Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found out what was specifically done differently to the 2018 steering geometry to make it track so much better. Polaris said the did not make any changes other than to tighten up some components and to change setup. I would love to get this done to my unit before my next long trip.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next time I get to the dealer I will speak to them about letting me measure a new one. I would think some information might be available in the 2018 maintenance manual if anyone has one.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think getting the tracking corrected will be one of the biggest improvements we can make. I am surprised that retailers like Slingmods or Slinghshots only have not developed a kit as yet. The first one out the gate will be set for a lot of sales.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I think getting the tracking corrected will be one of the biggest improvements we can make. I am surprised that retailers like Slingmods or Slinghshots only have not developed a kit as yet. The first one out the gate will be set for a lot of sales.
I would imagine that most mods developed specifically for the Slingshot probably don't have the potential liability that could come with such a mod.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, with the existing steering being so dangerous you would think that even Slingshot would recommend it. Oh well, we will figure it out here in the group :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not really, the steering on my unit is really bad, it wanders and is a bit darty. My dealer said that is they way they are supposed to be but after reading that the 2018 has been changed they must have realized how bad they really are.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Not really, the steering on my unit is really bad, it wanders and is a bit darty. My dealer said that is they way they are supposed to be but after reading that the 2018 has been changed they must have realized how bad they really are.
OK, well maybe there is something wrong with your steering then for after getting the "glitch" repaired with our 2015 early on, our steering has never done anything unexpected or unpredictable, in fact, I just returned from playing in the rain on some twisties. We have been thinking of having it laser aligned just out of curiosity, but that means a three hour ride each way so we'll be waiting until summer.

Bill

·
2,326 Posts

Has your dealer offered to align it .....

In case you are not aware Polaris has made their own version laser alignment system specific to the Slingshot available to dealers for well over a year now. Your dealer should also be able to confirm if any of the alignment specs have been updated for '18 ...

·
Registered
386 Posts
The laser alignment tool Polaris has made dealers buy is very good. As long as the tech using it knows what to do, it will solve most handling/darting/tracking/ steering issues. I know we did over 75 alignments at SSITS last year and a lot of those people came back and thanked us. :)

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
Mine had handled great since my first laxer alignment. I now get it every year to keep it in perfect shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,158 Posts
Polaris could not get my Neigbors to handle right and gave him credit on a new 18slr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dealer does not have laser alignment. I think the caster is off but from the pics mine looks like it already has been done. All the shims are in the front with a thin shim at the back.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I don't think you get it. The dealers that carry Slingshot were not "offered" to buy a laser alignment tool kit. They were sent one and were charged. Polaris does this with several service items and tools. @xd675x said this, because he knows first hand.

If your normal dealership "lost" theirs, drive to another dealership and get it laser aligned.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts