Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Since you mentioned random, I'd check the wiring to/from the Start button for any shorts that might occur due to wire flex, etc.. First, I'd check the battery terminal connections to make sure you have good connections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said completely random. It starts most of the time when I push the button then out of the blue it's a no go. I was thinking maybe a relay switch not engaging or disengaging. No clue. I guess it's not common

·
Registered
377 Posts
When you turn on the key, do you get any power at all? Does the start button light up when you turn on the key? If no, start checking for power otherwise.

If yes, do you hear any click when pushing the button or is it just completely dead? If click, check for battery voltage (possible old battery?). If not start checking other interlocks (clutch switch, etc). This is where it starts to get tricky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you turn on the key, do you get any power at all? Does the start button light up when you turn on the key? If no, start checking for power otherwise.

If yes, do you hear any click when pushing the button or is it just completely dead? If click, check for battery voltage (possible old battery?). If not start checking other interlocks (clutch switch, etc). This is where it starts to get tricky.
Yes I have power and button lights up. No clicking whatsoever. One incident I kept turning off and on the key for 5 minutes and it finally started. Thank goodness cuz I had 2 ladies sitting next to me ready for a spin through the parking lot.. I normally just roll start in 2nd gear or reverse..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Right after I bought my 2019, I was wiring in something at the battery and bumped the ground cable that bolts to the frame and it moved. It had always started, but I tightened it well and have had no other issues.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yes I have power and button lights up. No clicking whatsoever. One incident I kept turning off and on the key for 5 minutes and it finally started. Thank goodness cuz I had 2 ladies sitting next to me ready for a spin through the parking lot.. I normally just roll start in 2nd gear or reverse..
I just checked the 2015-17 Service Manual and didn't find any ignition switch test procedures, but from your post, I suspect a problem with your ignition switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the magnetic clutch switch. It gets covered with metal shavings and thinks the clutch is released. I jumped the connection under the hood where the clutch switch plugs in and it started right up. I replace the switch and everything was fine again. Cleaned the shavings off the old one and it's fine now.
https://www.amazon.ca/Polaris-Slingshot-Micro-Switch-4015361/dp/B01MUA9TDN
Randy

·
Registered
310 Posts
Like I said completely random. It starts most of the time when I push the button then out of the blue it's a no go. I was thinking maybe a relay switch not engaging or disengaging. No clue. I guess it's not common
I've experienced occasional non-starts, too. I suspect the starter mechanism - a failure of starter motor gear to mesh with flywheel. In every case, a short roll relieved the difficulty and enabled normal start.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've experienced occasional non-starts, too. I suspect the starter mechanism - a failure of starter motor gear to mesh with flywheel. In every case, a short roll relieved the difficulty and enabled normal start.
Yea, I had that on my last SS. I figured it was a combination of the starter just being in the wrong angle to turn over and a 3 yr old weak battery. But yeah, most times just rolling a foot or 2 helps. Except that one time that it didn't . . . . . . .:banghead: :banghead: :banhappy:

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If the starter solenoid is weakening and/or you have a weak battery, the starter won't engage, but if it starts sometimes and not others, it's probably a bigger problem than just the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It started every time while out riding yesterday. I made three or four stops. Then last night leaving to go home it wouldn't. Had to roll it. While parked at home after shutoff I tried to restart. No Go
However, this morning she started right up... It's a bloody mystery!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same thing happen Monday. I've had it for a year and almost 10,000 mile and no problems.

Went for a ride the other day and we stopped for groceries. Came out of the store put they key in, turned it and nothing happened. No power. Nothing.

Did a quick visual, fuses etc. When I checked the battery charger plug hanging out the back, which the dealer installed, there was no LED on. I touched it and the red LED came on. I wiggled it and the yellow LED came on. I pulled on it gently and it moved and the green LED came on. I gently wiggled it and the green LED stayed on.

I turn on the key and had power. Drove home and inspected the battery. Both terminals were loose. Apparently when the dealer installed the battery charger plug the technician did not tighten the connections completely.

Ran fine today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the magnetic clutch switch. It gets covered with metal shavings and thinks the clutch is released. I jumped the connection under the hood where the clutch switch plugs in and it started right up. I replace the switch and everything was fine again. Cleaned the shavings off the old one and it's fine now.
https://www.amazon.ca/Polaris-Slingshot-Micro-Switch-4015361/dp/B01MUA9TDN
Randy
how did you get to the switch to replace it.did alot of covers have to be removed,was difficult to get to.would appreciate any info on replacing it.thx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts