Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reviewed many post regarding Optima Yellow Battery replacement. I installed my battery and while extremely tight to say the least, the cables don’t reach the terminals. The terminals are opposite polarity from the stock battery. I turned the battery around and putting the + cable took me hours to get it on.... it was grooling and my neighbors heard me cursing up the street.
The ground is too short and all the wires are stressed (amp, lights, tender, etc)

I haven’t seen one Optima Yellow turned around.
Did anyone have to install longer battery cables?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Why go through all of this hassle to install an over-priced aftermarket battery not specifically designed for the SlingShot when you can easily purchase a much more inexpensive OEM, or OEM equivalent, battery, that will slip right in??

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Obviously you haven't tried to turn the radio on when the engines not running. The factory wimpy batteries SUCK!!. I had mine in the garage learning the settings on the dash for maybe 10 minutes when it was 3 days old and the battery died. Had to jump yours yet? After you go through that PITA you'll be buying the terminal extenders that go behind the drivers seat too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Obviously you haven't tried to turn the radio on when the engines not running. The factory wimpy batteries SUCK!!. I had mine in the garage learning the settings on the dash for maybe 10 minutes when it was 3 days old and the battery died. Had to jump yours yet? After you go through that PITA you'll be buying the terminal extenders that go behind the drivers seat too.
25,000 miles and our stock battery is over five years old now where it has yet to fail us at any time, even with the SlingShot sitting for weeks at a time! :unsure:

Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why go through all of this hassle to install an over-priced aftermarket battery not specifically designed for the SlingShot when you can easily purchase a much more inexpensive OEM, or OEM equivalent, battery, that will slip right in??

Bill
Hi Bill. The small ATV battery in the SS was 4-years old and although it was not dead and held a charge, I didn’t want to get stuck somewhere and a jump start isn’t too easy. So I was proactive and installed the yellow top. Also, I have some LED, HID headlights, 2- amps and a sub. It was only a matter of time.

be well and stay healthy

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Good morning Eric, I perfectly see your point of if your are replacing your battery anyways, why not go with a better one, I get that. I guess my reaction to your original post was starting with the title of your post, and then your getting all upset while attempting to install an aftermarket battery not designed for the SlingShot and finding that it was not a slip-in fit, as if it was the manufacturer's or battery's fault? I apologize if my reaction came across maybe a bit too strong.

Is your SlingShot a 2016, or a 2016.5, for I believe that they use different batteries?

Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning Eric, I perfectly see your point of if your are replacing your battery anyways, why not go with a better one, I get that. I guess my reaction to your original post was starting with the title of your post, and then your getting all upset while attempting to install an aftermarket battery not designed for the SlingShot and finding that it was not a slip-in fit, as if it was the manufacturer's or battery's fault? I apologize if my reaction came across maybe a bit too strong.

Is your SlingShot a 2016, or a 2016.5, for I believe that they use different batteries?

Bill
Hey Bill,

2016.5 SL LE. No need to apologize at all. All good discussion. My frustration I guess was most if not all photos of same battery installs went in with the same polarity as mine yet I had to rotate the battery 360 to get it connected.

it’s in now and I have calmed down. LMAO

Thanks for the response. 🤝

·
Registered
40 Posts
I reviewed many post regarding Optima Yellow Battery replacement. I installed my battery and while extremely tight to say the least, the cables don’t reach the terminals. The terminals are opposite polarity from the stock battery. I turned the battery around and putting the + cable took me hours to get it on.... it was grooling and my neighbors heard me cursing up the street.
The ground is too short and all the wires are stressed (amp, lights, tender, etc)

I haven’t seen one Optima Yellow turned around.
Did anyone have to install longer battery cables?
I did. it also makes it much easier to install and remove.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did. it also makes it much easier to install and remove.
Hi again tech. I had to get a longer ground to make it work. The positive cable it very tight and I don’t like it. I ordered a 12” positive cable that will be extended to reach; I hope it’s long enough. I didn’t want to go 24”. What size (length) cable did you add?

Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am sorry, but I don't recall. I think they may have been 18". My setup is a little different, because I also added jump ports. BTW, if you need to address the main fuse recall, you may want to do that first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sorry, but I don't recall. I think they may have been 18". My setup is a little different, because I also added jump ports. BTW, if you need to address the main fuse recall, you may want to do that first.
Good point. I still have the brake seals and fuse recalls pending. My SS is 2016.5 SL LE. Do they actually relocate the fuses next to the battery?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi again tech. I had to get a longer ground to make it work. The positive cable it very tight and I don’t like it. I ordered a 12” positive cable that will be extended to reach; I hope it’s long enough. I didn’t want to go 24”. What size (length) cable did you add?

Thank you
I used this Optima Battery on a 2015 SS SL, did not have any installation problems whatsoever. Did not need extensions, adapters or mounting plate.
Is this the battery you are using?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts