Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 would occasionally refuse to start. When I turn the key, the gauge cluster does its thing, with the needle sweep and all, and most of the lights go off (except hand brake and seatbelt, usually). I would press the clutch down, and press the start button. I would hear the relay click on, then click off after a second, but engine doesn't turn over. It's definitely not the rapid clicking of a weak battery, and the fact that the relay clicks rules out the clutch position sensor (I would think). I have tested by not depressing the clutch and pressing the start button, and the relay would not click, so I am pretty sure it's not the clutch position sensor. I think the relay clicking also rules out any immobilizer from alarm systems (I do have the Polaris Slingshot factory alarm)

When this happens, I can press the start button every few seconds, and sometimes it would start after a few attempts, and sometimes not. Sometimes, it turns over right before the relay clicks off, and on next press of the start button, it would start strong and immediately. If it doesn't start after a few tries, I can rock the car in gear a few times, and it seems to help greatly in getting it to start on subsequent attempts.

I have already tried swapping the relays too, and that doesn't seem to have done anything. The vehicle has a group 96R car battery that's about a year old. So I don't think the battery is the issue. I have also checked and double checked and tripled checked the connections, and it is definitely tight.

The car is still under warranty, but Bert's Mega Mall (the dealer closest to me) takes 3 days to even look at it, and there is a good chance they will tell me they can't reproduce the issue. And even if they can reproduce the issue when they finally have time to look at it, it would be a 20 mile ride to drop the car off, and a week without the vehicle, followed by another 20 mile ride to go pick it up.

So if anyone has any ideas on what else to check, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Peter

·
Registered
166 Posts
do a starter draw test or tap on starter with a hammer and see if that works.....idk...starter...you could get a solstice/sky starter....or rock auto...2.4l ecotech...no go local and you would be able to return....autozone/pep boys...….it is a 16 so a battery could be issue...bad cell...good luck

·
Registered
683 Posts
A voltmeter installed somewhere is a very handy thing, as Ej said, could be a battery and we've seen them cause problems a lot with symptoms like this.

I installed one of these in my glove box next to the power outlet in there. Even tapped the wires of that power outlet to power this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OKBSB/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies so far guys, but the car have a fairly new group 96R Bosch Platinum battery (what happens to fit a 2008 - 2012 Chevy Malibu with the 2.4 ecotec) that I put in about a year ago, and the vehicle is driven for 70 miles 4 to 5 days a week(which is why having it at a dealer for a week is a major inconvenience). I am really leaning toward the sticking starter, but wanted to get everyone's input on what else could be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts