Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. New to the world of Slingshot and enjoying the heck out of my used 2016 SL. Radio has a problem though. Around 13 or so, it pops and cuts out repeatedly. Audio guy says it’s not a recoverable issue and his solution is $2000. Yikes.

Anyone have this problem and a more affordable solution? Thanks!

Sling on brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have been having the problem in USB or Bluetooth, but not on FM. See my thread http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/usb-bluetooth-cut-out-fm-no-reception-traded-stereos-still-issues.167105/ here. I've even started a separate case with Polaris myself. They have sent a brand new (not reconditioned) stereo to the dealer where it is being installed today. As soon as I get it back, I'll let you know if I still have the problem. Given that they have already switched the stereo once, I'm not optimistic.

Otherwise, I have been looking going 2 ways:
  1. Go Bluetooth amplifier alone and just play stuff from my phone or tablet. That's what I do the most anyways because of the crappy FM reception.
  2. Replace the head unit with one of the Pioneer AVH series. That seems to be a popular choice and you can get them for about $200 NOS (new old stock) on ebay. There is a wire harness and mounting kit that makes this almost plug-n-play and keeps the rear camera.
  3. Or actually a third way - Trading in for the new 2018 SL in Navy Blue...... (sigh).
Let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been having the problem in USB or Bluetooth, but not on FM. See my thread http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/usb-bluetooth-cut-out-fm-no-reception-traded-stereos-still-issues.167105/ here. I've even started a separate case with Polaris myself. They have sent a brand new (not reconditioned) stereo to the dealer where it is being installed today. As soon as I get it back, I'll let you know if I still have the problem. Given that they have already switched the stereo once, I'm not optimistic.

Otherwise, I have been looking going 2 ways:
  1. Go Bluetooth amplifier alone and just play stuff from my phone or tablet. That's what I do the most anyways because of the crappy FM reception.
  2. Replace the head unit with one of the Pioneer AVH series. That seems to be a popular choice and you can get them for about $200 NOS (new old stock) on ebay. There is a wire harness and mounting kit that makes this almost plug-n-play and keeps the rear camera.
  3. Or actually a third way - Trading in for the new 2018 SL in Navy Blue...... (sigh).
Let me know what you come up with.
Thanks for the response. Forgot to mention that Audio guy said the cutting out is damage to the unit from moisture and he’s seen it before. His replacement unit installed would be approx. $800 using existing speakers which are crap. Either way looks like I’m in for some bux.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Forgot to mention that Audio guy said the cutting out is damage to the unit from moisture and he’s seen it before. His replacement unit installed would be approx. $800 using existing speakers which are crap. Either way looks like I’m in for some bux.
Audio guy also told me that the Slingshot radio units don’t like the power iPhones require and that upsets things. He suggested using a USB unit as an alternative or an iPod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an issue with the radio cutting out when turning “off” high beams. The dealer put in a new wiring harness from Polaris under warranty. Not sure if it is related or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I presume you have the 3 speaker stock system? 5-1/4"? There's a thread on here about switching the stock speakers with Pioneers - about $40-50/set (Here's the thread: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/has-anyone-replaced-the-stock-5-25-speaker.6089/page-22#post-801833). I switched out the stock 5-1/4 plug-n-play, but the 3-1/2 took a little finagling. I ended up gluing the 3-1/2" to the inside of the speaker box and put SHCScrews in front that looked pretty good. HUGE difference in sound for less than $100, especially if you're not going to put in a separate amplifier.

And if you're anywhere mechanically inclined, replacing the head unit with the mounting kits and harnesses (ebay "slingshot stereo mounting kit") is not a huge undertaking, mostly plug-n-play with very basic tools. That's where I'm headed next if this stereo replacement doesn't work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I presume you have the 3 speaker stock system? 5-1/4"? There's a thread on here about switching the stock speakers with Pioneers - about $40-50/set (Here's the thread: http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/has-anyone-replaced-the-stock-5-25-speaker.6089/page-22#post-801833). I switched out the stock 5-1/4 plug-n-play, but the 3-1/2 took a little finagling. I ended up gluing the 3-1/2" to the inside of the speaker box and put SHCScrews in front that looked pretty good. HUGE difference in sound for less than $100, especially if you're not going to put in a separate amplifier.

And if you're anywhere mechanically inclined, replacing the head unit with the mounting kits and harnesses (ebay "slingshot stereo mounting kit") is not a huge undertaking, mostly plug-n-play with very basic tools. That's where I'm headed next if this stereo replacement doesn't work.
Thanks! I have 3 speakers on each side plus another that is obviously non-standard. The problem I’m having is not the speakers, it’s the unit itself cutting out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, agree. I understand the problem is with the head unit. That's my same problem.

As a separate issue, I was simply saying if you wanted to get much better sound without too much money, the pioneer speakers are a good replacement for the stock speakers. If you have 3 speakers in the pods, that the 5-1/4" system. In later versions, they did do a 2 speaker system with a 6-1/2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You’re an awesome resoource! I do have the three on each side and will definitely take your advice to upgrade the 5 1/2 speakers!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Update: Got the SS back with a NEW stereo and it still has the problems. So far, we have:
  1. Verified the skipping on my USB.
  2. Verified the skipping on my Bluetooth from both Samsung S5 and S8 Galaxy phones.
  3. Verified the skipping on THEIR PERSONAL Bluetooth phones (Samsung- I don't know about Apple) on my stereo.
  4. Verified my USB did NOT skip in another SlingShot stereo.
  5. Pulled another stereo from an existing stock SlingShot and verified it continued to skip in my SS.
  6. Put my stereo in that other SS and verified it did NOT skip.
  7. Replaced Back Up Camera.
  8. Replaced Antenna.
  9. Replaced USB cable.
  10. Replaced Infotainment system with an entirely new system and verified it continued to skip.
I do NOT believe this is a stereo issue but perhaps an electrical issue. I still have an open case with Polaris and will update with any information that they have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Got the SS back with a NEW stereo and it still has the problems. So far, we have:
  1. Verified the skipping on my USB.
  2. Verified the skipping on my Bluetooth from both Samsung S5 and S8 Galaxy phones.
  3. Verified the skipping on THEIR PERSONAL Bluetooth phones (Samsung- I don't know about Apple) on my stereo.
  4. Verified my USB did NOT skip in another SlingShot stereo.
  5. Pulled another stereo from an existing stock SlingShot and verified it continued to skip in my SS.
  6. Put my stereo in that other SS and verified it did NOT skip.
  7. Replaced Back Up Camera.
  8. Replaced Antenna.
  9. Replaced USB cable.
  10. Replaced Infotainment system with an entirely new system and verified it continued to skip.
I do NOT believe this is a stereo issue but perhaps an electrical issue. I still have an open case with Polaris and will update with any information that they have.
Yikes! Polaris should hire you as a field tester since that’s what you’re doing. Thanks for the response. Seems electrical to me at this point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yikes! Polaris should hire you as a field tester since that’s what you’re doing. Thanks for the response. Seems electrical to me at this point.
Yeah, I now have a 3-way conversation going between Polaris, the dealer, and me. They (Polaris) thinks it's my USB/Phone which I disagree. But just in case, I tested both in another vehicle the past 2 days (2018 Chevy Cruze Hatchback - rental) and I could not get either to skip no matter what I did. It's not those. Dealer said that Polaris says they are sending another display screen (I thought they already replaced that?) so that's where I'm at right now. I was going to play with the cross-overs inside the speaker pods this weekend to see if that could be it. That's basically the only thing not replaced yet, but I don't know how 2 separate x-overs would go out at the same time shutting down music from both sides?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey everyone. New to the world of Slingshot and enjoying the heck out of my used 2016 SL. Radio has a problem though. Around 13 or so, it pops and cuts out repeatedly. Audio guy says it’s not a recoverable issue and his solution is $2000. Yikes.

Anyone have this problem and a more affordable solution? Thanks!

Sling on brothers and sisters!
Mine did the same thing, random cutting out when volume was over 13. I always use USB and an ipod, so I dont know if it would do it with the radio. Finally got tired of it and had a Rockford Fosgate installed ($700). Better quality sound and louder, but no Bluetooth so I gave to use an old iphone to feed the Sena in my helmet when on the freeway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine did the same thing, random cutting out when volume was over 13. I always use USB and an ipod, so I dont know if it would do it with the radio. Finally got tired of it and had a Rockford Fosgate installed ($700). Better quality sound and louder, but no Bluetooth so I gave to use an old iphone to feed the Sena in my helmet when on the freeway.
Thanks. I’m thinking of a new radio installed too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I gave up on Polaris. Bought a Pioneer MVH-300EX instead - 7" screen, Bluetooth, Aux, USB - but no DVD/CD/GPS - didn't figure I'ld need those in the SS anyways. Did have to buy a 2nd $11 rear camera to replace the stock one, but after getting it all done, I now have Back Up Cam to 7" monitor as well as I can turn on the rear cam whenever I want for rear view mirror usage. $300 total - did install myself without cutting any factory wires. (I did pull the speaker wires out of the main connector and put them into a new Molex connector I had, but I can always reverse it to stock if needed.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave up on Polaris. Bought a Pioneer MVH-300EX instead - 7" screen, Bluetooth, Aux, USB - but no DVD/CD/GPS - didn't figure I'ld need those in the SS anyways. Did have to buy a 2nd $11 rear camera to replace the stock one, but after getting it all done, I now have Back Up Cam to 7" monitor as well as I can turn on the rear cam whenever I want for rear view mirror usage. $300 total - did install myself without cutting any factory wires. (I did pull the speaker wires out of the main connector and put them into a new Molex connector I had, but I can always reverse it to stock if needed.)
Thanks for the response. Just getting time to go to the dealer to discuss later this week, but your solution is most likely what I will do too. I'd like it to work, but in the end, I'm not sure I care that much. I have a bluetooth earbud set that helps protect my hearing and gives me access to my iPhone music and GPS. I bought a blind spot mirror off Amazon that works really well for improving the rear view deficiencies of the Slinghot. Haven't missed the Harley much yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts