Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been dealing with this issue for almost a year and 2 trips to the local polaris repair dealer with no resolve to the problem

ive changed the starter, swapped relays under the hood with the fuel relay, swapped the battery. swaped the push button and still cant seem to figure what could be going on.

i turn forward the key and lights come on then push the start button and it just clicks and stops. if i put a charger or jumper on the battery, it will start. so seems to be that if the battery is anywhere under 12v it wont start.

battery voltage is around 12.6-12.8 before i turn the key. then as soon as i turn the key it drops to 12-1 or under and doesn't start.

i noticed that there is a somewhat thin blue wire (maybe 12awg) going from the alternator to the starter which i assume is the charge cable. could it be that this is not enough wire thickness to charge the battery after starting?

thanks for your help in advance...

RoB
#rob20rx7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had a similar problem few years back New battery pulled ground off batt. plate cleaned the eyelet sanded the plate where it contacts reattached smeared some grease on that cleaned and greased the post that comes off the fuse block back next the batt. the + term connects too have not had that happen since

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once you get it started test at the Alternator with a Volt meter. If you area getting 14 Volts then it is not the Alternator. Do you have any aftermarket parts? If you do you may have a ground issue and that will drain down your battery. Also that wire does not look like 8 Gauge. You should have at a minimum 8 gauge back to the battery and 6 Gauge. Tricled lights are know to cause this issue. If you have the lights going to a fuse hook them up to run off the ignition side.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2016 model and there hasn't been any problem with the alternator or wiring under the hood. There have been TWO problems with the ground cable that runs from the battery to the frame. I'd definitely recommend that you start there. First, as already mentioned, the battery ground cable at the frame was loose and had some corrosion under it. I removed the cable, used a wire brush to remove the paint / corrosion and reinstalled. I also coated it with some electrical grease to protect it. A few months later while doing some rear exit exhaust work, I went to remove the battery and when I grabbed the negative cable it literally pulled out of the crimp of the battery terminal (that connects to the battery). I removed the cable and terminal and found that the factory did a poor crimp job on it. I could push the cable all the way back in by hand ! So I went to the auto parts store and bought 2 new terminals and replaced the them. Problem solved. BTW, I installed the Optima Yellow Top 34/78 battery in 2017 to eliminate the small battery problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The more I thought about this. If you are able to jump it and the vehicle runs than it certainly is not the Alternator. If you can jump it and run the vehicle and stop it and re-start later, its not the battery. If those two things are happening you have something draining down your battery while its sitting. Best test, if it starts and runs, with radio and lights and you stop and go inside somewhere and come back out within 2 hours and it starts its not the battery, the Alternator, the cable wire, you have something pulling and draining your battery while it sits over night or several days. This eventually will ruin your battery to the point of replacing and the cycle will begin. You will not notice it at first but after time you end up with the same issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
so ive been dealing with this issue for almost a year and 2 trips to the local polaris repair dealer with no resolve to the problem

ive changed the starter, swapped relays under the hood with the fuel relay, swapped the battery. swaped the push button and still cant seem to figure what could be going on.

i turn forward the key and lights come on then push the start button and it just clicks and stops. if i put a charger or jumper on the battery, it will start. so seems to be that if the battery is anywhere under 12v it wont start.

battery voltage is around 12.6-12.8 before i turn the key. then as soon as i turn the key it drops to 12-1 or under and doesn't start.

i noticed that there is a somewhat thin blue wire (maybe 12awg) going from the alternator to the starter which i assume is the charge cable. could it be that this is not enough wire thickness to charge the battery after starting?

thanks for your help in advance...

RoB
#rob20rx7
That wire has a fusible link in it; if it's blown you won't be charging the battery even if the alternator output is OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts