Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I just ordered a replacement for a Covid-19 "can't ride" dead battery in my 2015 Slingshot SL. What came in the mail from Amazon was smaller than my battery and had different terminals (it's an AJC). Amazon won't accept the return, so it seems like I'm stuck with it, even though I used their "part finder".

Does anyone know of the cheapest battery that actually DOES fit and has the right posts? Thanks in advance.

Pic is what I had versus what I received.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The battery that you received appears to possibly be for a 2016.5 or newer. I believe that you will find that any standard Group 26, or 34 battery should work for your 2015.

Just a thought where looking at your current battery's physical condition, you may find that if you do a little preventative maintenance by cleaning it up, (especially the terminals), checking the water level, and recharging, it may still work for you?

Water with a little baking soda to clean up the exterior of the battery
Adding distilled water if fluid level is low
Cleaning the terminals, and terminal ends of the cables, using the likes of steel wool or a tool such as this:
1592571940874.png
We do our battery at least once a year.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your detailed response, Bill! I had a large amount of trouble finding any information at all on the battery. It's like Polaris thinks they'll just last forever. In regards to the condition of the existing battery, I'm afraid that it sat for too long and won't even take a trickle charge after the terminals being cleaned and the fluid topped up. Normally, I'd be doing the preventative maintenance on it, but I went through a bout of chemo and radiation last year, and with Covid on top of it, the Sling hasn't left the garage in a year. I'm going to swap out the fuel as well just in case.

Based on your links, it looks like the batteries are in stock in my town! I really appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at these:

and

I don't believe the Sling is reverse-terminal (26r/34r), but please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Is the general gist just to go with the most CCA? In that case, the Group 34 has 690, versus 540 in the 26. That, and the 34 seems to be "in stock".

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just so you know. The group 34 is 2 inches longer than the 26. It'll fit, but it's a little tight (especially if you have a rear exhaust). Don't get the "R". I still have the stock battery in mine and let it sit too long a couple years ago. It wouldn't take a charge either. I tried an old trick that actually worked! I put a box over the top of it and turned it upside down and shook the shit out of it for about 30 seconds. It'll leak some, but that's what the box is for. when I turned it back over and put it on the charger it jumped from 2v to 6v and started taking a charge. It's a phenomenon called acid stratification. The electrolyte on a stratified battery concentrates on the bottom, causing the upper half of the cell to be acid poor.

I'm still running that battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know. The group 34 is 2 inches longer than the 26. It'll fit, but it's a little tight (especially if you have a rear exhaust). Don't get the "R". I still have the stock battery in mine and let it sit too long a couple years ago. It wouldn't take a charge either. I tried an old trick that actually worked! I put a box over the top of it and turned it upside down and shook the shit out of it for about 30 seconds. It'll leak some, but that's what the box is for. when I turned it back over and put it on the charger it jumped from 2v to 6v and started taking a charge. It's a phenomenon called acid stratification. The electrolyte on a stratified battery concentrates on the bottom, causing the upper half of the cell to be acid poor.

I'm still running that battery
Wow, great tip, Bryan, thank you! I am putting the Sling onto Turo (via a manager who stores the vehicle locally and takes care of dealing with renters). I paid $32k for it new, but I can't really drive it anymore (my recovery isn't coming along as fast as I'd hoped) and selling it has been very difficult. It has fewer than 2,000 miles, is in PERFECT shape, and I can't seem to get an offer over $17,500. People keep emailing me links to Slings with 68,000 miles that sell for $16,000 and want me to "match". I guess that's my long-winded way of saying why I'd like to put in a new battery: so my renters don't have any unforseen issues. I bought the 34 because it was in stock. If it doesn't fit, I'll go with the 26. :)

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
956 Posts
@2015battery There is another option that would be better than the maintenance type battery replacement. Look at the Optima battery as one to replace. It cost more but will give better maintenance free service. You may have to replace the Battery tray to accommodate the unique shape of the Optima Battery. I will let you give it thought and research.
I do have a video on how to install the battery tray to hold a Optima battery for the 2017, will give you an idea of what is involved.

Optima Battery Tray Installation Procure

·
Registered
37 Posts
NAPA makes a zero maintenance type 26 battery that is reasonably priced and ends the battery acid fume problem.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If you live near a Rural King store, they offer an AGM Group 34 battery with 770 CCA, IIRC. Typical price is under $150 and often on sale for less, sometimes under $100! IIRC, they no longer ship them. Pep Boys used to sell a Bosch AGM battery that looks to be identical for a little more, so you might check with them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
@2015battery There is another option that would be better than the maintenance type battery replacement. Look at the Optima battery as one to replace. It cost more but will give better maintenance free service. You may have to replace the Battery tray to accommodate the unique shape of the Optima Battery. I will let you give it thought and research.
I do have a video on how to install the battery tray to hold a Optima battery for the 2017, will give you an idea of what is involved.

Optima Battery Tray Installation Procure
You will not need a battery tray for the Optima Group 34 battery to be installed in a 2015 or 2016 Slingshot, the tray is only needed for 2016.5 or later!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts