Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know this sounds like a petty issue compared to some of the others out there, but this been bugging me to no end.

The Slingshot SLR I purchased back in July, still under 2,000 miles, sounds worse than my 20-year-old SUV when it comes to sounds that would indicate heavy use.

Any time I drive over anything bigger than a pebble, the front wheels (I assume the shocks?) will make this loud squeaking noise that you'd probably only expect from a pickup truck built in the 70's (no offense to any owners out there). It's loud enough that I jokingly apologize to anyone riding with me, because it's that loud and noticeable. This has been an issue since about week one, and when I brought it in to the dealer for the 500 mile service, they charged me 2 hours of extra work to try and find the issue and said they couldn't replicate it (B.S., by the way, I imagine they just couldn't figure out how to fix it)

Another issue that started just last week is now the driver seat is creaking loudly every time I get in, out, or do any kind of movement (either shift around, breath heavily, or accelerate). It was completely silent before but now it honestly feels like a bolt has come loose or something. I didn't notice it before, but the seat has some give to it if you press back, letting it rock maybe half an inch. Not sure if it's related or not...

Anyways, it's not affecting the performance of the slingshot, but all these sounds are both embarrassing and worrisome that they're only going to get worse in time. A vehicle 2 months old shouldn't be making these sounds!

Anyone experience something similar? Any fixes out there? I tried looking (albeit, briefly) through the forums for someone else bringing this up but came up short. I'd rather not go back to the dealer as they'll probably just charge me another $200 to say they can't find anything wrong.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
156 Posts
wow....a few months old and the dealer charged you....not right...find another dealer...get a can of the proper spray lubricant for what your spraying...shocks,front end bushings and joints and see if you can quiet it down....the seat hinge and pivot with a dry lube....who knows maybe you can find it....good luck

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Unfortunately, some of the seats have experienced poorly fabricated mounts where the seat back or bottom bolts to the frame. If this is part of your problem, your dealer should be able to identify the problem and provide replacements seats.
Two suggestions - Try using an actioncam or your phone to capture the noise while driving so you can play the sound for the mechanic or have your mechanic or service manager ride with you so you can point out the sounds and they can experience the noises while riding. If they claim they don't have time, find a new dealer and complain to Polaris. Your vehicle is new enough that you deserve proper attention. Assuming you can replicate the noises for someone from the dealership, I'd want them to refund the money you paid, since identifying the noises should have been part of your warranty coverage, IMO.
If your dealer continues to not be able to fix things, call Polaris and open a complaint. Attention from Polaris corporate should help motivate the dealer and Polaris may also be able to provide thed ealer some expertise in resolving any issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had the same issue, sounded like a bird chirping after hitting every bump. Drove me nuts & I felt embarrassed giving people introduction rides till I finally pinned down the reason. Place some grease on the four hood latches, post and catch mechanism.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I know this sounds like a petty issue compared to some of the others out there, but this been bugging me to no end.

The Slingshot SLR I purchased back in July, still under 2,000 miles, sounds worse than my 20-year-old SUV when it comes to sounds that would indicate heavy use.

Any time I drive over anything bigger than a pebble, the front wheels (I assume the shocks?) will make this loud squeaking noise that you'd probably only expect from a pickup truck built in the 70's (no offense to any owners out there). It's loud enough that I jokingly apologize to anyone riding with me, because it's that loud and noticeable. This has been an issue since about week one, and when I brought it in to the dealer for the 500 mile service, they charged me 2 hours of extra work to try and find the issue and said they couldn't replicate it (B.S., by the way, I imagine they just couldn't figure out how to fix it)

Another issue that started just last week is now the driver seat is creaking loudly every time I get in, out, or do any kind of movement (either shift around, breath heavily, or accelerate). It was completely silent before but now it honestly feels like a bolt has come loose or something. I didn't notice it before, but the seat has some give to it if you press back, letting it rock maybe half an inch. Not sure if it's related or not...

Anyways, it's not affecting the performance of the slingshot, but all these sounds are both embarrassing and worrisome that they're only going to get worse in time. A vehicle 2 months old shouldn't be making these sounds!

Anyone experience something similar? Any fixes out there? I tried looking (albeit, briefly) through the forums for someone else bringing this up but came up short. I'd rather not go back to the dealer as they'll probably just charge me another $200 to say they can't find anything wrong.

Thank you so much!
Call the factory. It’s still under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you so much!
Same problem. I have found that the fender up under the turn signal and also near the metal plate near the cabin where the rubber stops are will bang when hitting a bump. I put some weatherstripping on them on the hood. It seemed to help but the weatherstripping got torn out from air flow. I just put some better stuff in there today and will see if that stops any of the banging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts