Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my SS last Wednesday, and only drove it around the block a few times... Well, today was my first day off and took a trip down the California coast. Here's, what's happening:

- clicking sound from the rear. I can only hear it going slow or pulling away from a stop

- an exhaust leak up front

- won't shift into reverse... I have to go forward, try again, go forward some more, try again, go forward even more, and try it again with a lil umph

- cruise control set button fell out and I haven't even had a chance to use it yet... I didn't notice till lunch break

I'm a little disappointed with Polaris right now!!! I'm feeling like I just gave the dealership $23,421 for a ticking time bomb! :arghh:

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
My experience with two different dealerships has been very positive
when it come to issues. Sounds like a Monday am or a Friday pm build that they talk about in the auto area. Get back to your dealer
asap. I've done 23,000+ miles with very few problems.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
All those problems are repairable and not all Polaris's fault. The transmission is a GM unit and has not been modified by Polaris. The issue of getting it into reverse has been ongoing for over 10 years. You can try what you've already done, or BEING CAREFUL as you're trying to pull it back into reverse, slowly let up slightly on the clutch. As the shaft rotates slightly, it will slide right into reverse 95% of the time. Just like a conventional bike when you're stopped at a light and have to roll the bike forward at times to shift back into first - same basic issue. The clicking could be the belt, or I doubt if it's a new unit, the rear bearings. I'd start by checking to see if the belt is clean and is not overly tight or running off the side of the pulley. At the first service (500 miles) give them a list of everything you've found and tell them to call you when it's fixed. I've had the cruise control multi-function assembly replaced already as well, but for a different c/c issue. The exhaust leak could be a broken or missing spring, or it may seal itself up after a few miles. In either case, if you're like most people, the exhaust is the first thing to get replaced with an upgraded version from any one of the great aftermarket vendors here.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just picked up my SS last Wednesday, and only drove it around the block a few times... Well, today was my first day off and took a trip down the California coast. Here's, what's happening:

- clicking sound from the rear. I can only hear it going slow or pulling away from a stop

- an exhaust leak up front

- won't shift into reverse... I have to go forward, try again, go forward some more, try again, go forward even more, and try it again with a lil umph

- cruise control set button fell out and I haven't even had a chance to use it yet... I didn't notice till lunch break

I'm a little disappointed with Polaris right now!!! I'm feeling like I just gave the dealership $23,421 for a ticking time bomb! :arghh:
Welcome, Mike. Unfortunately you are having some similar problems other new owners have had. Hopefully your dealer will respond appropriately. Don't delay reporting the issues.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Go ahead and report now, even if you do not take it in until the 500 mile service, try to follow the lead from the dealer

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All those problems are repairable and not all Polaris's fault. The transmission is a GM unit and has not been modified by Polaris. The issue of getting it into reverse has been ongoing for over 10 years. You can try what you've already done, or BEING CAREFUL as you're trying to pull it back into reverse, slowly let up slightly on the clutch. As the shaft rotates slightly, it will slide right into reverse 95% of the time. Just like a conventional bike when you're stopped at a light and have to roll the bike forward at times to shift back into first - same basic issue. The clicking could be the belt, or I doubt if it's a new unit, the rear bearings. I'd start by checking to see if the belt is clean and is not overly tight or running off the side of the pulley. At the first service (500 miles) give them a list of everything you've found and tell them to call you when it's fixed. I've had the cruise control multi-function assembly replaced already as well, but for a different c/c issue. The exhaust leak could be a broken or missing spring, or it may seal itself up after a few miles. In either case, if you're like most people, the exhaust is the first thing to get replaced with an upgraded version from any one of the great aftermarket vendors here.
GM didnt take his money.
:)
Im sure Polaris will fix it up under warranty but it is disheartening to say the least that Polaris has such crappy QC.
Still.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea... Left side is off already... Don't know where it went. The hood rattles every bump. I stopped by work on the way home and snagged foam door bumpers that GM uses when they ship cars, to prevent door dings. Just got done using gorilla glue to stick it on

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Call cycle springs get aftermarket set and gorilla glue on. Stop by dealer they are a warranted item got mine replaced with new bumpers and made a big difference. Welcome to the club. You will learn to love this red headed step child. I have range rover in my life so I'm used to loving to hate for a living. You want to talk about constant maintenance. You have no idea.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you sure it is an exhaust leak and not just the crap from a new exhaust system burning off? After I had the tranny fluid changed it goes into reverse real easy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yea... Left side is off already... Don't know where it went. The hood rattles every bump. I stopped by work on the way home and snagged foam door bumpers that GM uses when they ship cars, to prevent door dings. Just got done using gorilla glue to stick it on
Sorry Mike, this isn't the best way to start with a new vehicle. We all have had some issues with our SS's, some more than others. But it's a great product brought to market maybe a bit too quickly with demand far exceeding production.
Hang in there welcome to the forum and enjoy your new SS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mike, When I first got my Sling the exhaust stunk to high heaven. The smell is now gone, of course maybe the exhaust just fell off??? Had power steering pump replaced at 550 miles. Other than those things and a few at home adjustments my 2016 LE has been the most I've had in a long time with my pants on. I hope you get the bugs worked out and let the fun begin.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Most all dealers do some assembly and that's where a lot of these issues arise. Many times is a part time kid who really does care but most likely it's the lost of ownership and pride in our work. I did a lot of twicking the first months and to this day I still find stuff however the upside is now I know this baby inside out and dont let anyone touch it unless it's a Polaris recall or safety tip. Yeah I know you paid a setup fee but that was only TO SET YOU UP. ........:vulcan:

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
High performance vehicles are usually high maintenance. It is like having a girlfriend lots of excitement a pleasure but it comes with a price. Hell look at this thing it doesn't even look like those parts should work together but the do, and the ride is just as exhilarating as that girlfriend. @nemesis1701 hit the nail on the head it is usually dealer related. Don't lose faith you have a great machine and you will get all the help you need here.
Sling On!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned my SS for 2.5 weeks now, and it's back in the shop again... (had it for 3 days since it left the shop)... It's in the shop more than on the road... My traction control/stability control is messing up... It turns off (& light turns on) after driving 10-15 feet. My power steering also shuts down while driving. I took it to my dealer... They drove and hooked up the computer, pulling 3 codes. They asked me to bring it back another day so they can go through it. So I start the hour ride home and seen rain on the horizon, coming my way... So I turned around and left it at the dealer. Told them I don't want to see this thing again, until all the bugs are out. They said it'll be a couple days before they could really spend some time looking at it. I wasn't going to drive through the rain, without stability control, traction control, and power steering.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
... Oh, I forgot... After picking it up Saturday (from its first week long visit at the shop), I stopped for gas about 45 minutes away from the dealer and 15 minutes from home... Fill up, and I can't start the SS... Have it towed gone because the shop was closed until Monday. Sunday morning, I go to jump start the SS and see if I can get it to start... Damn negative battery terminal wasn't even connected!!! It was wedged between the terminal and the battery... The 45 minute ride must of wiggled it free. I think I need to start taking my SS to the shop 30 minutes further away

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
High performance vehicles are usually high maintenance. It is like having a girlfriend lots of excitement a pleasure but it comes with a price.
I understand that... I race motorcycles on road coarses... I've built up Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R and ring its neck, and on occasion accidentally throw it down the track at 90+ mph... But my Kawasaki takes it like a champ... My SS can't handle a fraction of it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts