Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some $18 LED strips at Walmart (urgh..)
Took the rear bottom panel apart and ran the wires through the license plate mount hole. Tapped it into the license plate light and blam ! LED running lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Love your mod, and will be doing the same and including installing some in the cockpit hooked to a switch...Thank you for posting a DYI thread.

I ordered the same strips from eBay ( a lot Cheaper directly from China). They will be here in 21 days, but it might still beat my Slingshot's arrival. LOL LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have bought quite a few led strips including some for the inside compartment and under carriage and I have a kit light for front. But no base model slingshot. Damn! GA just waiting. Very nice mod!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. The sticky tape that came with the kit wasn't adequate for the cold temp. So i used 3m clear tape instead. So now it's on pretty solid.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I started off by removing the upper section. Then when I got to the fuel tube thingie I realized I don't have a proper tool to remove the plastic nut(?) that was on the threaded fuel tube. So I went under and loosened the screw on the lower panel. Fed some line from underneath the tail lights through the license plate mount hole. Then I just tapped into the power from that. Very clean install. I'll probably do the same for the interior lights too. 12V in the storage compartment is ignition powered and the 12V between the seats is constant 12v power. So I'll just run the wires behind the compartment and tap in to the power supply from there. LED requires very little power so it shouldn't be a problem (over loading). Or if you want to add a switch and have a capability to turn it on whenever (even when the key is out of the ignition) you can tap the 12v power supply between the seats.

Or if you're going to install an alarm system you can wire it to the aux feature (if the alarm supports it) so you can turn it on and off with a remote.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What type of connectors did you use? Looking at different styles right now. Also thought about putting in a bus bar to be able to add stuff later

·
Registered
255 Posts
Any way to wire it so its a brake lite and running light? I have a tail tidy on my bike that has a programmed light that strobes when braking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts