Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the 1320 intake and high performance exhaust. I now have gas fumes that are so strong I cant drive my SS more than 10-20 miles without getting overwhelmed by the fumes. Can anyone tell me if Bob reprograms my ECU if this will eliminate this gas fume problem? Thanks for any and all advise.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Most likely not unless the tune needs to be learned out, which usually isn't the case.

It smells way worse than the old turbo machine?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Most likely not unless the tune needs to be learned out, which usually isn't the case.

It smells way worse than the old turbo machine?
YES- really strong gas fumes- cant identify where coming from exactly but appears to be from exhaust. Became really bad when prt gull wing top on with f4 5" over windshield. Put stock windshield on and it was better but still overwhelming. any suggestions? Exhaust pipe light gray powder inside not black or wet.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
No way to fix it with your exhaust I have already had that exhaust with my madstad shield it was terrible exhaust fumes. I currently running stock exhaust again trying to find one that does not infumagate me.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
The Blake Motor Sports exhaust is the only aftermarket exhaust for the Slingshot I'm aware of that offers the option of a high-flow cat. I don't know if it completely eliminates exhaust fumes, but should produce lower exhaust fumes than completely eliminating the catalyst. Welter Performance offers an exhaust that connects to the factory catalyst, but I don't know if they offer a high-flow cat version.
It might be possible to add a high-flow catalyst to some of the existing aftermarket exhaust systems, depending on where the muffler is positioned. Check with the various manufacturers or a good local exhaust shop.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No way to fix it with your exhaust I have already had that exhaust with my madstad shield it was terrible exhaust fumes. I currently running stock exhaust again trying to find one that does not infumagate me.
So did you put stock muffler on with the 1320 header or did you go back to full stock configuration (header and can )

·
15 Seconds Of Fame Anywhere You Go
583 Posts
The header is not causing your fume issue. The removal of the cat is what’s doing it. The factory system dumps the exhaust fumes in the same place as your new performance system.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The header is not causing your fume issue. The removal of the cat is what’s doing it. The factory system dumps the exhaust fumes in the same place as your new performance system.
That's what I figured. Leaving the header on and reinstalling the factory cat and muffler. Will see if that resolves the problem.. Can always change it back if it doesn't help

·
15 Seconds Of Fame Anywhere You Go
583 Posts
After you realize that the cat was the problem you can try a rear exit exhaust system . There is a guy called Jamie Roy , the company is called SS Performance you can look him up on the Forum or Facebook to hear the system and see the install. One of the nicest sounding systems that I have ever heard. Great price also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have a taller than stock windshield, then you have reduced the air flow (and pressure) that comes into the cockpit and even the stock exhaust will become a problem. Next, you remove the cat and the problem increases 10 fold because the cat was removing some of the fumes. So you add the stock or high flow cat back into the exhaust and it reduces the exhaust smell, but it's still there. Now you remove the entire exhaust and add a rear exhaust from any manufacturer with a high flow cat and low and behold, the problem is still there! (And so is the taller windshield) So where is the smell coming from? It's coming from the rear of the SS. That slanted up rear tail is bring up the exhaust and its being sucked back into the passenger compartment due to the vacuum being caused by the taller windshield. Hey, let's add the rear spoiler since that extends the body about 6" which is supposed to fix it. (Well that didn't help either, but it looks cool.) Lastly you install the rear wind deflector which blocks the back draft and now the smell is gone. BEEN THERE > DONE IT>Problem Solved !

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
even some folks with the MadStad Adjustable windshield which allows plenty of airflow have complained about exhaust fumes. If you have one of the solid F4 windshields, contact F4 about getting the modified Honda GW vent. I don't know if it's a DIY job or not, but the extra airflow should help with the exhaust fumes, although it may not completely eliminate them.
Or, do what RM did in the previous post.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My favorite windshield is my clear 13 inch madstad, I have tried all of them this is my favorite. I still run the 1320 V2 header with cat and stock muffler, I am still trying to find a new exhaust I want. I working with welter to have him make me custom exhaust that's exits out the back down low on the passenger side. I didn't like exiting out the back down low behind the driver the noise hurt my ears, but doesn't when I tried exiting out the passenger side back by the belt. Here is kind of what I was thinking I want much quieter for driver over here since I have tried it.

IMG_0721.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Installed the 1320 intake and high performance exhaust. I now have gas fumes that are so strong I cant drive my SS more than 10-20 miles without getting overwhelmed by the fumes. Can anyone tell me if Bob reprograms my ECU if this will eliminate this gas fume problem? Thanks for any and all advise.
I am running the 1230 header, Catback, and CAI with the center exit dual tip exhaust. I have not experienced any cockpit exhaust fumes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts