Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a bit put off despite a fair number of reviews and tons of other data the 0-60 is a bit illusive. Maybe some of the people on this forum who have driven one can give some first hand estimates on what they expect it to be based on gut feelings but I also did some math to try and figure out if I could come up with a fair estimate.

Their are three other reverse trikes I know to exist on the market. The can am, T rex and p6. I measured them on their pounds per hp and compared it to their 0-60 times. Between the existing three numbers the closest ratio of lb/bhp to time was roughly 1.18 lb/bhp per .5 seconds. This number allowed all of them to match up within 2 tenths of a second of their actual which is not exact but I figure its a very close considering the larger number of variables in play. When you apply that ratio to the SS it comes in around 5.34 0-60 but I would also say the SS is pushing a lot more air then anything else on the market so even with the slowing of the lb/bhp curve it looks like the SS is going to be pushing around 5.3-5.5 0-60.

If this number is accurate and judging by the videos it seems pretty close the SS isn't overly fast. What would you think if the offfical SS speeds came in around this range? I would be a bit dissapointed as I was seriously hoping this thing could tip under the 5 second barrier. Not to mention it means the guy on the can am is still a bit faster then you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
0 to 60 times will be really affected by your rear tire. A little wider and whole lot stickier rear tire will make a lot of difference. The slingshot makes a lot more torque that the other trikes. If you can hook it up, I'm thinkin it will make you smile

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry but i don't think the stock SS can go Under 5...The weight of the SS is pretty high!! For my part i think its gonna be +/- 6.0...(hope i am wrong!)

I find it curious that polaris not to say the numbers ... are they afraid of the reaction of the potential buyer? It does not look good ...

But the good thing is that a car engine is much easier to modify than a motorcycle engine !!

·
Registered
843 Posts
0 to 60 times will be really affected by your rear tire. A little wider and whole lot stickier rear tire will make a lot of difference. The slingshot makes a lot more torque that the other trikes. If you can hook it up, I'm thinkin it will make you smile
Yep! Just can help!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem if it is closer to 6 over my calculation its really now competing against a miata which can be had for the same price of an SL and has a lower roof height, similar if not better handling (apples to oranges i know but in terms of raw capability), more safety, more comfort, and you dont need to wear a helmet!

I mean maybe the fun factor will be way higher in the SS but with a 6 second 0-60 and both being light weight platforms I rather doubt it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The problem if it is closer to 6 over my calculation its really now competing against a miata which can be had for the same price of an SL and has a lower roof height, similar if not better handling (apples to oranges i know but in terms of raw capability), more safety, more comfort, and you dont need to wear a helmet!

I mean maybe the fun factor will be way higher in the SS but with a 6 second 0-60 and both being light weight platforms I rather doubt it.
Then get a Miata. it has more safety, more comfort, and you dont need to wear a helmet!

These Slingshots are not for everybody. If it did not make you grin like a "Hyena" when you first saw it, then buy something your more comfortable with. Nothing wrong with not wanting a toy that is on the edge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then get a Miata. it has more safety, more comfort, and you dont need to wear a helmet!

These Slingshots are not for everybody. If it did not make you grin like a "Hyena" when you first saw it, then buy something your more comfortable with. Nothing wrong with not wanting a toy that is on the edge.
The base, stock, Pontiac Solstice weighs about 2,900 lbs and runs just under 7. I'll side with the 5 or under guess.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The looks are amazing on it. When I first saw it I was awe struck something so awesome could be road legal.

The SS much like the Miata, is purely a toy and its a toy I am shopping for and cool looking toys are always the best but it really becomes how much am I willing to give up on a toy for looks when comparing two similarly preforming vehicles is the question. The fun factor between the two will be the deciding factor.

The other tough thing for me is I live in the north east where we are buried in snow 4-5 months out of the year so getting the most out our toys is key and sadly the slingshot doesnt have any inclimate weather protection but that certainly doesn't hold back the many bikers I know.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I dont really care, I mean, I've seen the videos and it's clearly not a dog.
I'm just looking forward to my wife and I getting out on a twisty road and having fun.

Slink
exactly like me, I had two T-Rex and I have not even made a single burn with.

If I had the choice to be a sport bike or a Goldwing, I would be the Goldwing lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
exactly like me, I had two T-Rex and I have not even made a single burn with.

If I had the choice to be a sport bike or a Goldwing, I would be the Goldwing lol
Well at 55 I fell more like a Vespa............. If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.
Slink

·
Registered
620 Posts
Talked with a guy that drove one and has a SS Camaro 2012 same year as mine with a manual in it . He said he did not think it would beat his off the launch 0-60 , but it going to give my auto trans Camaro a run for my money . My guess would be mid to upper 5's .

1 - 20 of 153 Posts