With promotions between base and SL $1580 differences

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Purchasing' started by Brownd86, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Brownd86

Brownd86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am wanting to buy a sling so bad. Wanting to trade in my bike. Without trade and the promotion they are offering right now. There is only like $1500 between the two. I really hate the stereo its crapy will upgraded later. I heard insurance is cheaper on SL witch I really like that idea. My insurance quote she said was $1800 threw progressive. That was the high end model she told me. I guess my ? is. I would rather buy base model If it was regular price. But only $1500 I can live with radio for a couple years. Do you think I am making the correct choice by buying SL. This is 16 model. This is the price difference with out talking them down. What have you got them to throw in on the deal? Cheaper price or accessories? I will try to talk them down or do what ever they can. They are 16 they are wanting to move them in would think.

2. mmahoney79

mmahoney79 Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't buy SL. Buy base and customize to your liking. You'll hate the stereo. Also, shop around on insurance. 1800 seems high. Go to foremost and see what the quote you.

3. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:

First ..you need a new insurance person ....... Progressive is without a doubt one of the highest for SLingshot insurance regardless of the "partnership" with Polaris ....

Make your first stop Allstate ....... ;)

As far as which one ..... which would YOU rather see in your garage and how committed are you to spending the time, effort, and money to upgrade parts that are different between the models ............ Even with all the upgrades we made ALL of the SL specific parts are still on our Slingshot and we like them all ..even the stereo ...

Remember that while many on this particular site pray to the "go base and upgrade" mantra .. many others quietly, absolutely, love their SL's, SE's, and SLR's ......... If you are a performance oriented person that stereo money could be better spent on shocks which are IMO the absolute first and best investment anyone can make for their SLingshot.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mmahoney79

mmahoney79 Member

Thanks Received:
    So specefic parts = radio, windshield, wheels and different color plastics. If you are willing, upgrade, otherwise you can get all those much cheaper than 1500 (unless there is a specefic color you like).

Like Orangeman said, ultimately up to you but seems like price is a consideration.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  5. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget about wheels. If you're going custom, base makes more sense. If they stay stock you get the larger wheels with the SL.

Does color make a difference? My guess is that color has made more buying decisions than the crappy radio.

This is a great time to negotiate because of the extended winter weather. The only rig I ever bought from a dealer was a Polaris Sportsman on January 7th. They were so happy to send it out the door at a significant discount.

Both will make you grin like a little schoolgirl so pick your poison!

6. Brownd86

Brownd86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to rap it in a couple years down the road! Color doesn't bother me at all. I figured. I could sell factory rims later down the road to upgrade later. I would think I would get more $ from SL rims then base model. What are they selling SL used 4?

7. grumlenz

grumlenz Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely shop around for your insurance. I had a similar quote from Progressive and ended up settling on State Farm at $336/year. The quotes I received ranged from $336 up to about $1900 per year for the same coverages, I checked with 5 or 6 different companies.

As far as base vs. SL, like the others are saying, that'll depend on what mods, if any, you'll plan to do. My personal preference is to build up the base model, but I also like the titanium gray color the most and wanted a better stereo system than the OEM one. Ultimately you'll just have to decide what's best for you and your future plans with the Sling. No matter what, you'll have a blast every time you drive it! Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    The main thing people have to remember when discussing insurance on the forums is that each state will be vastly different. When I moved from Wisconsin to Michigan my insurance went up 30%. Some states are just really expensive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mniron

Mniron Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Insurance rates and rates between companies differ from location even within states much less than across state lines. Where I live Progressive is the best rate with a higher coverage than all others in my age group. After my accident last June my renewal rate is the same but I lost my accumulated reduced deductible(reduces $100/year without a claim) which went back to where I had started. Progressive was great to work with and got my SlingShot fixed as fast as we could get parts from Polaris, Polaris was the pain not Progressive.

My rate is lower with Progressive than what anyone has posted here.

Shop around and compare apples to apples.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed but someone in Wisconsin same age and record will always pay less than if they lived in Michigan. No fault states suck!

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I would love to chat with you about where you live in CO, what coverage's you went with, etc...

I got stuck with Progressive because my current (soon to be ex) insurance provider for my house and vehicles (Travelers) doesn't insure the SS.

I am moving to State Farm on everything but with a very clean driving/claim record the SS is still $900 a year (much better than Progressive's $1400 a year).

I'm beginning to think I need a jar of Vaseline when it comes to insuring this thing.

12. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    When we talk insurance....SHOP.... Feb 2015 Progressive was $1500.00, AmFam, $950.00, went with Allstate at $425.00 just changed to NationWide and saved 38% from the new Allstate
    rate. Just a little over $300.00 yr. OK record, and 73 yo.

• Agree Agree x 1