Why is everything for as so expensive?

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Discussions' started by daverr900, May 13, 2017.

1. daverr900

daverr900 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I am not starting a rant ( kinda) but it seems like everything for this machine starts at $300 and goes up. I understand it is a specialized machine but this is ridiculous. I own a corvette and the same crap happens with that. Just cause it says corvette it is twice as expensive. I don't understand how some of these parts cost so much for a slingshot but for other cars is a fraction if the price..... seems people figure if you got money to buy one why not waste another 10k customizing it... kinda ridiculous! People say it isn't price gouging, but that is exactly in my opinion what it is(Rant over)!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Because the SS is a very limited production vehicle. Approx. 20K units produced to date.

Where an aftermarket specialty manufacturer may have 10k buyers to recoup the R&D for a part on say a Camaro or Mustang, they may have 20 or 30 for a similar part for the SS.

It's all supply and demand. R&D costs and production tooling have to be paid for. Less product sold = higher costs per unit in order to recoup the investment in bringing it to market.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ulflyer

Ulflyer Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised so few SS have been made/sold! Lets hope Polaris doesn't decide to drop the SS like they did the Victory. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JerriEric

JerriEric Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind. I don't customize!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaun Gardener

Jaun Gardener Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that they passed the 20,000 mark over a year and a half ago. Might have been back when they did the headlight wiring recall. I am sure they have at least doubled that by now. At least it's not as much of a price gouge as HD parts. You would think they were made of Unobtainium... LOL

6. Blitzkrieg

Thanks Received:
    Could be Juan. The last dependable number I have was Polaris' number from the swingarm recall and that was all Slingshots produced.

Pn 11/2016 that number was:

Makes/Models/Model Years:
    POLARIS/SLINGSHOT/2015-2017
    Mfr's Report Date: October 17, 2016
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V-755
    Components:
    POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 17,572

I am certain that they have not produced twice that # as of today. If I had to take a shot in the dark I would say a total of about 26K to date, but that's a ballpark best guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm with ya. I just got a top for it over Christmas. For the price, I would think it would have had better finishing touches, or at least a hand job thrown in.

When I was younger, working at an auto parts store, a guy needed a master cylinder for an old Cadillac. A rebuilt one was easily double than the GM counterparts. It was, however, a different part number than any of the other GM counterparts. Probably a bigger bore or something that wouldn't have made much difference in performance. Looked pretty much like any other master cylinder of the era, but because it had the "Cadillac" logo associated to it, it cost a Mint!!

I'm sure some parts are going to interchange with the auto manufacturers. We'll find out more as the years go by ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MRD

MRD Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Not unusal, Can Am is the same way. Even the aftermarket parts are expensive, they just don't sell enough to cover the cost of R&D and manufacturing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:

Let's hear from some recent purchasers of the 2017. What is your serial number (last 5 numbers of VIN)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel ya MRD, however, for the price that some of the things go for, some of it is pretty cheezball in quality and finishing touches. I've been disappointed with what I've seen. TBH, I'm actually a bit disappointed in some of the quality and cheezball stuff on the Slingshot altogether. For the price, I think it should be a bit more refined. It is what it is.

11. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    I used to really be upset about the high cost of goodies for the slingshot. Then I found the for sale section on here as well as other forums. Seeing as a lot of people don't hold on to their slingshots, they part them out to recoup costs and I have been able to get some great deals. Ultimately...prices slide on items no one buys. People might have a price point for goodies, but the joy of capitalism...it's only worth what people will pay.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blitzkrieg

Thanks Received:
    Are you talking about dress up items mainly?

I've got parts on my Sling from (in order of $$$$ spent) Alpha, Roaring Toyz, JRI, DDMWorks, Bullet Speed, Momo and Sparco and I've been super impressed with the quality.

These are not dress up or accessory items like bags, roofs, etc... but go faster/handle better items.

I've heard some complaints of the quality of things like aftermarket body panels, hard bags and such but the performance items from what I have experienced are spot on. And I don't impress easily.