What state can't you drive a sling in?

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Discussions' started by Brownd86, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Brownd86

Brownd86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have looked and gave up so decided to just post a new thread. So what state CAN'T you drive a sling in?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    There were some states that Polaris had trouble getting Slingshots accepted for sale in. As far as I'm aware, there are no states where it is illegal to operate/drive a Slingshot. The reciprocity doctrine where other states recognize each other's driver's licenses should take care of that. Technically, a state might quibble over a technicality such as whether or not a motorcycle endorsement is required, but generally, if a state such as Texas says you can operate a Slingshot using your regular DL, then other states should accept your Texas DL even if they require their residents to have a motorcycle endorsement to operate a Slingshot. Of course, all this really means is nobody's been a guinea-pig test case, yet.
    Polaris now has a License Requirements page - License Requirements by State | Polaris Slingshot
    It lists Hawaii as still being a problem.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That is what I expected but I am a Washington licensed driver with no motorcycle endorsement required. Oregon, which is right across the river, requires a motorcycle endorsement for the Slingshot. I called the Oregon State Patrol to ask if they would ticket me for no endorsement on a Washington license and they said technically yes, subject to the officers' discretion. To complicate the issue, Washington has a 3-wheel endorsement but will not issue it to Slingshot owners. I contacted the local testing facility and was told that their course is not usable for the Slingshot. So if I want a 3-wheel endorsement on my WA license I have to borrow a trike or Spyder (can't rent - don't have an endorsement), or use a motorcycle and get a 2-wheel endorsement (I never got mine from 1986-2007 - not enough time!).

I plan to call the WA DOL to see if they will waive the driving test and issue me a 3-wheel endorsement with the written test only. I give that low odds. I doubt that an Oregon officer would ticket me if I explain that I can't get an endorsement from my home state for the vehicle I own, but if I am wrong my Sling could be impounded. I don't like the uncertainty of the outcome if stopped and would like to cover my bases, especially regarding impound. Of course the particular transgression will impact the officer's decision so no brodies, burnouts or double-double nickel in Oregon, but you never know when a LEO will take an instant dislike to you (it's happened) and I fail at the double-breasted and cute-smile defenses!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yochemate

Yochemate Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    License Requirements by State | Polaris Slingshot

5. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    What state can't you drive a sling in?
    • As state of confusion would be bad.
    • It is possible to drive one in a state of drunkenness, not well mind you. I would not suggest it either.
    • Definitely not a state of unconsciousness.
    • From what I have read from new owners, a state of euphoria seems to be the most common state to drive in.
    It's all a matter of personal skill and tolerance I think.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. Sling ding-a-ling

Thanks Received:
    Funny, this is what my Washington state Polaris dealer told me. Maybe they are just trying to make a sale?

As far as endorsement goes for the Slingshot. You are only required to have a valid Driver License to own and operate a Slingshot. There is no helmet required in Washington State. All though, other states do require a helmet. The reason behind these rules is the following:

*You sit in the machine with a steering wheel and seat belt
    *To operate the machine is no different than a car
    *Helmet is not required when you have roll-over protection

Even though the machine is still classified as a motorcycle. There is No Helmet or Special Endorsement Required.

And this is what that link from Polaris says.

The Slingshot is classified as a motorcycle in your state. The operator of a Slingshot is required to have a drivers license and have a motorcycle endorsement or just a motorcycle license.

Conflicting information, no?

7. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Polaris is wrong. That's why they put this right below that:

This information is being provided only as a general reference. It is not and should not be considered legal advice. Laws and regulations are subject to change. Always consult local authorities to determine state law vehicle classification and licensing requirements.

**Polaris recommends always wearing a DOT approved full face helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sling ding-a-ling

Thanks Received:
    My point exactly. Every time this subject comes up, people get referred to that link on the Polaris site (no offense @Yochemate and @BKL ). I would not put much stock in it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JerriEric

JerriEric Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Dumb post!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sling ding-a-ling

Thanks Received:
    wow

• Like Like x 1
  11. BKL

Thanks Received:
    The chances of running into a problem with a LEO's interpretation of motorcycle endorsement being legally required or not are pretty slim, but I have to admit that I would be extremely pissed if I got forced into being the test case!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. BKL

Thanks Received:
    Since your vehicle is licensed and registered in Washington, I really wouldn't worry about it as you have satisfied your state's registration and operating requirements. Does Washington issue a motorcycle or regular car license plate? Again, I feel the principle of reciprocity should protect you. Obviously, if you should get pulled over, don't react in any manner that might provoke the LEO!:rolleyes: You might want to carry a copy of your state's regulations, if you're paranoid about getting pulled over. Because of the way Texas finally legalized the Slingshot, we potentially face the same problems.