What do you think is best solution big windshield and upgraded radio or nice helmet with sena 20s?

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Discussions' started by Atlas, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Atlas

Atlas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been debating what to do with my current problem. I have a slingshot with factory windshield i drive it 100 miles a day. I want to be able to hear my music on the freeway as well as hear the person I'm with while I'm driving. Do i get a larger windshield and better sound system and wear half helmets? Or do i get a super nice pair of full helmets with sena 20s?

2. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    The research I've done shows that people who get the sena's for intercom are mostly happy and those that get them for music are sometimes disappointed with the tinny sound and lack of low end performance. I currently have upgraded speakers in the stock pods with the stock system and can crank it up enough to hear on the freeway, but not at high quality. I'm experimenting with the Bell Pit Boss helmet with the ear pads in and think I'll get a noticeable improvement in the stereo with them out (in warmer weather). For the record, my wife and I converse comfortably up to about 45-50mph with the Alpha side-exhaust. I think the best bang for the buck for better sound might be the rear hoop pods with quality speakers and an amp to drive them, with or without a subwoofer.

I'm jealous of the 100 miles per day. That's worth an investment.

And so it started...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Purplezebra

Purplezebra Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I did three things that really helped me be able to hear my music better. I quietened the angle drive down, installed new speakers and the behind the head pods with an amp to drive them, and installed a windrestrictor. The windrestrictor really does decrease air turbulence and make the cabin a much quieter place, and it's pretty cool looking as well. The one drawback is it a bitch to clean. With that said at speeds above 60 mph you are still gonna have a hard time hearing most music clearly. I have not tried any of the sena helmets, but have taken my wireless headphones and paired them to the SS head unit. They sound pretty good so I would imagine the sena's would be comparable. One thing to keep in mind is that the SS head unit will not pair to two helmets at one time for music playing. The only way around that to my knowledge is share me type headphones. I am not sure if any helmets have that technology.

4. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the sena10 installed in a Bell Mag9 helmet with the purchase of my Sling. I haven't paired it with the stereo because it's an XL and my head most definitely is not. The manual does say that it will pair Bluetooth with another device so my understanding is that you pair helmet1 with the stereo and helmet2 with helmet1 for phone and music Untested by me - I could be wrong.

5. Purplezebra

Purplezebra Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That is how the share me headphones work. One pairs with the Bluetooth device and the other pairs with the first headphone unit, so if you are correct that sounds like your helmet has the same technology.

6. slolane

slolane Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Nolan 3/4 helmet with the Sena 10r that I pair with my phone for music and phone functions. This system works great for me because the wife rides her own bike and we use this for bike to bike also. I am not fussy about how the music sounds as long as I can hear it. Now as far as that goes I can hear it fine at all speeds on the hi-way. I have a Mustad 7in windshield and have no wind noise and very little road noise for the music to compete with. I feel with the speakers right on the ears helps hear the music even with the face shield up. This system works great for us but it may not be for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    We like our helmets with the Sena system......

Bill and Justina

8. West Bay G-Man

West Bay G-Man Member

Thanks Received:
    I have worn half helmets for decades on my Harleys. They work quite well on the bike, but not the Slingshot. I'm 6'2" and the SS with the stock windshield blasts me from about the center of my nose upward and from about my nose to the left. It's really uncomfortable. I was an early adopter and received my Slingshot in December 2014. At that time there were no aftermarket windshields, or much of anything else. The only option I had was a full face helmet. When I bought it I also bought a Sena 10S. All of this was a new experience for me and I really liked it. Yes, the small speakers have no low frequency delivery, but I can hear what they do deliver extremely well. On long trips I can even listen to audio books. That would never be possible with the SS speakers at any driving speed. I also appreciated how warm the full coverage helmet was in the winter. Therefore, I have to recommend the full coverage helmet with the Sena over a taller windshield. It gets warm in the summer though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Full helmets and Sena 20s. We can pair to our phones so she can listen to her music, I can listen to mine, and we each get our own phone calls. We converse at any time it automacitly mutes the music and then turns it back on when done talking. Only knock I would have is that when DW is on the phone I cannot talk to her. And you can dial up your local radio stations with the Sena, although I only did that to test it

LC

10. 2W2X1

2W2X1 Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Music over the SENA was garbage. I tried to like it. SENA is good for intercom with passenger.

I vote large windshield and stereo updates if you love to listen to music.

To make it easier to talk with my passenger, I added rear windscreen and top. Not a cheap option, but I like the flexibility it adds. I can go helmet-less with just a ball cap on and it doesn't flutter. Conversations are easy and music stays in the cabin and sounds great.

• Like Like x 2
  11. f4 customs

f4 customs Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    The Plus 5 that we sell at F4 Customs will allow you to hear the stereo and also allow you to talk to your co-rider. The F4 shield is made from high optics polycarbonate and has our scratch resistant/rain shedding coating built right in. Give us a call if we can help.
    Don
    330-968-4644
    F4 Customs

12. Atlas

Atlas New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMG_6737.JPG Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback. Currently I have this windsheild it was on the sling when I bought it. Any ideas which one it is