Wearing a Helmet in California, here what 2 officers and DMV says

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Discussions' started by Aka OB, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Aka OB

Aka OB New Member

Thanks Received:
    So ..
    Officer(1)
    I was in the parking lot waiting for my friend, and a police car parked net to me and he started to ask questions about the SS
    I asked him about the Helmet, using the Express lanes and using the carpool lanes as a single rider he said he doesn't know and he would not do anything if he saw me driving without a helmet or in the carpool lanes or on the express lanes without the transponder

Officer (2)
    on another day, I was at the parking lot at my college
    a police motorcycle came to me and started to ask question too, and after that he said " I know that you don't need a motorcycle endorsement for that, but u still have to have a helmet"
    I said yeah I have a helmet and I usually wear it when it is cold or I'm on the freeway, he said no you have to have it all time. I told him it has a seat belt and roller cage and he said I still need that helmet
    he said it is ok to go as a single rider on the carpool lanes and I can't use the express lanes on the 110 freeway in LA without the transponder, but I can on the 10 freeway .

but anyway,
    I took his advice and drove on the express lanes on the 10 freeway, police cars and highway patrol cars passes me by, no one did anything, except the last one (officer 3), came next to me and then pulled me over,
    he said he pulled me because I didn't have the transponder, luckily I had the transponder inside the glove compartment. I showed it to him and I told him what the the officer the other day said, but he insist and said no u have to have the transponder under the windshield , he said he is gonna let me go away with it this time, he didn't make any comment on the helmet, I was not wearing one!

the day after, I went to college without a helmet, officer (2) pulled me over and said he warned me the first time and he is about to give me a ticket
    I showed him the code that we have here in the forum. he said well that just prove my point!
    I told him what is your resource for that information that I have to have a helmet
    he said, he pulled another guy with a SS and he called their dealer ( BERTS MEGA MALL !!!! )
    and they told the officer that we have to wear a helmet!!
    I told him that is not a reliable source!, and told him if you called my dealer, he would told you the opposite!
    he said that is fine and I can Give u a ticket and we can discuss that in the court
    I told him there is no need for that, he ended up giving me an actual warning

I went to a highway patrol office afterwords, they said they have no idea
    I went to a DMV office and I asked them and the manager himself came to me and said, I can't tell you anything for sure, he said since it is classified as a motorcycle, u gonna need a helmet, but I'm not saying that the law is applying that to the SS or not
    they advised me to contact Polaris and figure out

and now I drive everyday I passes by million police cars, no one stopped me even though I'm not wearing a helmet, I only wear it when i go to college
    I don't know how I can persuade that officer!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    "I went to a DMV office and I asked them and the manager himself came to me and said, I can't tell you anything for sure, he said since it is classified as a motorcycle, u gonna need a helmet, but I'm not saying that the law is applying that to the SS or not
    they advised me to contact Polaris and figure out..........."

What part of this placard do you guys not understand??

P1110969.JPG

Bill

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:
    .....:(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. Bill Martin

Bill Martin I may not be right but I can sound like it

Thanks Received:
    First rule of law
    image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MISTERZ06

MISTERZ06 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    COL-LAGE
    noun

a piece of art made by sticking various different materials
    such as photos and pieces of fabric or paper onto a backing

...................................................... tom n carol
    Grin-cat-dog.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That sticker "fell off" mine but I'm in a state that requires a lid so I wear one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bill Martin

Thanks Received:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jorgebri60

Jorgebri60 Movin on!

Thanks Received:
    You know what!!! It's a efn motorcycle! Period. Leave well enough alone and if your state requires a helmet for motorcycles, wear a efn helmet. This attempt at confusing the issue and/or trying to convince an officer that it's a car is only going to lead to other issues such as emissions, safety equipment, etc etc. some of us had to wait over a year to be able to buy and/or drive one because of this motorcycle/not motorcycle debate. The manufacturer tells you "it's a motorcycle". We all bought it knowing it was such. Why do we continue trying to confuse the issue. If you didn't want to wear a helmet and your state requires one, then buy a convertible.

Whew. My rant!!!!
    :shifty:

Let the bashing begin :wtf:

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    The problem isn't the vehicle or the OP.

The problem and frustration is with the lack of definition and the lack of understanding this vehicle by most officers. There are many laws like this...

I don't think anyone wants it to be treated as a car and you sure the heck can't treat the SS as a motorcycle. If so, all you CA people should start splitting lanes.

I'm in AZ and we have no helmet laws. I recently went to visit mefiburn Bob and totally forgot a helmet. So, because I choose not to deal with the confusing hassle of nobody knowing how to define the law, I just bought a $30 dot one at Wal-Mart.

Its annoying, stupid, and there is no consistency right now. If you want to fight it, expect to be in court one day. If you never want to be bothered, wear a lid.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. moto111

moto111 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    My head hurts reading this. Did you proof read it? Anyways its a motorcycle there go as a police officer if the law says in this state while operating a motorcycle , you will wear a helmet. And it sounds like you have been given one to many free passes so to speak if I were that officer I would have wrote you the citation and said see you in court.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bill Martin

Thanks Received:
    In several states the GOVERNMENT has created the confusion. As @wjfyfe points out it is a motorcycle and prevailing laws should pose no question to its execution. Unfortunately, in comes the government with an autocycle classification that is about as clear as muddy water. Either the autocycle definition needs to be clarified or case law decided by a judge - to remove any opposing interpretations of the law.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Some confusion is created with the different autocycle designations, the definitions vary state to state.
    Missouri is easy as it is licensed as a motorcycle and does not conform to the autocycle definition. Motorcycles are exempt from this seatbelt law but a lid is required, I wear both.

• Informative Informative x 1