UK_Paul's - Slingshot Build -

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Builds' started by UK_Paul, Dec 2, 2016.

1. philip_mustang

philip_mustang Member

Thanks Received:
    And is your dealer going to take care of those recalls Paul? Free of charge?

2. UK_Paul

UK_Paul Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That's "the rules" Philip.

I belive that this is the way it woks:
    Polaris will first invoice the dealer for the parts, then the dealer has to fit them. Then some time later than may pay him back for the parts & work that he's done for them.
    I'm reasonably sure that's how it goes in the UK and the rest of Europe. But it may not work that way in North America.
    This may be why dealers are reluctant to cary out warranty/recall work.

Do you have problems in Belgium?
    Fortunately for you, Belgium is the main EU storage location for things like this (and the major recalls - directly back to Polaris - like the bad one, with the motorcycles,) take place in your home country, so you should be OK.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally in the US The dealers are paid less for warrantee than what they would bill a customer for the same job... But that is true is most warrantee work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. UK_Paul

Thanks Received:
    Happy New Year, To you all in Slingshot land!

Have a fun, great & successful New Year everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. UK_Paul

Thanks Received:
    Back with the SS doing a little work today but it was less than -4'C (25'F) and a little too cold to do much.
    I did a little work changing the gear shift and adding a new one, along with a new gator.
    After that I started to think about how I'd add a hook-up for a battery tender, to look after the battery this winter. (Think I've worked out what I'll do). If anyone has thoughts on either hooking up to a car battery tender, or a motorcycle one, please give me a shout and let me know.

Meanwhile I thought that you may like a picture of it, in its winter home along with one of its stable mates, trying to keep warm, behind it.

20170105_235854.jpg

Not the same one but.......
    It's a classic late 1940's Citroën HY Van.

Citroen%20H%20Van%20Cream%20and%20Burgundy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never used a battery tender. I'm in Northern Indiana 10 degrees F this evening....probably wont be out for the next couple of days, but road New Years Eve and Day over hour each day. I willo probably go to Florida for 2 weeks end of Jan so the Slingshot never sets very long without a good ride. I ride 25 - 30 F when theres no snow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a BT Jr through the fag lighter.

For non UK a fag is a cigarette.

LC

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Which is why a fag is also referred to as a pole smoker...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Thought that was a Peter puffer.........

LC

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Rump ranger...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. UK_Paul

Thanks Received:
    My wife often works in Tampa, Florida.
    She's Australian and uses a very similar vocabulary to us Brits.
    Needless to say; she smokes and always makes sure that she let's the people that she's working with, "she's off out for a fag."
    She also takes great pleasure in explaining to people that "b@!!@cks" means "bad" and "the dog's b@!!@cks" means "absolutely brilliant!"
    We have so many things in common but the language isn't always one of them.
    :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    BatteryMINDer 128CEC1 Battery Charger 'll do you way better mate.

In -7°F (-22°C) temps the Slingshot's security system drained the battery before I could get to it, and badly. Tried to recover the sulfated battery with a Battery Tender for two weeks, no go--brought it up to voltage but there wasn't any current capacity, so turning on the lights would drain the battery in seconds, trying to start the engine wouldn't get a crank out of it. I monitored the charging along the way, and also tried a 2A Schumann trickle charger for a week, there was no improvement, the battery plates were sulfated (meaning they'd hold voltage, but there wasn't enough clean surface area to provide the needed current to power the Slingshot).

I bought a NOCO Genius 15000, but this unit is 15A and unlike their other units has no 2A setting for small batteries, and won't work with other NOCO items because NOCO uses a high-power connector, meaning NOCO was a no-go. Note NOCO units used to have a temperature sensor inside the unit (which is a bad place because the heat the device generates affects the temperature sensor), but the new design does not, and the company stated by phone they have not updated their product materials to reflect the change.

The BatteryMINDer 128CEC1 has an external temperature sensor and compensates for both low and high temperatures. Upon initial connection to the Slingshot it showed that given the cold temperature the battery voltage was low, so the BatteryTender and Schumann units if used on a new battery would allow the battery to be under-charged and sulfur deposits to form, allowing a brand-new battery to age prematurely. Since the BatteryMINDer is temperature compensated, that doesn't happen.

Some BatteryMINDer units are made for aviation batteries, this one is not, but is the proper unit for one or more Slingshots and larger vehicles (it is settable for maximum current of 2, 4, and 8A and will maintain up to six batteries at once). At the "2A max" setting it recovered the Slingshot battery to what looked like full charge in two days--I couldn't believe it--maybe it did it sooner, I didn't check because I figured it would take at least a week to see any progress. Unlike the NOCO which uses proprietary plugs, this uses SAE plugs, so making custom cables is much easier.

BMinder.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1