Time to beat the U-joint discussion further in the ground

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Maintenance' started by dmoxley49, May 18, 2017.

1. dmoxley49

dmoxley49 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have read all the discussions I can find, plus watched the video on how to grease the U-Joint on the Slingshot . . . yep, I am one of the lucky owners who has a Slingshot with the unsealed version of the U-Joint installed . . . and have had little success in getting grease into the joint. I did, however, manage to grease the area around the U-Joint . . . does that count? I tried grinding down the coupler, using a needle adapter, looking for a replacement sealed U-Joint, and finally asked the dealer to grease the joint during the last service. The dealer told me that the grease gun coupler does not fit into the space where the zerk fitting is . . . nice folks, but a little behind on U-Joint news. All of this produced very little success, at least the type that indicates that the grease made it to the extremes of the U-Joint.

I am one of those people that believes that a grease fitting deserves to have grease forced through it if for nothing else, to justify some designers idea that a challenge is the inherent right of all Slingshot owners. Plus in the long run, some grease may help prevent the U-Joint from grinding itself to pieces at some point down the road. I will not be signing up to count the miles until the drive shaft starts knocking on the underside of the console after the U-Joint expires . . . so I apologize for that in advance.

So what to do now? I am going to try a different adapter, although perhaps this has been tried before and I missed the post. This time I am trying out the push type adapter. Being advertised as a solution to getting grease into hard to reach U-Joint fittings, perhaps this will actually do the job.

I am still interested in replacing the U-Joint with a sealed type, but that is another project, on another day and from the initial search I have done, may be difficult given the lack of U-Joint info in the parts diagrams.

If this latest attempt works, I'll pass on the details of the adapter in another post. Given all the posts on this subject, I may risk repeating something that is already been tried and reported on.

So for now, I hear a grease fitting calling my name.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Try adding some heat. I wouldn't use a torch, but some people do. A good heat gun or a hair dryer in pinch will work. Takes like 5-10 minutes to get the heat all the way through. It depends on how hard and crusty the grease has gotten in the joint. Sometimes you'll even see the grease start coming out of the zerk. You know you got it then.

3. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Can't be done. My mechanic has to unscrew the zerk fitting and put grease in. Tried the needle nose fitting, don't work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. dmoxley49

dmoxley49 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good idea . . . I'll try it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    FWIW, I had to try several different needle adapters before I found one that would work...............

Bill

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmoxley49

dmoxley49 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear you . . . I'll try the heat and the different adapter then get back to all with the results. If it comes down to taking out the zerk every time to grease, then I will put more effort into a sealed U-Joint replacement. The service guy at the dealership is all over that solution. The Sling has only 2600 miles on it, but I elected to get the 5000 mile service done sooner due to an upcoming trip that will rack up mileage. The miles on the joint are still low enough to get a solution in place before things get out of hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:
    Many of us have no problem ..... a grease needle is tricky to use and takes some patience to get it positioned right so it depresses the ball in the Zerk fitting and injects the grease. Been using them on heavy equipment for years. If the Zerk will not take grease then replace it but "can't be done" is far from a true statement ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone using a Lincoln power grease gun on this? I have been able to force grease into otherwise inaccessible zerks with mine. Haven't tried it on the driveline though. Hope it works but will be watching here for adapter info. Thanks @dmoxley49.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    • Funny Funny x 5
  11. 1poser

1poser Well-Known Member