Three's da Life SiRT Slingshot Honda Build started the 19th!

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Builds' started by Stickerdick, Nov 21, 2016.

1. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think that this setup will eliminate the need for baffles and are you still considering an increase in fuel capacity?

2. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I would guess baffles aren't needed if you changed the fuel feed location. It appears that is what he did. Lowest point where fuel really can't slosh that much.

If he received the stock tank back, that throws out getting extra capacity. It will hold the same amount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I guessed that too but am not sure what happens when fuel gets low, hence my inquiry about capacity. With his level of customization I was wondering if a secondary tank could/would be added. More is better!

4. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I carry microfiber cloths in the glove box to surround the fuel filler area, and they then catch the splash-back. I did not remove the filler tube because it (in theory) keeps fuel from sloshing out when driving, and at petroleum distillate distribution centers the talk between patrons and myself usually is much more lengthy than the fueling process (even with the rather odd 2014).

5. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Sloshing or poor fuel feed location is the biggest enemy. Capacity is not. Unless you drive only your SS a track that doesn't have a gas station with 10 miles. That could be annoying....

With the above issue fixed, I'm sure you could run your SS hard down to 2-1 bars of fuel without worrying.

Most everyone will not have to worry about the tank. This is something you may need to worry about if you are at the track or drive SUPER hard with boost around corner that has a bunch of pitch to it. Basically, don't run a NASCAR left corner on hard boost on a stock tank under 3-4 bars. The same track, where most SS owners have discovered this issue, is known in the car/track community to cause this issue in many different vehicle platforms. So it's not just a SS thing...

I've ran my SS at over 10psi several times at my track events. I always start my cool down lap when I get 1 bar displayed to go fuel back up. Why don't I have issues? Luck maybe, but most likely because the tracks I run have flat corners.

@Stickerdick is doing the right thing with his history and goal, but most won't need to go this far in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stickerdick

Stickerdick Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    I think since I'm still trying to prove that we can do this build on a budget, I will forego building a new larger capacity tank, but yes, one can be built. And the baffles are no longer needed in theory since I'm now picking up fuel at the lowest point in the tank. As far as kick back when filling up the tank, I'm not quite so concerned with that since I am more interested in quick fills and get going and I'm going away from the screw on cap to a flip top cap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nemesis1701

nemesis1701 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Quick fill....hmmmmmm someone has some lap intentions

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    Got the exhaust all done for mounting. And it works great. @pascal came over and measured for my fuel lines and the new tank setup fits perfectly. New driveshaft parts are coming and we trial fitted the hood..... It clears the engine, but not the velocity stacks and fuel rail...... So guess I'm glad my dealership gave me my old hood. Gonna need it to make my new hood with a big hole cut into it! Pics coming soon. 20170104_150158.jpg 20170104_150030.jpg 20170104_150207.jpg 20170104_151548.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    Ended up that we will have to cut the hood to clear the velocity stacks and the fuel rail but we only had to trim the hood sub-structure on the passenger side to clear the valve cover. I'll cut the hood Friday morning. IMG_3345.jpg IMG_3347.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    May have to put a shaker hood on that one! lol :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    I think we are going to do a clear bubble with leds lighting the inside

• Like Like x 3