Three's da Life SiRT Slingshot Honda Build started the 19th!

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Builds' started by Stickerdick, Nov 21, 2016.

1. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Your need to make your measurements at both pressure and flow. The stocker might have good pressure at low flow and low pressure at a higher flow rate. Don't forget some of the fuel is going to be returned to the tank as well.

LC

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. LUGNUT

LUGNUT New Member

Thanks Received:
    How much extra weight will the metal tank add? Is it possible to add two plastic stock ones?

3. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Someone has not been paying attention.

Sleep[1].jpg

4. LUGNUT

LUGNUT New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's why my name is Lugnut!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Stickerdick

Stickerdick Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    The stainless tank will weigh less than the plastic tank. The pump does not have the ability to flow at high enough pressure for the jenvey FI and to handles the return fuel line. Plus we will get rid Of the restrictive filler neck cap and be able to make Sam Owens so Happy he might have to do a video on how not to fill your tank!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    I'm running four 90mm throttle bodies and 4 injectors 3x as large as stock plus a return line. The stock pump just won't have a chance to keep up at wide open throttle

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to see if I can find a in tank pump upgrade and add a return line to the stock tank just to cover myself with the budget in mind. But from these pics you might be able to see how much wasted space there is in this tank design with the large hump up top for the vent / overflow line and if we do build the new tank and we can redesign the filler neck I think that is where we can gain more fuel capacity. While I have the back half blown apart in going to get the roll bars re-powder coated in a new color to go with the retro 70's F1 Honda racer look we are designing. Hopefully it will all come together 20161228_081214.jpg 20161228_080818.jpg 20161228_080848.jpg 20161228_081029.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    20161228_200906.jpg just in case anybody is curious about what the fuel pump and sending unit look like..... Here you go. Straight from China. American made my behind! Plus there is most likely a fuel regulator built into the pump by Polaris, so just because it is rated for 50 + PSI, that does not mean it is putting out that much, from what research I've done, the stock Throttle body only needs 39psi, way too low for what my new motor will need.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  9. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    I got the tank dropped off to my Gas tank maker, he is building a cardboard one first to make sure everything will fit, then on to aluminum, Stainless steel is too cost prohibative, ($400.00) per sheet! Also got the drive shaft issue figured out, there is a adaptor flange you buy, then you can run a convential ujoint drive shaft, finally glad that hunt is over. My jenvey stuff is shipping on Friday, one last set of mockups and then its disassemble and ship it to Jamie Roy for run tests! driveshaft flange.jpg drive shaft adaptor.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Stickerdick

Thanks Received:
    I'm having fun with it, just picked up the gas tank. I was going to have a stainless tank built for about $500.00 at my local Hotrod fab shop, but once I brought them the stock tank, they called me yesterday and said they had finished and come pick it up? I'm like what????? After thinking it over, they knew I wanted several new benefits from my "new" tank, I had fuel starvation problems in high speed turns with the turbo motor, I did not want to use the stock in tank fuel pump any longer because I was trying to get more consistent pressure to my Jenvey ITB's and I also needed a fuel return line since I am running larger throttle bodies and fuel injectors. They were able to do all of that with the stock tank, for around $100.00 instead of the $500.00 I was prepared to spend.

First, they took out the in-tank fuel pump and made that nipple on top of the tank the new return fuel line inlet, they just ran an new hose down to the bottom of the tank to make that work, marked my wires for me so I can wire my new in-line HO fuel pump into that same power source, then they were able to keep the stock fuel sending unit, so nothing to change there.

To take care of my fuel starvation issues, after looking at the stock tank, there is a small sump area built into the tank at the very bottom near the back of the tank, so they just drilled a hole into that, epoxied a new threaded bung, and "wala", I now have a fuel supply coming from the sump area. Yes, I'll need to run a serviceable inline fuel filter before the fuel source goes to the fuel pump, but that was going to happen anyway, but now I can get ALL of the fuel pressure I need to my Jenveys, I'm going to "FIX" the filler neck issue that Sam Owens has video the crap out of by removing that damn fuel nozzel limiter and I'll have a proper , race ready filler neck. Overall, a great way to start off the New Year.

@Pascal aka Greg M. will be coming over this week with the clutch slave cylinder adapter hose for my 6 speed and will help me figure out how much fuel line I need and the fittings, the balance of my ETA system is in route via UPS, should have it by Wednesday, once we mock that all up, I will ship everything to Jamie Roy at SS Performance where he will bolt all of my parts to his test engine, get them working with his Haltech dash and programer and then once he is done with that, ship it back to me and we will have a running Honda SS by the end of January or the first week of February!! bottom of stock fuel tank with new bung.jpg parts removed from intank fuel pump to make return line.jpg top of stock fuel tank.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. andymo

andymo Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice work. That looks like something all of us turbo guys should look into to prevent fuel starvation.

12. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    When you remove the fill spout, the obstruction in the tank, be aware that little droplets of fuel will splash out when fueling. The droplets appear to be very small drops that are carried out by the venting air. You might consider making a towel bib to put around the filler to keep the droplets off your body works. If your not concerned about the droplets then fuel it up full speed.

LC

• Agree Agree x 1