SSV rear deck hump Speaker pods - Review

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by XXX 74, Jan 7, 2017.

1. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The Kicker KM654 @VicBarra00 mentions is a marine speaker, which will survive UV from being in the sun.

Polk Audio db6501, Rockford Fosgate R165X3, JL C2 6.5 are coaxial automotive speakers that will quite possibly break down in two years due to UV exposure. A huge issue will all of those is the tweeters are off a central post instead of suspended, which will cause moisture and dust, and most definitely rain, to funnel into the voicecoil.

Not telling you what to do or how things will turn out, but it's food for thought.

Smack one if you like people's posts! ↓↓↓↓

• Like Like x 2
  2. mcclendons

mcclendons Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I went with Polk MM651s, they are very highly rated, fit easily, and sound great. Marine certified as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'll explain this for the general reader who doesn't post regularly and would like to upgrade their speakers, not to review anyone's install.

The MM651 speaker is not a marine speaker (driver, properly called). Some eBay and Amazon sellers are titling their ads as "marine speakers" although the product they're selling is clearly pictured as the MM651, and usually no further claim of "marine" is used. If someone catches them, they simply claim they made a simple mistake in the title and then change the title, having pocketed all that money in the mean time. As always, know what you're buying, and buyer beware.

Polk did make a MM651UM, which they called a "marine certified speaker." (According to Polk, it's discontinued.) I'm not sure about that specific driver, so let's look at their other "marine certified" drivers.

Here's a DB522 from their "marine certified" series, a 5.25" coaxial driver (click to make it bigger):
    polk_12_Volt_DB_Plus_5.25_inch_coax_grille_pair_studio_002.png
    It's mostly the same as the DB652 but easier to see what I'm explaining. While the tweeter looks like it's suspended by a plastic grill, it's actually on a post. Here's another view:
    polk_12v_DB_5_25_inch_coax_car_speaker_studio_002.png
    Also, they say it's "marine certified" but the product is categorized by them as a "coax car speaker." The post is the problem, if it's in a car or cabin cruiser it should do just fine, but if it's hit with rain or saltwater which splashes or is blown toward the cone, the water is going to follow the cone like it's a funnel, right through the opening for the center post, and right into the magnet. If it's clean rain water that's not washing dust or bug guts into the driver, and it doesn't get pushed through the magnet to the other side and into the voice coil, it's not much of an issue since the cone is polypropylene (and the surround is rubber). If it's salt water or has dirt, not good, the cone will grind the dirt against the magnet, and the cone will wear out first. Polk isn't the only manufacturer with bold "marine certified" claims, Fusion, Blaupunkt, and others do the same...

Let's look at a proper marine configuration where Kicker suspended the tweeter is suspended above the mid-bass driver (click for larger):
    Kicker_PS5250.jpg
    That's the way it should be! Any water will run off the face of the driver, and if it's salt-water the whole thing can be hosed down with fresh water to clean it up. Same on the Slingshot--you should be able to hose the whole machine down and clean it up; if you can't then dust and sun will probably be a problem eventually.

The materials used in marine drivers resist corrosion. That's important if you drive your Slingshot on the coast or in the rain.

Rockford Fosgate does something very different with their PM282H, they use a gasket on the inside as well as the outside to seal off the center post:
    Rockford_Fosgate-PM282H.jpg
    That's rather unusual with the tweeter plugging in to an electrical connection in the center post, but at least it's all sealed up. Also notice the mounting pattern, marine drivers are subject to environmental vibrations and should have eight or more fastening points for a resilient and long-lasting seal.

Hopefully you find this helpful, that's the only point in posting this, to help you spend less money and get better long-term results for your investment. Not trying to say any member is right/wrong/other, or tell you how to do/not do your install. It's your install, enjoy it!

You can always provide feedback, it's free! ↓↓↓↓

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. mcclendons

mcclendons Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Polk does consider the 651 marine certified, as do many review sites and vendors (eg top 10 reviews. The 651s have been used in motorcycle community for years, with good results. Not trying to argue, and acknowledge that some designs may be better than others, but do think the Polks are marine certified for what that means,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Scott King

Scott King New Member

Thanks Received:
    image.jpg I recently purchased four of the Polk MM651UM speakers, they fit perfectly in the front and the rear SSV pods. They also have the suspended tweeter design and they sound great.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    I dunno. I have been buying equipment from Crutchfield on and off for 25 years. I have always found them an accurate and reliable source.

polk1.JPG
    polk2.JPG

7. Scott King

Scott King New Member

Thanks Received:
    image.jpg image.jpg One thing I would recommend regardless of what speaker you use is to drill a drain hole in the front pocket so it doesn't hold water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking the same thing about the OEM front speaker pods after swapping the speakers. Does anyone have experience/input on this?

9. Don Keebles

Don Keebles Active Member

Thanks Received:
    I put these ssv rear speaker pods in last weekend. The Clarion head unit CSM5 , my amp is 800.5 Kicker amp - I have the LED speakers up front, two rear SSV pods down behind the seat, SSV Subwoofer and now the two rear behind the head SSV pods. The pods were very easy to install, the hardest thing was removing the seat under which is my amp. The rear speakers really finish the deal, you can hear music at highway speeds whereas before I would have to blast and turn down the sound at traffic lights. For the rear I used the SSV Works supplied speakers which sound fine to me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2SierraRomeo

2SierraRomeo Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i really appreciated seeing your post on the other site before I installed mine. Thanks, saved me a couple hours of uninstalling, drilling, and reinstalling.

• Like Like x 2
  11. uglyrider954

uglyrider954 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Few photos of the tuffskinz carbon Kit... looks awesome.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1