SSV rear deck hump Speaker pods - Review

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by XXX 74, Jan 7, 2017.

1. TCB

TCB Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    U do and will need a amp

2. TCB

TCB Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I got ,my rear hump pods today! Now I will have front, side and sub along with the new rear hump pods.. Cant wait to install and hook up!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Batshot

Batshot Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    If you took out the front pods, which are garbage any way, and just used the back pods it would work with the stock head unit. But anymore then two 6.5 speakers will need an amp. My stock head unit does a pretty good job with the ssv front pods I have with 6.5 60 RMS speakers in it. That being said, I am going to add an amp and the rear hoop pods for 4 speakers total.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Batshot

Batshot Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Clarion has an amp on Amazon that should check all these boxes. It is 300 amp, has speaker level and RCA inputs and is about 75 bucks and marine grade. Unless someone tells me there is a better choice I am going that way. Only problem I see with it is, it won't support a sub, but I need my cubbies too much anyway for those. Screenshot_20170107-200956.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    I can't remember why I picked the XC2410 over the XC1410, but the XC1410 appears to be a reasonably priced amp for what it does. Amazon doesn't list the XC1410 as a marine unit for exposure to the elements which might be why I decided on the XC2410. Amazon lists bothe XC2410 and 2510 aps as marine grade. As long as the XC1410 is mounted in a reasonably dry position where it is protected from exposure to water, it should be OK.
    The Clarion XC2410 unit is listed on Clarion's website as a 4/3/2 channel amp, which usually means it can support 2 front channels and 2 rear channels, or it can support a Left and Right Channel + a sub-woofer (2+1 or 3 channel mode), or it can provide more power to just a left and right channel (bridged 2 channel mode). Unfortunately, I haven't found any method of connecting the amp in its 2+1 mode. The manual for the XC2410 is the same manual Clarion supplies for the XC2510. The manual shows the XC2410 connected to 4 channels or in bridged 2 channel mode. The XC2510 is shown connected in 5 channel (4 channels + sub-woofer) or bridged 2 channel + sub-woofer. I bought the XC2410 thinking I could use it to power either four channels (Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear) or in 3 channel mode (Left, Right + sub-woofer). If I can't figure out how to hook it up in 3 channel mode, I'm going to be a little disappointed.
    I've had my equipment for awhile now and am finally getting around to trying to get everything installed. Good luck with your install.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. XXX 74

XXX 74 Disruptive --> IG /Facebook Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Im glad a lot of you liked the review...

I will try to answer all the questions that have not been already answered.

I ran the wires from the front. I pre-wired the pods when I was installing the sub and the amp. I never touched the rear outside panels.

Man, I must have called 10 times asking for the same thing. But those guys were awesome and provided me with an update each time. Not only that, they took my number and actually called me when the pods were ready. Who does that these days?
    The install was super easy. Only took around 1hour and that was with me stopping to take pictures for the review.
    About the finish: It is very solid, Heavy and I would say thick. I cannot compare to any other pods they make because I do not have those pods. As compared to the factory finish: it looks like it belongs there. Does not alter the feel and finish of the Slingshot.

I got them direct from SSV. The ones I removed are the stock ones that were wrapped in carbon. It would be cheaper for anyone to wrap theirs vs buying mines.

Not sure. I have an amp. I suggest getting an amp anyways because you will need a sub.

I do not have a profile picture but the pods do not stick out much and if you look at the picture of both units side by side from the top, you can see that the stock ones stick out more towards the back...

I respectfully disagree. The stock pods are good, The stock speakers are not. Some people will also argue that the stock head unit is not good. However I never had an issue with it and I am happy with the sound.
    I kept the stock pods and upgraded all the speakers but kept the 6 speakers front set up. I now have 8 speakers and a sub for a total of 9. It can be a little more expensive but that was my preference.
    There are other pods options available out there.

Cheers !

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jonyb

jonyb Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That Clarion amp is nowhere near 300W. MAYBE 25W per channel, at most.

As for the rear pods. I never saw a picture with the seat back in it's right position.

And the stereo is so much louder? Yes, that's what happens when speakers are 3" from your ears.

The OEM system has very poor imaging and very little power. It's horrible (as people say) because there's a terrible signal and little to no power. Without those 2 things, a stereo is nothing. Adding more speakers to the infotainment system will make it worse if there's not an amplifier. Even then if you've added an amp, it's still a low preout voltage and distorted signal.

8. Cycle Springs

Cycle Springs Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    We are leaving the pods empty at this time as so many of you have your own preference in speakers. We will still beat any competitors price on these. Great write up on the install.

• Like Like x 2
  9. XXX 74

Thanks Received:
    I posted a picture with the seats back.

When I said it was much louder: yeah it is obvious that it would be louder if I was sitting in it and my head was 3" from the speakers but I was not sitting in it. So my head was not 3" away.
    I was listening to it standing outside. I have done this many times when adjusting the amp on which I set the head unit volume at a specific number and listen to it outside.

Im not so sure about your comment: "It's horrible (as people say) because there's a terrible signal and little to no power.... it's still a low precut voltage and distorted signal"

I played pink noise signal out of the head unit and directly into my Real Time Analyzer (RTA) and the signal was pretty damn decent without major distortion in any of the frequencies. The unit itself is not great, but is not terrible. I do agree that it lacks of power...

Most of the time people say is horrible so that they can justify to themselves replacing the head unit to another one only to realize that the new unit is not so different because the slingshot is not designed with good acoustics so nobody can expect to have great sound.

cheers,
    XXX

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. XXX 74

Thanks Received:

That is a great move... To be honest I might end up changing the speakers. Not because they do not sound right but because just like you mentioned, I have my preference when it comes to speakers.
    Glad you liked the write up.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jonyb

jonyb Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    When I mentioned a picture with the seat, I meant with the seat back taken from the front, not behind the speaker. The speaker is almost completely blocked by the seat, that's what I was looking for.

Naturally they're going to be louder than the kick panels because they're higher and they weren't covered up.

And yes, you can have great sound, but it takes more than throwing speakers in without clean, non-distorted signal or power. A new head unit by itself won't fix it, there's much more required. Most people here can't understand that - when they think adding speakers alone will make it better. I'm not trying to point out anything you're doing that I think is wrong or bad idea, just trying to make a point that stereo fixes aren't an easy fix to overcome the poor design from the factory that they're trying to add to.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fla Tom

Fla Tom Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    @Cycle Springs will you be offering these painted factory colors? hint hint