SSV rear deck hump Speaker pods - Review

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by XXX 74, Jan 7, 2017.

1. XXX 74

XXX 74 Disruptive --> IG /Facebook Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I will start with a little history: In December of 2015 I ordered The sub box from SSV. In the box they included a brochure with a Slingshot next to an airplane that had speakers behind the headrest and I immediately called them. They informed me that they were in the process of making the mold for it and that it will be done soon... :)
    That changed my installations plans a bit. :smug: Instead of a 3 channel amp I got a 5 channel amp 2 front / 2 rear and sub. I installed everything and wired the rear channel to where the pods would be...:smuggrin:

After that I called SSV almost every month asking about the pods... I must have driven them crazy. :banghead:
    But they were super cool about it and provided me an update each and every time.;)

December 2016, out of nowhere I got a call from a 818 area code... "This is SSV calling to inform you that the rear speaker pods for the slingshot are complete..."

I receive the package and this is what I got:
    [​IMG]

My first impression was, wow. This was really well built. The pods look and feel SOLID. The quality of the pods are outstanding.
    The package comes with everything you need and with instructions that are pretty clear even for someone who has never done an install.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared side by side:

[​IMG]

I followed the instructions and proceeded to test the fitment... Absolutely NO ISSUES.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then completed the install on the passenger side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver side adds just one step, the gas cover, but is super easy. Even a 5 year old can do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the good stuff....:)

The sound is amazing. :cool: It really feels the much needed music sound on the slingshot. It is loud and clear :wideyed:.

At stand still I found myself lowering the radio because of how loud it was using the same volume that I used before.

I set the audio at the same level that I had issues hearing before at 70mph and I had no problem listening to my music.:headphone:

Overall I rate the product A+.

It was without a doubt worth waiting for. Do I recommend this? Hell YEAH. You will be happy.;)

A huge thanks to SSV for such a great product.

@Greg@SSVworks

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. mcclendons

mcclendons Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Great review. I've installed my speakers into the pods, and next step is of course mounting to the sling. Question, how do you run the speaker wires?

My gut says pull the back panel (in front of the rear tire), and run down by the gas tank and into the area under the seat. I am hoping you do not have to go down the back though, as I installed the Corbin saddlebags and it is a little tougher than it used to be to remove the top and rear panels. In fact, will have to pull the bags off....

Appreciate knowing how you ran them before I give it a shot tomorrow.

3. 2W2X1

2W2X1 Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Awaiting my set now.

Great job on pressuring them to get these done. Your install looks like it was trouble free and turned out great.

Can you comment on the finish of the pods? Is it different from their other pods? How does it compare to the factory finish?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Well now I'm confoosed. You show the speakers as part of what you received while the Cycle Springs site clearly indicates speakers not included. Can you clarify? Great review and those are really sharp! Are you going to sell the carbon fiber pieces you removed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2W2X1

Thanks Received:
    Direct from SSV works you can order them with speakers. Don't forget to use the forum coupon code for 10% off.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks 2-dub. Another question: will these speakers work with the stock infotainment system or is an amp required?

• Like Like x 2
  7. 2W2X1

Thanks Received:
    I don't have the stock system and unfamiliar with the amp limitations Polaris used. Hopefully someone with stock system knowledge will chime in.

8. BlueFire

BlueFire Member

Thanks Received:
    Same question ... I don't even know, and so far haven't been able to track down, the specifications on the factory head unit/amp set up.

9. Bohead

Bohead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! Thanks for the review. I was considering adding this to my setup. Quick question, do the pods stick out more behind the arch compared to the original pieces? I am considering getting the Alpha Luggage racks for trips, but fear that it won't be able to mount flush if the pods are sticking out.

Do you have rear mount comparisons? Or a side profile pic of how much it sticks out so I can compare to my current stock ones?

10. Batshot

Batshot Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Great review!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TCB

TCB Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    U would need an amp

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    If you really want to use your stock infotainment system w/o adding an amp, your bet bet is to disconnect the stock front speaker pods and extend the wiring to the appropriate rear speaker. Or, just buy a new amp, either 4 channel to handle the front and rear speaker pods or a 5 channel unit if you want to add a sub-woofer. Of course, adding the amp will also get you into adding a new fuse block and the associated wiring. Slingmods sells a kit to add a new fuse block with all of the wiring needed (Polaris Slingshot Fuse Block with Wiring Harness) or a fancy new phone-controlled unit (Polaris Slingshot SmartPhone Controlled Bluetooth Enabled Power Distribution Box) with optional wiring harness.
    Forgot to add that you should look for an amp that supports both RCA and speaker line inputs. The factory infotainment unit doesn't have RCA outputs and you need the speaker line inputs to connect the speaker output from the dash unit to the amp. Having the RCA inputs gives additional flexibility if you change dash units in the future.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1