Slingshot v Tri Pod 1

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot vs The Competition' started by TriPod1, Mar 18, 2015.

1. TriPod1

TriPod1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Three Wheel fans,

Thought I would start a thread on the SS versus our kit reverse trike. Obviously our kit won't be of interest to many on here because...well....its a kit but hey I have been working on this design for nearly 10 years and maybe its worth a mention as it doesn't have some of the "features" of other kit or small production trikes mentioned here.

By "features" I mean it does have two seats unlike the otherwise excellent Scorpion, and it isn't quite as busy and over styled as the T Rex. Oh and maybe its not quite as ugly as the Grinnal (not my words, but those of the writers in that particular thread).

As it is only a kit it is not really an alternative purchase to a SS so I am definitely not here to rouse up some business but might be looking for some constructive opinion...

As someone who has done 30,000 miles in reverse trikes (our prototype mainly) maybe I can offer some thoughts on the benefits or otherwise of the three wheeled layout as well.

We are based in Australia but we have recently sold a kit to our US distributor (which he will be building up as a demo car) and and I will be tripping over there shortly (April, Colorado) to give him a hand to get the build rolling. While I am there I would love to have a quick drive in the SS at it intrigues me. Maybe someone could suggest a friendly dealer?

It intrigues me because I have only ever driven my own design and as much as I have had huge enjoyment driving it and in turn have improved our original recipe to what we offer now in the production kit it would be very interesting to drive a production car version. The SS is somewhat heavier but obviously has heaps more torque than our motorcycle powered version.

Some of the fun of driving our design I think comes from the extreme lightness (not that we build it out of hi tech materials or anything) so the fact that everyone reports the SS as still being a hoot to drive makes we want to understand more about how it compares to the Tri Pod.

Our most popular model/version at the moment is Honda Blackbird powered which offers 150 odd HP which drives our 900 pound car along pretty well. The 6 speed sequential close ratio gearbox is good fun too.

Pics and a video or two are on our website for anyone wondering what it looks like.

Thanks for reading, Andrew.

2. SlingMods

SlingMods Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    I don't see a website link?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. TriPod1

TriPod1 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Stickerdick

Stickerdick Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Sneaky non-vendor?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SlingJockey

SlingJockey Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Post edited, my comment was a poor attempt at some very dry humor, mainly as the OP failed to leave a link to their website.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. SAINT SS

SAINT SS Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Otter

Otter Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    At least some people know how to use Google :D

Hey, the guy had enough respect to not act like a Troll advertising his wares for free. Full props to the OP.

I like the big displacement auto engine approach of the SS but a good enough P/W ratio could turn my head. And I'll be in CO later this Spring :)

If Tripod is still around after the hostility, I'd like to know how reverse gear is done on this design. It kinda sucks on T-Rex from the reports I've read.

8. SlingJockey

Thanks Received:
    Not a bad looking unit, but in the one vid, I noticed the driver doing a lot of correction thru the twisties. I had virtually none of that on our Alpha ride on a road that had loose sand, good turns and considerable speed.

9. SlingJockey

Thanks Received:
    i've edited my post, it wasn't my intent to come off as brutal as it sounded.

10. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:
    Its electric......woogy woogy woogy .......

"Electric reverse - Motor, arm, sprockets, linear actuator, instructions etc. $1100"

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Otter

Otter Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks OM, missed that on the site.
    Pricey, but a good technical solution and worth it to avoid the embarrassment of pushing your ride out of a parking spot :)
    Way better than the rube-Goldberg kluge on T-Rex.

12. Otter

Otter Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    No sweat, I've made my own share of abrasive comments that didn't come off as intended :)

• Like Like x 1