Slingshot Turbo'd Vs TREX - Who is faster?

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot vs The Competition' started by Juice, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly.

If the Ariel was say, $40K, I'd have one in my garage. Polaris was very smart. They swooped in and stole the egg right out from under the chicken and even with all the mods I have done (including the turbo) I am still under $40K.

Where can I have this much fun for under $40K without being arrested? Nowhere. That's where. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Noah Katz

Noah Katz Active Member

Thanks Received:
    That's surprising; if it is like the TRex, it's much lighter and has better tires.

3. Wolf

Wolf Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!

Thanks Received:
    It could be their lightness that makes them less road hugging in corners? Not sure of the why, but I was constantly catching and passing them near corners in my stock, base SS as were other Slingers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wolf

Wolf Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!

Thanks Received:
    I did some searching, they use the same motor, they look the same, but the T- rex is about 500lbs lighter, shorter(length and wheelbase) and narrower. So the T- rex would probably be a closer match and most likely best the Sling on the twisty track.
    Screenshot_2016-07-01-15-52-13.png Screenshot_2016-07-01-15-48-27.png

• Like Like x 3
  5. uglyrider954

uglyrider954 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    So what's the general consensus? Would a turbo sling beat a t-rex?

6. iNewton

iNewton Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I will stop all the arguing in the thread once and for all.

First, if Anyone comparing a stock SS to a T-Rex for track use should be put on medication.

The stock SS is a decent machine, but it is NO match for a T-rex on a track. Not even close.

If you have seen or raced a trex in your SS and you passed it, its either because the rex was sandbagging or driver was scared.

The Trex is lighter, more powerfull, has MUCH better braking, is better balanced, has lower center of gravity, its more agile, and in stock form has much better tires. There is nothing a stock SS can do against a trex IF driven by good pilots.

Now, why you might see a SS pass a trex on a track? If you have ever driven a trex on a race track (which I did) you will know that it doesn't have ABS, it has no throttle control, and no stability control. It is very easy to overcook corners in a rex.

The SS is MUCH easier to drive. Its more reassuring in corners and feels less like a knife edge. So wanna be pilots will naturally push the SS more than you would a trex. But this is only because of the pilot. The Trex is just better on a track.

NOW. Can a Slingshot be a quicker machine? Yes it can. On all types of tracks? No.

I have raced Trex in my close to stock SS, and in my turboed SS, and I think I can say I now have one of the most track worthy SS available now. And even then, against a good pilot, a trex is not an easy prey.

I have not dynoed my SS yet, but I am running an built engine which is comparable (I would say better, but I don't want to start an argument lol) than the DDM engine that figured in Rabtech's 500hp dyno pull, and I will go ahead and forward that my SS must be pushing easy in the 450hp (I will not bash dyno runs, but I don't trust dyno numbers, I trust lap times and drag slips. On this, I think the 500hp claim is not real, but that's just me).

Anyways, I now have a heavily modded SS running around at least 400hp, 19 inch and 20 inch rims front and rear, toyo R888 tires, 265 wide front and 315 rear, a race tuned SCALE suspension with specs custom made for me, hawk race pads (yeah money is not infinite lol) race seats and harness etc etc, so my SS is track ready.

All the events I attend are racing against TRex, they are the guys making the track days possible here in my area. I am always the lone SS in the rex pack.

My last run was with a newly bullt engine finishing its break-in on a very quick track in Mont-Tremblant, and my conclusion is this: in a straight line, its a no contest, my SS eats the rex like its parked. But in the bends, where you can't use the power, my SS and a well driven rex are very very close.

Du to my sucking brakes (for now) braking vs a trex the trex outbrakes me easy.

Don't beleive my credibility? Have a look yourself in my youtube channel:

This is mostly stock everthing except ofr cold air, rear tire and race seats :

This is during engine break in running at 8psi and sandbagging a lot because of using normal oil etc... Still not pushing the SS to the max:

I have a couple other vids on my channel search for Marc Bibeau.

Hope this settles any possible arguments or theories about this comparison...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish I knew someone around here that had a Rex. Would love to see how my machine compares to it on the street and track.

You need a BBK. It makes a huge difference on the track. Haul that thing down to AZ for some fall/winter track events!

8. iNewton

iNewton Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Yes I know I need a BBK, I am just not sure which one.

Right now I run huge rims, 19 inch and 20 in the rear, but I find this to be too heavy. I prefer the feeling of the stock base wheels. Issue is, only Alpha BBK fits base wheels, and I find the price on that kit is too expensive.

Looking at options, and putting money aside to do it too, I have a good bankroll but its not infinite...

• Like Like x 2