Slingshot has been at the dealer for a month now...

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Problems and Issues' started by J.Smitty, Jun 29, 2016.

1. J.Smitty

J.Smitty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same clicking in the rear end that many members have dealt with. I took the Slingshot to the dealer. They "supposedly" fixed the the clicking problem. I also had them install the heat management kit. They told me to come pick it up. Being as I've had nothing but issues from the dealer and their mechanics (who I seriously think are Hooked on Phonics), I double checked everything. Drove down the road and it died. Somehow started and I babied it back to the dealer. That was a month ago. They said they aren't getting enough juice from the battery? Or some shit like that? Has to be a 13 something? Hell I don't know. They tried to blame it on my aftermarket stereo, but I assured them that I've had absolutely no problem since having it professionally installed. It wasn't just a coincidence. But I know they changed the alternator and the wiring harness. Still no fix. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. Any advice would be helpful. Am I at the mercy of these idiots or is there something that can be done? I've called Polaris a couple times. The people I've talked to just say that Polaris is working with the dealer to solve this issue. I knew I'd have an issue here and there from buying a first year model, but damn. This is getting ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bigfoot21075

Bigfoot21075 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    This is painful for sure, but fixable. The voltage to anywhere is very easy to test. The hard thing to find is if it is a connector problem (most likey to the Electronic Control Module) it could be as simple as a faulty ground. I would have hoped they would know to simply trace it our from point to point to locate the issue. Have you talked to the service manager yet or even the General Manager? Is there another dealer in the area? The stereo is easy enough to eliminate from possibilities. Heck - they can disconnect the power to the system if they really thought that, I suspect they were just looking to blame something.....

3. J.Smitty

J.Smitty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    There is one other dealer that is local. I fully intend on using them for any future work. The owner of the dealer that is working on it now is just as bad as everyone else working there. He gave me a ride home the day I went to pick it up. That was on a Thursday. He told me that they'd probably just wait until Monday to work on my Slingshot since there were other customers that needed service work. I'm like wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have the big battery or little one,

5. J.Smitty

J.Smitty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    I originally had the big battery, but they swapped it out for a smaller one as part of the heat management kit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jay2thaC

Jay2thaC Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    How does the battery affect heat management. Go back to the bigger battery. I went to the Optima, no need to use smaller battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. J.Smitty

J.Smitty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Polaris has went with smaller batteries to keep the same overall weight.

9. Slingking

Slingking Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    And they suck, just like the original batteries......There's no reason you personally need to keep the overall weight. If you're going to add accessories, get a bigger battery. How elaborate is your sound system?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Let's talk a little bit more about your stereo upgrade.

How many AMPS total does you system draw (and I mean total as in stereo, amp, equalizer, powered sub if applicable)?

Serious stereos draw serious amperage and it's not unusual for people running high end equipment in cars to add a second battery.

Also you have to understand the alternator on the SS is not designed to run a dozen pieces of additional equipment.

I would bet dollars to donuts your stereo equipment is overriding the alternators and batteries ability to keep up with the current draw.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. J.Smitty

J.Smitty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got a call. Said it was engine harness?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Slingking

Slingking Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Thankfully still under warranty. :) Keep us posted brother.

• Like Like x 1