Semi blown tire breaks my slingshot

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Problems and Issues' started by 2climbbig, Dec 1, 2016.

1. 2climbbig

2climbbig Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, its true, a piece of blown tire coming off a semi got under my fender and into my engine compartment. The tire piece got wedged between the alternator belt and the pulley tensioner and melted the pulley causing my belt to fly off. So, no splash guard equals risk to crap getting in your engine compartment. Total cost... $26 for a pulley and $16 for a belt.

I wonder what are the odds? Should I be playing the lotto or avoid a lightening storm?

Adding this in case you need a belt. It's 35.5" 5 grove micro v-belt

Tensioner pulley.jpg .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mniron

Mniron Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    You should play the lottery in a lightening storm! What are the odds?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the title should read:

$42 Fixes Slingshot After Semi Damages It

:D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2climbbig

Thanks Received:

That is boring... way more boring then the sound and flurry of tire bursting with crap flying at me. Oh and that reminds me... always wear eye protection! While nothing hit me in the face, crap was flying everywhere and we sit with our a$$ scraping along the ground in an open cockpit. Just saying. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'll give you that...

Hedgehogs wear goggles...

:D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    We call them road alligators here and they have caused more than a few deaths.

I remember a couple years ago a guy that was real well known for his charity work and Harley rallies here hit one on Parker Road. It followed the front tire up under the fender until it hit the forks and then BOOM, 60 MPH skull plant into the road. Dude never had a chance.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. harleyujoe

harleyujoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the reason you should stay back and not tailgate, should not be on phones/texting/ playing the radio to loud/ looking at GPS's ect.
    But every day very few really pay attention to the road and more involved in media .
    But our laws do nothing to stop it.
    All my years on 2 wheels and the things I saw and just shake my head that people just do not pay attention..
    2 years ago in New Mexico come up on this guy that just passed me I was doing 85 mph he doing 90 and then slows down to 70 and texting and minutes later
    flies by me and few minutes later slows down .. And I see it every day. So the world we live in.
    But my point is you can not miss everything in road but if you stay back you have better chance . But if you are beside a truck and tire comes apart you
    have luck on your side to survive then count your blessing if not then results to be determined.
    I have been lucky on 2 wheels for 45 years and seen so much and some close calls caused my me but by others more.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. MISTERZ06

MISTERZ06 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    WELL SAID

......................................... tom n carol

9. 2climbbig

Thanks Received:
    Who was tailing gating... I was passing on the left. But that said, I can see your point. If you are tailgating you would have less time to react.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. harleyujoe

harleyujoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I did not mean 2climbbig at you it was a general statement for all to consider when driving to give thought to all elements
    that POP Up during driving of any vehicle. That we have all become less tentative to driving and paying to much attention
    to electronics and not the road ahead. I really to be honest should not write anything for the few who approved of my comment
    are the few who probably do pay attention and all others shrug or shake their head and say some old man mouthing off.
    I do not have a cell phone and never will I do not play any radios or look at GPS I use a map and pull over or just get loss
    and find new roads .
    So the moral of the story is if you are lucky or your not at times , things happen and this is if you do OR do not pay attention things happen.
    So Wish YOU ALL a VERY MERRY LUCKY CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR !!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2climbbig

Thanks Received:

You sir are absolutely correct! Not only do I agree, but I preach the same thing. Merry xmas!

12. 1poser

1poser Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    @harleyujoe thats as old school as anybody can get and god bless you!
    There's always a price to pay for convenience and it's not worth anyone's life or property.

I always ride/drive with the SEE approach;

Search-always looking ahead and around
    Evaluate-think what might happen/what can happen
    Execute-don't hesitate/drive in blind spots or lag

Food for thought!

Be safe everyone happy holidays!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1