Radar Detector Install Idea

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by RedSling, Nov 27, 2016.

1. RedSling

RedSling New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I would like to do is install a radar receiver in the front grill and one attached to the rear license plate bracket. A control panel like the one below would be installed in the dash. upload_2016-11-27_17-53-28.png

Pro-3600 Laser Radar Detector I'm speaking about the Whistler Pro-3600. For those of you concerned about being pulled over using a radar detector, it is a none issue with a remote install. There is no large object sitting on your window or dash, just a control panel like the one above.

Has anyone completed an install similar?

If so, how did it work?

For everyone else, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  2. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:

Was coming home (La Porte, IN) from SC and was headed west on I40 in TN when a young man 1/2 mile ahead of me turned on his lights for a few seconds "saying 'don't hit me in the @ss" with that thing so I slowed down just enough to keep him in sight at about 3/4
    mile.

3. Bob Davis

Bob Davis Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Back in the seventies I had a Lotus Europa. They had an all fiberglass body. I had an early generation radar detector that I took apart and set up like that, with just a light and speaker in the cab and the components in the front trunk. It was a mid-engine car. And it worked great.

4. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'm a member of RD Forum, there are a few setups there for doing what you want with good range for today's stealthy RADAR guns. You might want to look at the Shootouts to see which brands perform and which don't.

@Soundz Plus has a setup you might be interested in, and it's very clean.

The good thing is the Slingshot is hard to get a lock on at distance, so unless you're on top of the cop you're pretty much immune to RADAR, laser isn't easy either thanks to tiny headlights and no front plate. Obviously other methods such as VASCAR still work.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. MRD

MRD Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That is the one I have in my slingshot, I mounted the readout just to the right of the dash next to the gauges to keep it out of the rain. Not the best viewing angle due to the steering wheel location but not a lot of options otherwise. It works great, I have the main radar head mounted in my grill and the optional pickup on the top of the fin so it can make use of both the front and rear facing detectors. I made a custom little bracket that has a U shape that slides over the 3rd brake light for the second antenna.

I mounted the termination block under the dase, it is snap tied to the steel frame. I also bought the GPS for the traffic alerts and traffic cameras.

Great unit, excellent false alarm rejection and it learns as you drive. If it see a false alarm over and over again in the same location (GPS required) it knows to disregard. Great for stores with door openers that tend to send out a false alarm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. RedSling

RedSling New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I was wondering where to put the rear unit.

How did you run the wire up to the top of the fin?

If I'm not being too much overhead, pictures please.

Barry

7. MRD

MRD Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Barry,

I ran the wire along the floor along side the driver side then opened up enough of the fin to fish it in. Unfortunately I keep my SS outside under a cover so getting pictures is difficult. I typically bring it in on weekends so i can work on it so I will try to get pictures then.

One of the options is to have it read out voltage when not reading a radar signal so I use it for this purpose as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RedSling

RedSling New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finished the install today.

For the front remote receiver, I cut an opening in the blank space next to the drivers side headlight and mounted it through the cutout.

I drilled a hole and mounted the led in the panel to the left of the radio. I mounted the GPS receiver on the dash, between the windshield support and the windshield.

The small screen is mounted right behind the steering wheel in front of the gauges and finally, the speaker is mounted in the top space between the gauges.

The hardest part was figuring out where and how much to cut away from the headlight blank.

Now that I did one, I'm very sure the next one would be much cleaner.

In fact, if anyone has installed Canadian headlights and wants to sell the drivers side cover please let me know.

Thanks
    Barry

• Informative Informative x 1