Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Question on new madstad hood kit

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MRD 
#1 ·
  • Has anybody replaced my hood kit with shocks with the new madstad one that opens farther. I want to know does it make the hood any easier to open than my kit. One thing I could never fix is the first 3 inchs hood was still hard to pull up on than it was good from there. Want to know before I buy

#2 ·
  • Has anybody replaced my hood kit with shocks with the new madstad one that opens farther. I want to know does it make the hood any easier to open than my kit. One thing I could never fix is the first 3 inchs hood was still hard to pull up on than it was good from there. Want to know before I buy
The initial lift is still hard, but the better access to the engine compartment is worth it.

#5 ·
I added the gas struts after seeing @Supermoto292's initial post. My hood was and is still difficult to open during the first few inches as others have noted. At one point, I had installed some hood springs at the rear of the hood and found that while they were installed, opening the hood was a little easier since the springs assisted in getting the hood to start its moment, but I removed the springs as they also seemed to increase the frequency of my hood latches allowing the hood to come free while driving.
I post this because I wonder if the use of old-style hood springs at the rear combined with @Mniron's hood-pins at the front (possibly with slightly stronger springs if the supplied springs don't lift the front enough) might facilitate the initial opening process and make it easier to open the hood?make it easier to

#6 ·
@BKL, I too have the assist struts and it is the initial lift that still needs help. You rear assist spring has validity, how much lift was obtained? The spring used in the Fender Button install only lifts maybe a half inch at most and I doubt it would really give any assistance. Interesting thought though, I do like your thought process.

#7 ·
I don't know how much lift the spring offered. IIRC, it was from a Dodge vehicle. Someday had posted how they used an automotive hood spring to make it easier to open the hood and I tried. It did make it easier, but I had my latches occasionally allowing the hood to come loose on one side. Once my hood actually opened while I was driving!
I liked the extra lift the rear spring provided (except for my malfunctioning hood latches)!:( The spring basically caused the hood to pop up above the gasket the hood rests on, IIRC. Now, when I open my hood, I typically have to lift the edge of the hood above the driver's side wheel to get the driver's side of the hood to start moving up at the back. Once I've done that, the hood opens pretty easily.

#9 ·
I think it is time for a hydraulic system!

#15 ·
Once properly adjusted they look fine. Shutting the hood is actually harder but I may need to loosen the bolts slightly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I was driving at night, fortunately on a sweeping left hand curve, when the hood latches all released. Since I was on the lift hand curve, I was still able to see if any traffic was oncoming (there wasn't any) as the hood started lifting up towards the front of the Slingshot. I was able to carefully pull over to the sie of the road and refasten the hood. I took the springs off when I got home. Over a period o several months, I had been experiencing at least one hood latch coming loose, sometimes having to pull over a relatch the hood several times in a 130 miles ride. The last straw was when all 4 went at the same time! There was enough lift for the hood to start rising even though there was oncoming air rushing against it. It was an unexpected demo of how an airplane wing generates lift.

#17 ·
No, this is the first one. I love the way the hood opens wider, great idea!

#19 ·
I have it under cover right now, no spare room in the garage. The next sunny day I see if I can get a video but I can say opening is about the same for the first little bit until the hydraulic ram starts to assist which then takes all the wieght. When it gets to about the same degree as stock it comes to a stop as you have topped out the ram, after that it is relatively easy to pull the remainder of the way open. Closing is harder once you reach the half way point as now you have to push the ram back down but this does prevent slamming. The last little bit needs a firm push to ensure it engages all 4 locks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.