Post your sub woofer pics!!!

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by deaf1, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Slingin

Slingin Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    The angle the subwoofer fires at has a lot to do with how it sounds.

Subs produce long sound waves. Where you are in that sound wave affects what you hear and or feel.

Having a 10" woofer 6 inches behind you firing directly into your back may give a feeling of bass but the sound is not truly fully developed.

That's why you can run a w0, w1, w3 or w6. The sound will not change significantly as long as the woofer is. It over powered and overextended. The volume will increase some with power, efficiency and cone travel. But when you through the open cockpit into the mix that becomes less noticeable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. jaytizzl

jaytizzl Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:

lol..i think he meant to type angle of the sub.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WraithSS

WraithSS Hold my beer and watch this!

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but I don't think he has realized that yet.....LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    I'll even add a little more as far as the angle aspect...move your seat...it will change the way the sub sounds substantially. Longer the sound waves, the more susceptible it is to cancellation. I am still trying to get my 10" sub to sound as good as it should...but with out a box being built, I don't think it will ever really do what I expected it to do.

5. uglyrider954

uglyrider954 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    If a more heavily amplified w6 will sound better in a car over a lower powered w3...then why (even in an open air concept) would it not sound better in the sling? It pushes more air faster and harder as the throw is longer as well. The speaker surround is much larger than w3 and it has dual voice coils. I'm interested to hear other people's opinions before I make the switch. @Envy Motoring what you think? People saying w3 will sound the same as w6.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    The excursion on the W6 is higher than the W3 so in theory with enough power behind it, yes, the W6 will be "better"...being a relative term...louder maybe...but in an open air application, you won't really notice a huge difference if any. You also now have to think about the power supply that you are going to use...I know that I don't draw that much power with my Kenwood MAC-3001 bridged at 2 ohms, but when I get something that drops real low and I can see the entire vehicle vibrate like mad, the battery does drain a bit and you can tell...it's almost like the Slingshot want's to shut down. The W6 requires a boat load of power where the W3 doesn't. So if you aren't worried about the power supply issue and your amp is powerful enough to beat the hell out of the W6, go for it. I think for the money there are better subs vs the W6...but money not being an issue, go for it...sounds like you already have your mind made up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Slingin

Thanks Received:
    The open air is a big factor. Volume is measured in SPL. Sound PRESSURE Level. In open air it is exponentially more difficult to build pressure than in a car. Think of a single 10w3 in a Mini Cooper vs that same 10 in a bus. Now change to a 10w6. You will not gain any db in the since SPL is made by the area of the piston, and the power pushing it. The xmax does aid some for moving air assuming the box is built properly for the application. The power handling is almost the same. Not enough difference to make a difference. Oh and by the way the w3 is more efficient by about 2 db. So same power same application same size sub the w3 should play louder.

The volume you get is right at the speaker. There is now building of pressure. That is how high SPL is made. By building pressure in a vehicle. So the application in the vehicle in this case will not add any transmission factoring for building volume. The only help you would get is have a box build firing upwards or downwards into the properly built box with the area the sub fires into reinforced and deadened as to not shake the vehicle apart.

have had 10w1, tw1, w3, w6 and w7.
    My favorite has always been the w6 in a vehicle built for SQ. They are just smoother and more controlled when in the right box with 600-750 watts to each one

I am running a 10w3 in the slingshot. I would not recommend anything more than that for this application. unless you just want to. In my opinion there is no need for more. Actually a 10w1 would suffice if you are running less than 500 watts.

If you do use a W6. Then make sure you put the power to it and get the box custome built. Otherwise you are pissing money away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. uglyrider954

uglyrider954 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Excellent post. Def swayed my decision. How much power are you running to your w3s? (I'm just assuming you have two). I currently have a JL 600watt amp in my sling powering the two JL Marine subs I'm giving back.. Should I use that for the two w3s or upgrade to 1000 or the HD1200? My main concern is having it sound the best it can be with my ssv enclosures.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slingin

Thanks Received:
    Sub channel of the 900/5 to one 10w3.
    500 watts
    600 watts to two 10w3s should be good. The extra power won't really gain you too much. They are efficient subs. If you double the power on the same subs you would gain maybe 1.5-2 db maybe.
    Start with what you have. But honestly the extra power probably won't be needed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ZX2Sling

ZX2Sling New Member

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 2W2X1

2W2X1 Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    +1... thinking of a similar install in this location. @Eric Sullivan

12. Eric Sullivan

Eric Sullivan Well-Known Member