Polaris Factory Turbo

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Builds' started by nipper51, Sep 16, 2015.

1. nipper51

nipper51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    watching the clip of the 2016SS X. They claim to have a turbo with 400hp. I wonder if they can install that turbo on our 2015's and still cover the original and extended warranties? Has any one heard any info on this topic?

2. SlungLow

SlungLow W.H.O.R.E. (We Haul Our Ride Everywhere)

Thanks Received:
    Our factory engines can't handle 400hp and what you saw on the video is not gonna be offered to the public by Polaris it's an aftermarket build project.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DKF Texas

DKF Texas Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe that its factory

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BlackDeath

BlackDeath Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Where is the clip?

5. sooey2u

sooey2u Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally would choose JonV or Hahn before I would go with Polaris.
    Robert

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    But I REALLY like this video (a must-see for Mustang lovers)...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Limited sl

Limited sl Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder about that the 300 hp is continuous duty and I can not see anyone running 400 for more than a short time you might look on the ecotec web blogs to see how much some of those guys are running on street motors JMO

9. SlungLow

Thanks Received:
    I should have said our factory motors can't "SAFELY" handle 400hp without some modifications. The OP suggested 400 warranty covered HP's. I don't think that's gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Stickerdick

Stickerdick Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    At the slingfest cup you will see a "Shark" with 400hp I believe

• Like Like x 1
  11. SlungLow

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't doubt it for a moment I heard Bill had something special up his sleeve. The man is a Magician isn't he !

12. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    News from the H.Q.
    Like anything we hear from the top, this is subject to change as the staff changes, the market changes, and focus changes, so take it for what it is, current thinking subject to change. It's also "unofficial," start to finish.

No factory turbo, or other accessories that compete with existing aftermarket products with a strong market share will be offered. Period.

The one exception is the factory roof (ironic, I know, I know...). A fair amount of money has been put into this project, and it's stalled due to weight limitations. The engineers were given a target number to stay under, and it's just not happening. That means weight has to be removed from other parts of the vehicle, and that's reportedly not going well, which is understandable because they stripped it before initial production. The roof was scheduled for 2016 release, then 2016.5, and now....when they can make it work.

The federal weight limit for motorcycle vehicle classification is a fact (according to H.Q.) and they do have special exception to exceed it. There is a definite order to not bump into the exception limit, and to do everything possible to stay w/in existing motorcycle and automobile rules.

Production far exceeds expectations (we knew that). They engineered a "kit car" (H.Q.'s term) and didn't expect to compete with actual street vehicles as in "having a market share." They know people are putting serious miles on them and the vehicle needs to be re-engineered, but they're just trying to meet demand. They run the hell out of them also, like seriously drive the shit out of them, and have a passion for the product. That's great, because it's their intention to re-design major components for reliability and longevity, and I mean that as in "they hope they will be able to some time in the future."

They are bringing as many parts as possible into the U.S. for manufacturing. They're actively sourcing stateside vendors for critical components, and are trying for all major components. I'm told this is a serious push, which should increase the quality greatly and the price only marginally, and they really want to keep things in the U.S. and have a U.S. built machine.

Finally, their job is to make cool shit that you want to buy, not enter into a long and heated discussion with every trail-banger and gearhead about why they should do things differently. They also don't want their competition to know what they're up to, and competition is fierce. (From the way their forums are run and the feedback we get I'd say this encompasses every aspect of the company.)

The following is a bit of cat-and-mouse, but it seems they know market share is critical. The reason showroom models get recall parts first appears to be because they want people to buy Slingshots instead of spending their money elsewhere, and they know people with money burning a hole in their pocket aren't going to be sitting on that fire waiting to buy a unit. They apparently want to expand ownership as fast as possible and retain interest in the product because they have a winning product.

---

Take that as you will, not every executive has the same opinions or motivations, none of that is "official," and it's only my understanding from the information gathered (meaning any/all of the above could be dead wrong). Nobody said, "keep this to yourself," the same as nobody said, "you should tell people this."

My take on it is all positive. While I don't know what the future holds nor which decisions will make it to market, I do feel really good about this product line after hearing this, and I take it to be honest, genuine information from people who care and are invested.

Did you know people are more likely to continue posting and helping others when you give positive feedback? ↓↓↓↓