Plse Step Inside if You've added an Amp to your Stock SL Head Unit

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by turbobuick, Feb 1, 2017.

1. turbobuick

turbobuick Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm still caught between a rock and a hard place.
    I've got the stock SL Stereo system except I swapped the 5.25 speaker with a coaxial at the footwell. Everything sounds good.
    Then i saw the new hoop speaker pods and got them loaded with Kicker, want to add more all around sound then to have only at my feet.
    1. Some say you can add an amp to the oem head unit, some say it can overheat and shutdown.
    2. Look at the Clarion CMS that is offered by vendors, but heard that the switches due to heat would become inop or sluggish.
    3. Looked at the JL MasterMedia but will not work with a back up camera (even though it has a video output)

I really don't want to throw $700+ just to add the new speaker pods and I'm not adding a subwoofer.
    Any other opinions what has worked with no problems?

2. Islandshot

Islandshot Member

Thanks Received:
    Get yourself a small four channel amp, 50 watts RMS per channel is fine, and a low level line converter, take your existing speaker wires and connect to the line converter, plug RCA cable into output of line converter and run to input on amp, connect your four speaker wires to amp and play music,its really as simple as that, only thing left to do is set the settings on your amp for best sound.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Get a Chinese amp off Amazon. The Crunch PX-1000, for example, is a mid-quality Chinese amp that takes speaker wires in (no converter needed) and won't over-heat due to being under-powerered (1000W RMS is not realistic). You can also get the the PX-1000 at Wal-Mart. :D

4. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    I have a Clarion XC2410 4 channel amp. I started gathering components to add sound to my 2015 Base model back in 2015 and am finally getting around to installing some insulation to reduce heat in the cubby area. Insulation can be installed thru the hole the radio display mounts in, but I found it relatively easy to remove the windshield, mirror mounts and the 8 T40 fasteners holding the dash in place (plus 2 push pins just under where the switches mount). I'm making a how to, but haven't finished it yet. I should have the template to make a heatwall/firewall ready by the end of the weekend and will post updates then. I've attached a PDF showing the disassembly. To make the file small enough to upload, I left out the pics of taking the windshield off as my MadStad has more screws than other shields.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. DKF Texas

DKF Texas Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. turbobuick

turbobuick Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  7. BKL

Thanks Received:
    Some folks place the amp under one of the seats. SSVWorks, IIRC, places it in the cubby area, but it then needs additional protection from engine compartment heat. I think some folks have even installed the amp in one of the storage compartments.
    A line converter is only needed if the amp doesn't have speaker-level inputs and the sound source doesn't have RCA outputs. The amp @DKF Texas has has both RCA and speaker-level inputs as shown here - Alpine MRV-F300. It also supports 4 speaker channels.
    The Crunch PX-1000.2 amp only supports 2 channels. If you have the Polaris radio and want to add the SSV pods for a total of 4 speakers, you'd be better off using a 4 channel amp with the 2 channel output from the Polaris unit fed to the new amp by connecting the Polaris Left channel to the amp's left Front and Left Rear inputs and the Polaris Right channel connected to the amp's Right Front and Right Rear inputs. Somebody posted a diagram of how to do this, but I think it might have been on the new site which can not be named. PM me if you don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DKF Texas

DKF Texas Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Under drivers side seat....raised it up off the floorboard about 1/4". @BKL answered the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. Purplezebra

Purplezebra Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    What Islandshot said above is all that is necessary to add the behind the seat pods and speakers. The problem is you are still going to have a overly bright poor sounding system as long as you use the factory head unit. I installed a JL 4 channel 280 watt amp in the storage compartment behind the driver. It's a good location considering the proximity to the battery. In addition to the behind the seat pods with JL C2 coaxial 6.5's, I also replaced the front factory pods and speakers with JL C2 6.5 component speakers. Although it was definitely better than the stock system, it was still excessively bright at a high enough volume to be able to hear at normal highway speeds even though I had both the treble and mid range set at -4. To fix the problem I installed a JVC KW-R925BTS head unit from Crutchfield electronics. It was on sale for $129.00. It has a USB in front and back, which was a must for me and a 13 band graphic equalizer. If your goal is to have a good sounding system at a reasonable price I would recommend my set-up. If you need a back-up camera then you will have to opt for a more expensive head unit. I never used my back-up camera, and even if I wanted to I couldn't see a damn thing out of it if was even remotely sunny. The JVC is not Marine grade so you would have to be careful not to drown it in water. The install kit from Slingmods has a cover to help with that. Don't know how well it works as I haven't had my SS in the rain. This set-up plays loud and clear. IMO it has plenty of bass, but if you wanted to add a sub keep in mind if you have a 2016 with the mini battery adding a second amp would probably require getting a full size battery.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Batshot

Batshot Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    So I did this and it works great. I used the Clarion XC241. It has speaker level inputs, and RCA, so options without needed a line converter.

Its small and sits fine behind the stock head unit. It runs to to 4 ssv pods, two in the sides of the frame and two under the roll hoops. Ran at 10 guage primary to the battery, and everything is still nice and waterproof.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. UYAWNT2

UYAWNT2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I put mine under a false floor in the storage compartment. Amp.jpg

12. BKL

Thanks Received:
    That's a great location for running relatively short power cables. Have you experienced any heat issues in that location?