Please take pity on an old guy with JRI question

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Suspension and Brakes' started by captcharles, Mar 14, 2017.

1. captcharles

captcharles Member

Thanks Received:
    I need to raise the front end. I have the JRI One-Way Adjustable Shocks. I contacted JRI and Slingmods and neither could tell me how to increase the ride height. One said "Well turn it one way spring adjuster and if it's the wrong way go the other". Really??

Anybody? Do I compress the spring to increase the height or loosen the spring?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave@ddmworks

Dave@ddmworks Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:

Compress the spring more, that will add preload to the shock and raise the front.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. captcharles

captcharles Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you Dave.

4. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking from the bottom it would be a clockwise turn, from the top it would be counter clockwise. Just treat the spanner nuts like the are nuts on a really big bolt.
    Might want to measure one side then match the other side for a level ride. Don't forget to raise the back as well.

LC

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mniron

Mniron Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Jack your SlingShot up to get all of the weight off the wheels to adjust, it will save you some blood.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    After you adjust let it back down on the wheels. Measure from the frame on both sides (same location)after settling the suspension (grab a rail or roll hoop and shake it). If you measure the shock only the height may not be even on both sides.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Be careful measuring this way... Some points on the SS frame are not square and you will not get the same ride height from left to right if you do it this way. I did it this way and I was off.

Measure first before taking off the stock shocks to confirm that your measuring points are square and are the same on each side. If is good to get a baseline before you start. You may find that you should pick a different point on the frame where you get the same measurement from left to right.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    "Please take pity on an old guy with JRI question"...

Brother, you don't have to feel bad or beg for pity here. ;-)

It's an honest question asked by an honest man. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Ulflyer

Ulflyer Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same shocks and want to raise my front about 1 Inch. However, I'm wondering how much that will affect the ride; I don't want to make it much stiffer. After you get yours done, how about posting the results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:

Unless you raise it so high that you top out the shock and start to compress the springs while at rest (don't do that) it will not effect your ride quality whatsoever ......no matter the height as long as the shock is free to travel the spring is supporting the same weight in the same way.... but make sure to keep enough travel that the shock does not top out with the slightest dip or rut...that will effect your ride ...

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. captcharles

captcharles Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's a reply I did get from JRI.

You will want to turn the spring adjuster in the clockwise direction to compress the spring. Compressing the spring will add more preload to the spring, thus increasing the ride height. The limit is the end of the threads on the body, however, you do not want to put that much preload in the spring. The more preload that is in the spring the more rigid the ride quality will become. So be careful about raising it too high, it might make the vehicle ride a little rougher.

12. Dave@ddmworks

Dave@ddmworks Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Another problem that you will run into if you put more pre-load on the springs, is you will not have as much rebound in the shock stroke. You want to make sure that you have a good amount of compression and rebound stroke on the shock so that the suspension can move up and down to absorb the irregularities in the road. As you start to put more pre-load on the spring, you will gain more compression stroke and lose rebound stroke.

Putting more preload on the spring will not change the spring rate of the spring though, the Eibach springs used in the JRI's are constant rate and the spring rate does not change the more it is compressed. The only way ride quality would be affected is because of the losing rebound stroke and skipping over irregularities or if you go the other way getting into the bump stops on compression.

Really if you need to make a substantial change in ride height, a spring change is simple and relatively cheap and will keep the shock stroke more even on compression and rebound.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• Winner Winner x 2