Pioneer 4800 and fsctory camera... very easy install

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by ImpalexSS, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ImpalexSS

ImpalexSS Member

Thanks Received:
    Picked up a pioneer avh4800 double din dvd. I followed the instructions from clarion mike on how to hook up a factory camera to aftermarket unit using a relay and adding a switch to view at anytime. Well after getting it all done, i found out none of that was needed. The pioneer 4800 has a setting to pick negative or postive for camera power. So you pick negative. And if you do the micro bypass which is $8 on amazon so that you can view while driving, it thinks the ebrake is on so in the sources you can select camera and watch your camera while driving. So all you do is cut the red and black wire on the plug labeled bu display, cut a section of rca video male cable end. Twist the red wire from slingshot to the center wire on the rca. Then connect the copper shielding on rca to the shielding and the black wire on bu display slingshot... and also add a piece of geound wire with that over to the ground on your radio. Figured i share my trial and error with you guys.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Supermoto292

Supermoto292 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Post a couple pics of what your stereo looks like

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mcclendons

mcclendons Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    What mounting kit did you use? Would love to see picks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ImpalexSS

ImpalexSS Member

Thanks Received:
    I am waiting for my mounting kit to show up in the mail this week still. I bought the $120 one from audio designs that requires ZERO cutting. I just didnt feel like cutting since ive already been spending time modding elsewhere. I just wanted easy pop in install.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ImpalexSS

ImpalexSS Member

Thanks Received:
    IMG_8294.JPG IMG_8291.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fla Tom

Fla Tom Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice looking radio not a bad price either. Does the mount help with the water issue,or just taking the risk and scraping when/if it gets wet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ImpalexSS

ImpalexSS Member

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fla Tom

Thanks Received:
    Dogon you... Now I am going to spend more $$. Can you put a link to the mini bipass on Amazon? Also did you install an antenna? Replacing /upgrading speakers? The big question did it eliminate the fm reception issues

9. ImpalexSS

ImpalexSS Member

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fla Tom

Thanks Received:
    Please post how the motorized screen does with the sun light(hoping it does the trick) you have me on the edge ( remember copying is flattery)

• Like Like x 1
  11. desant89

desant89 Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same radio, and same installation kit. The cover, which I feel does not secure as well as I expected I would just say makes it splash proof. When I received the install kit, one if the side pieces was not attached to the front. It is just glued on, and came off during shipping. I was not happy with how the sides just glue on. I glued it back, and installed it, but I know the glue came apart again. Since I ran a screw through the side after install, that does not bother me. It is an easy kit to install though.

As for the backup camera, I connected the backup wire to the negative trigger on the tail light, and selected negative trigger on the radio, and it would not work for me. I ended up using the relay to get it working. In addition, the radio itself has a button you can press to keep the rearview on so I did not need a switch if I want to drive while looking at camera view (although useless in sunlight). I also used the MicroBypass from Amazon below:

https://www.amazon.com/MicroBypass-...F8&qid=1475508598&sr=8-1&keywords=microbypass

As for the sun, it almost completely washes out the screen. I did buy that cover that hangs over the radio about two inches which slightly helps only at the top of the screen. However, it does give me something to easily rest my hand on to shade the screen so I can see it.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my setup. Yes, there were some issues, but in the end, I am happy with it. I expected the screen to wash out in the sun, and it is simple for me to put my hand over it to see it when necessary. I also used plenty of heat shield behind the radio to simulate a firewall to hopefully help protect the unit from heat a little bit . The radio was so inexpensive that if it lasts a few years, and then dies, I will just get another one.

12. desant89

desant89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately for me, the bottom of the screen only tilts UP, which makes it even worse in the sun.