Our turn!

Discussion in 'West and West Coast Slingshot Owners' started by wjfyfe, Apr 6, 2017.

1. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it is time to get the Grasshopper the 140 miles to the shop to get it's recall and warranty items accomplished, this is the weather forecast:

Friday 04/07 100% / 0.27 in
    Lows overnight in the low 40s.Windy. A steady rain in the morning, with showers continuing in the afternoon. Thunder possible. High 49F. Winds SSW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 100%.

At least there isn't any snow forecasted, what fun, eh! :D

Bill and Justina

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 2W2X1

2W2X1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    You're an animal! Safe travels. I know you're excited to get the recalls done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sooey2u

sooey2u Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    BJ.
    I would advise against driving any vehicle up I-5 today!
    My office is less than 3 miles from your destination dealership.
    Presently heavy rain and wind gusting to 45 mph. Its picking up 3/8" thk 60" x 120" sheets of stainless steel plate out of the laydown yard here at work (5:40 AM 4/7/17).
    Supposed to slack off some on late afternoon but not very much.
    Robert

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    My drive to work this morning was absolutely sloppy. Going through Everett was like driving through a lake. Barely see out of the windshield with the wipers on fast. And don't even get me started on those damn ruts in the lanes on I-5.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, a quickie synopsis of our delivering the Grsshopper to the dealer on Friday where I have to say that that was the most wet and challenging ride in the Grasshopper to date. Moderate to heavy rain all of the way causing the Grasshopper to get up on its tip-toes several times, the wind trying to blow me off the road, lots of unexpected traffic splishing and splashing along with one attention getting, holy seat pinching, 65 MPH sashay woop-ti-do about right in the middle of the ride after hitting a stream of several inches deep water crossing the road. WOW, when this lil critter finally decides to let loose, boy, it sure don't give any warning and do it right all of a sudden like!! Fortunately I got a lil forewarning when Justina hit it first with the Jetta and cleared a bit of the water out, that this was a rare time that the Interstate was clear of traffic around me, but, even so, that I was still able to keep the Grasshopper on the road without obtaining any permanent damage, (unlike at least a Suburban and a Corvette following...) I also feel that I need to give the SlingShot kudos for even when I was cross-ways the SlingShot remained firmly planted to the road, with no tipsiness being recognizable. Anyways, 2 1/2 hours later the Grasshopper delivered it's weary and nearly drown driver to the dealer safe and sound. I believe that I can say with all confidence that I found the edge of enjoy ability where taking out the Grasshopper in in-climate weather is concerned.

(An after-thought, I wonder if the outcome would also have been different if it wasn't for the traction control ? )

On a lighter note, at the dealer we found a 2016, and three 2017, Slingshots on the showroom floor, including an orange SLR. This is the first time in over a year that we have been back to the dealer so we were looking forward to checking out the new, ( and improved?), models. To keep it short and sweet, we really like the Sunset Red and maybe those seats in the SLR, (now those is way comfy), but otherwise we walked out quite content with keeping our 2015 just the way it is, after the recall and warranty items have been taken care of, that is!

Bill and Justina

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    What we would like to share at this time is that along with the recalls we wanted to get the left wing replaced due to cracking and a muffler shield installed. I had called Mid-Valley early this afternoon and asked about the status and was told that these parts had not yet arrived from Polaris, but then we were really surprised when they called back a couple of hours later to let us know that the Grasshopper was ready to be picked up. Now, had the parts arrived since I had called earlier? Nope! What Mid-Valley did was to remove the parts from one of their showroom Slingshots so we could pick up the Grasshopper this weekend. Now, is that great service or what?? :)

We'll report further after we pick up the Grasshopper on Saturday!

Bill and Justina

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    HOOOOOOOOOOOORAY, now that the Grasshopper has been cured of it's ailments we're off to pick it up and bring it back home, and guess what, rain in the forecast once again, (to be totally honest, we are really growing weary of all of this rain we have been experiencing here in the Pacific NorthWest and am ready for some extended sunshine !)

Anyways................It's going to be a fun ride, whatever the weather!!

Bill and Justina

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That darn Murphy. He makes ONE law and it has to be THAT one. :banghead:

9. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, we lucked out, Sling, and ran into only intermittent showers where I didn't even wear my rain gear! :)

Otherwise, results of the maintenance going with the good first:

The new swingarm looks just like the old swingarm, just a slightly different color. A surprise here is that the whine that we were attributing to the angle drive has now been diminished further by at least half, (meaning it is much quieter.)

The new fuel line just has a different connection, we were not having any problems with rubbing before.

The intermittent brake warning light appears to have been corrected and the brakes are more responsive now after the secondary bleeding.

The new steering bolts didn't change anything noticeably.

The combination muffler and exhaust manifold shields appear to significantly reduce the heat to the upper engine compartment.

Now the bad..................well, there is no bad, again Mid-Valley Tractor provided us with exceptional support and service! :)

Oh, and in further checking out of the showroom models, not much caught our eye with the exceptions that we do like that Sunset Red color and really like those SLR seats, (the velocity seats not so much.)

Well now the Grasshopper is in need of a good rub down, watch out spring and summer for the Grasshopper, and we, are once again itching and raring to go!! :D

Bill and Justina

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1