Ok, not fun taking radio out 3 times!

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by MRD, Nov 22, 2016.

1. MRD

MRD Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a Kenwood DDX773BH and installed it. Shortly there after I did a firmware upgrade and the radio died when it tried to restart.
    I sent it back to amazon and ordered a replacement and had the new radio in by the following weekend. It worked great for one day then the tilt mechanism has a glitch and will no longer return to the correct positions.

I have now ordered an upgraded radio, the DDX9773S and will be sending the second back to amazon for credit. Is Kenwood that bad or is it my bad luck?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    IMG_2355.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    DDX773BH: Known for Chinese quality (that being hit-or-oh Sh!t).

DDX9773S: Do you mean the DDX9703S? That one has tighter quality control. See the next item though.

DDX9903S: Their top-end series, which most people consider overpriced. Is it bad? No. Is it really awesome (as the premier Kenwood should be)? No. It'll warn you to be safe and lock you out until you agree, every time you start the vehicle. The interface is huge in the non-text areas and the text is hard to read. Basic things like folder name display haven't been updated and are clunky (folder switching is marginally better than the Polaris unit). I'm seriously considering Pioneer if Kenwood (my favorite) doesn't clean up its act.

Not going to say they're "bad" units, just they're sure not what I expected, not from Kenwood. It's like the Koreans took over and made everything "Kringlish." It just makes me cringe. And again, I normally love Kenwood. Hopefully your experience is better!

XEmo4.jpg
    Kenwood: It used to be sexy. But not now.

4. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I was planning on putting a DDX9703S in the Titanium this winter (Kenwood's top unit without navigation). Thank you @MRD for bringing up this concern, or I'd have never looked for a replacement, since I'm a big Kenwood fan. Or I was. Probably will be again in 5 years, but right now I'm planning on the Pioneer AVH-4200NE, which is $100 less and a reliable/solid build, has better FM reception, and reportedly a better EQ & Sound.

Kenwood DDX9703S vs Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

vs.png

5. UYAWNT2

UYAWNT2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I just installed the 4200. So far I'm impressed with all the features!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. WraithSS

WraithSS Hold my beer and watch this!

Thanks Received:
    Pioneer for the win!
    20160605_164824.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jonyb

jonyb Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I quit selling Kenwood in my shop a couple years ago. Bluetooth was quirky and never worked like it should.

• Informative Informative x 1