[May 7, 2017] Lap of America (Deltona)

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Events' started by gpcustoms, Apr 14, 2016.

Lap of America
Start Date: May 7, 2017 01:00 AM
End Date: May 7, 2017 07:00 AM
Time Zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT

791 Cloverleaf Blvd
Deltona 32725

Posted By: gpcustoms

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. gpcustoms

gpcustoms Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Hello friends.
    A few months ago a friend who is losing his battle to keep his eyesight asked me to help him create a bucket list of sights to remember. Unfortunately his schedule had changed and he was no longer able to travel these destinations I had proposed and it made me ponder who else shared just such a dilemma of a bucket list of never realized sights? And so this adventure began.
    I am a retired guy with a wonderful supporting family who simply decided to share an experience this summer to destinations we have all seen and experienced as children with our families. Some of our brightest stars however are left battling at home and in hospital beds.
    So with a new clear conviction I am now raising funds to support St. Jude's lifesaving mission of finding cures and saving children, and I will need your support to help me exceed my fundraising goal! I truly believe that together, one dollar and one mile at a time we can help St. Jude change the world.
    This summer I will be traveling around America in an unusual open air 3 wheeled vehicle called a Polaris Slingshot. I coined it the Lap of America if you will, close to 12000 miles driving through America’s most beautiful National Forests along the way and taking some photos for the children who couldn’t be there. Sharing some smiles along the road.
    Leaving from sunny Florida in August I will head out west to Carlsbad Caverns, The petrified Forest, Grand Canyon on the way to see friends and supporters in Southern California. Then north through Yosemite and Tahoe National forests and across towards the state I was born in, Wyoming where I will travel by the Grand Teton on my way to Yellowstone park. A short jump to Devils Tower and Mount Rushmore before heading down to Colorado and another childhood home in the San Juan Mountains and Durango for another meet and greet with family and supporters. Then lots of photos around the corner at Mesa Verde and back up through the passes to enjoy the view from Pikes Peak before heading towards Oklahoma and a visit to a special Airforce serviceman and nephew for some armed service smiles we will share at Tinker Field. Then Northeast to the Indianapolis Speedway on the way to the Buckeye state and quite Amish roads near Youngstown Ohio for some famous fried chicken from another longtime supporter and friend of St. Jude. Then it’s off to the mountains and forests of the Allegheny and Monongahela National Forests before making my way down to the Smoky Mountains and final push into Memphis Tennessee to see the staff and children at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

How your donation helps:
    • Thanks to donors like you, no family ever pays St. Jude for anything.
    • St. Jude will continue to improve the treatment of childhood cancer and other deadly diseases through its groundbreaking research.
    Thank you very much,
    Mark Brown (386) 804-4403 gpcustom@bellsouth.net
    St Jude Donation Link: events.stjude.org/lapofamerica
    Follow on FB: Mark Brown or Lap of America (community) Twitter/ Instagram: markbrown1776

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    @gpcustoms -- hoping that this is very successful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Okay,...:coldfeet:
    Let me define the title to this event.:nailbiting:
    Its called St. Jude Rides( as in goes for a ride in the Smokies a/k/a public place).
    I represent St. Jude as an official charity organizer that intends to see some friendly faces and share some public roads
    .:woot:

(We are not the Official Charity of Slingshots in the Smokies)

My offer is only to share public roads and some smiles
    . I am not organizing mass rides or selling spots so please see Ivor and his posts for official rides as part of his Slingshot in the Smokies if thats what your looking for.:nailbiting:
    If there is any confusion then lets end the misconception here and now:cigar: This is for free minded and spirited like minded friends to go for some rides together because maybe you think my idea of this fund raiser is a cool idea and you just want to ride with me and hang out, nothing else.
    I will have some cool St. Jude stuff and be sharing some glow in the dark arm bands with you but there is no price for admission because there is no admission and if your broke I will give you a cool arm band for just letting me take a picture and post if for the kids that can't be here:snaphappy::snaphappy:

Now I have been made you aware of another charity that is going on I would expect the same generosity be lent towards that in keeping with your kind efforts you have shown us. Its not my place to post that cause but rest assured its every bit as deserving so try and remember that when you have a few extra dollars collecting dust in those wallets.:woot:

Try not to read too much into this post. I am a retired guy that has the time to do this sort of thing but not such a heal that I want to step on any ones feet while I am in town and create some bad feelings or Karma between friends.:singing:

After all. Any day above ground is a good one:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. 4Nines

4Nines Slingshot Supporter Staff Member Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for supporting this great cause! Donation made :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Thank you young man. You guys together have done over $3000 as a band of brothers and sisters;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Just in case there are any interest in a long twisty 90 mile run. This leg I am especially pleased with every time I take the Coronado trail.
    Just make sure you have fuel on these switch backs!
    [​IMG]

After a stop over in Malibu its back North through Yosemite and the Tahoe Forests on the hunt for some Wyoming big sky country.
    [​IMG]
    The fun part is hidden away between Forest Road and Meadowlark for switchback heaven in route to Devils Tower
    [​IMG]
    A short jump from the tower to Mount Rushmore and back down south to Colorado's Pikes Peak and the passes around San Isabel heading into the heart of Laplata County and my childhood home of Durango for some much needed family time and the promised trip to Mesa Verde National park just west of town and the loop http://*****************/wcf/images/smilies/wink.png
    [​IMG]
    Make sure and wave if you see a dirty silver SS going the other way with grass hoppers all over her!!
    Will share the surprise at Tinker Air force base as soon as we know what they have in mind:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Someone asked me whats going on in Ca on the way towards Oregon.
    Glad you asked that. Not the full Ca route but two I put on the must list when this was ment as a gift. I am soooo eager you can't imagine:smuggrin:
    First is the Sequoia run with Yosemite afterwards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Should be in the area anywhere between the 20th to the 26th depending on any rides I become aware of. A place to clean the SS and lay on a cement floor is also welcome:borg:

8. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Hers my idea that has the wife going crazy(more than before). If we have a owner in Rock Springs I will zig south once I get into Wyoming for a good dinner and social coffee and then head back to where I left off at the Teton and head off from there. Its been at least 5 years since I have been on these roads so I am thinking or something other than tee-shirts and shorts.:hungry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking of growing that Forest Gump beard and finding a red base ball hat.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  9. 4Nines

4Nines Slingshot Supporter Staff Member Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    This is truly an epic Slingshot trip! You will have memories that will last a life time when you get home from this :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    Thanks gang for your efforts and contributions. Our bags just came in from the vendor and we will start adding shirts and arm bands as soon as the print shop is done. Not bad for a garage operation:punch:
    Make sure that you look at the name board at the Event site link and give them a pat on the back:joyful:
    Events for St. Jude
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    A few more tid bits for some interesting routes along the way. The problem is I keep adding extra off the beaten path roads. Never was a good lemming:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Will the fun ever stop:hungry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. gpcustoms

Thanks Received:
    While I am on the subject of epic stuff I would like to extend my invitation to any fellow tricycle owners to drive the Coronado trail with me when I leave Carlsbad Caverns and head into AZ.
    I have driven it many times in the past and its still a motorcycle favorite. Technical drive and a must for paying attention but scenic enough to stop along the 118miles and take a few snap shots
    [​IMG]

I am estimating an arrival time or departure from the Caverns around the 17th to 18th of August.
    For some of you pondering the road and what its all about I include the following http://*****************/wcf/images/smilies/00005129.gif
    The Coronado Trail

The way the road is described is by starting at Clifton, AZ and ending in Eagar, AZ. Of course you can reverse the direction if you like. Just look for Clifton and Eagar on the New Mexico/Arizona border which are about 200 miles east of Phoenix, AZ and take AZ Road 191.
    Scenery [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This road brings you to a whole new world in Arizona. Its located in the central eastern part of Arizona and parallels the New Mexico border. To find it on the map, just look for the towns of Eagar (home of the largest stand of pine trees in the US) and Clifton along the Arizona/New Mexico border. The towns are connected by Arizona road 191. You'll start out in a desert environment and end up passing through an Alpine paradise. It is LOADED with twists and turns and even though its in a remote section of Arizona, its well worth the trip. The road starts out in a desert setting near Clifton, AZ ... an old copper mining town. From there heading north and up in elevation, you can stop at a scenic overlook that will give you a look at the world's largest open-pit copper mines. The road will then take you through a canyon as the road hugs some cliffs and continues to dramatically climb (BE CAREFUL). What makes this road so amazing is the big change in scenery you'll see between the start and the finish. The diversity of landscape is due to the change in elevation you'll cover - a 5,000 feet difference from start to finish. You'll start out seeing some nice desert landscapes and then move on into some interesting canyons. You'll see the world's largest open pit copper mine and pass by one of the highest peaks in AZ - Escudilla Mountain (10,800 ft). You'll also see huge pine and aspen forests and some tranquil little meadows as you pass next to the White Mountains and through the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest. "This was taken at Hannagan Meadow."

The ride starts at 7500 feet elevation and drops to the 2500 foot level(Reverse path of travel). The drive is full of wildlife, hairpin turns, shear cliffs, dramatic views and finishes with a drive through an open pit copper mine. There is so much metal in the earth the mountains are alive with rust colors making the scenic views some of the best blending White clouds, Blue skies, and the green pines. There are no services between the two cities so fill up in Alpine. Traveling south gives the best views as you are looking out over the Valley. Expect to be traveling for nearly 4 hours without stops as there are nearly 1200 hairpin turns of no more the 15 MPH on this incredible drive.
    Road Quality [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A true 5-star road for motorcycles. They say there are 427 curves on AZ Road 191 between Clifton and Alpine. The road also has some breathtaking ascents along the way that will keep your engine revving. The most dramatic elevation changes are near the town of Morenci, AZ. In fact, the speed of traffic will slow down to just 10 MPH at certain points!

Hairpin turns, no shoulders and occasional dirt washed across roads from any recent storms that may have passed through.
    Roadside Amenities [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    There is a lot of camping and hiking trails along the way. You can also take a half mile hike to the Rose Peak watch tower and get a great view of the surrounding landscape. There are many pullouts and look out points that you'll want to have a camera ready for. DON'T MISS the Mogollon Rim.

Pine is a small town with a view small restaurants and you will pass through Hannigan Meadows that is a great picnic spot. The town of Morenci has a strong Hispanic flavor and has many wonderful restaurants from this ethnicity. It is also Copper mining town and arrangements can be made for a tour of the mine. There is not much along the way except tremendous views of BIG COUNTRY.
    This is not a ride for a beginner and do not allow the scenery to take your eyes off the road. Make many stops along the way to take pictures and to take in the sights.
    :smuggrin:

• Winner Winner x 1