Is the Clarion CMS5 worth swapping out SL OEM UNIT

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by turbobuick, Jan 30, 2017.

1. turbobuick

turbobuick Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I'M running stock pods (6 speakers, except I swapped the 5.25 with a coaxial) and will be adding the behind the seat hoop pods (kickers). No subwoofer.
    Will this work good or will i be better off sticking with the OEM head unit and adding a Amp with the same speaker set up as mentioned above?

2. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The stock head unit doesn't have enough power to drive additional speakers so you'll need an external amplifier. Forewarning, the factory unit is tuned internally for the stock speaker pods, so even if you add more speakers it will sound like it does now, just louder.

On the Clarion CMS5 you ask about in the title, the Rated Power Output is 18 Watts per channel x 4 channels at 1% Total Harmonic Distortion using a 1 kHz test sound with 14.4V power source into the unit. It'll power the stock pods and some low-power drivers in the SSV hoop pods, but it won't reasonably power the Kickers which are rated at 65 Watts. You could try it and see how it goes by pressing/releasing the volume knob and setting the fader to send more power to the rear (or less power to the front is really what it amounts to), but it probably won't sound that good--still, it doesn't hurt to try and it might be all you're looking for, and if it is good you don't have to bother with running power for an amp and all of that...

By the way, the Claion unit has much better sound output than the stock head unit and should sound much cleaner (less noise) and have much fuller, richer sound. This is most noticeable with good speakers and an external amp. I happen to like the stock unit, it does a good job for what it is (overpriced). It plays Bluetooth music without disconnecting, USB is a little funky to manage the folders but it works, and sometimes it even gets radio stations if you're in a big city (or the parking lot of the radio station). It can be made to sound better by replacing the stock drivers with Pioneer drivers.

Hope this helps!
    Oh, smack me, it's been so long! ↓↓↓↓

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    What? :wtf: HH likes something stock about the SS? :confused: And it's the radio? :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Slingin

Slingin Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    If your going to swap then do the double DIN kit from underground autostylin with a double DIN radio.

Costs a bit more but the sound quality is better, response time of the headinit is faster and screen size are worth it.

5. 2SierraRomeo

2SierraRomeo Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I tell you, I absolutely despise my Clarion CMS5. It is so slow to respond to any input, to the point of being barely unusable. 45 second boot-up time. A lot of good it did hooking up the rear camera, because I’m a minute down the road by the time it comes on. Forget trying to switch between stations or sources… it is full retard slow. It’s not just a matter of waiting for it to respond, it’s also trying to confirm where it finally lands long after you’ve turned the dial, which can be a dangerous situation when driving, especially when good freaking luck seeing it unless it’s high noon in China. Best you can do is just leave it on USB and just let it play the songs sequentially you have on there, but so many times, it just decides it can’t read the same USB thumb drive I leave installed, so I’m left without music. Except I stop and slowly go through the process of tuning into a radio station… and twice now it had locked up after getting off the highway at high volume, and I pull up to a light with some commercial blaring and not able to change the station, turn down the volume and won’t even let me turn it off, unless I turn the entire car off. And guess what else will happen… the big dial, you know, the only way to control the turd, that will stop working at all, even though you hardly touch the thing except for volume (yes, this is very common for this model). Then, you’ll get on Clarion’s website and also try to talk to a human Clarion representative and learn that it’s all a run-around to make it impossible to submit a warranty claim. My only savings grace was after two days of the Clarion jerkfest, finally contacting the very good people at SlingMods.com, who was very familiar with the problem and graciously sent me an extra display. But when it happens again, it will be out of that short little warranty, and I’ll have a worthless dead stereo I’ll have to extricate from my Slingshot and throw in the nearest landfill.

How did this garbage ever pass any kind of quality or user testing before making it to market? It is so bad, that I consider it criminal for Clarion to pass this off as a viable product. They have to have some idea how bad this is… and I KNOW they certainly do after trying to get them to honor their warranty. The only thing I dislike about making this post is that I don’t want to negatively affect SlingMods' sales, because I have bought a lot from them, and you just couldn’t ask for a better company to deal with. But even they said they pretty much just leaving it on the USB setting, because of the slow response time. We need a better water-resistant option. It’s 2017; we’ve got a futuristic vehicle and this Clarion wouldn’t have been acceptable 20 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. toyz4me

toyz4me Member

Thanks Received:

For us novices, what is a double DIN and are there recommended model numbers that are marine rated?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Slingin

Thanks Received:
    The underground kit has a faceplate that will help with splashing water from the cockpit side. But I would not call it waterproof as water can still enter from the engine bay.

Double DIN is a size. Headunits that typically have a screen. Check out the Kenwood 9903s. Not marine but inside the underground dash kit it will better protected than the SlingMods kit. Not waterproof.........

• Like Like x 1
  8. turbobuick

turbobuick Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Well,
    I feel now I have to wait for a better solution, i just want to get these loaded hoop pods ( w/kicker) installed to add to pre-existing SL set up (thought all i needed was an amp) , than found out the Clarion had some issues, so i thought i would go with the JL MediaMaster 100s but found out it won't work with back up camera even though it has a video output jack.
    Now I'm confused and dont want to nake this an expensive proposition.
    Just want to add these nice speaker pods for better well rounded speaker set up (no subwoofer)
    Thoughts and or proven ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slingin

Thanks Received:
    - SlingMods factory camera harness
    - Double DIN of your choice
    - Underground autostylin double DIN install kit

10. WI_Hedgehog

WI_Hedgehog Winner of the "Most Factory Defects" award Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That's when your wife feeds you dinner twice in one evening. Almost any model is marine rated, they're not exactly picky, although tattooed scores higher.
    biker.jpg

Yeah, that JL unit is nice, but spendy, and no reverse camera. But it's nice.