How critical is hub size?

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Wheels and Tires' started by BKL, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:48 PM.

1. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    I've read some comments saying the Slingshot's front wheels are hubless, relying on the conical lug nuts to center the wheels. The rears are described as somewhere around 66.1 or 67.1. I must admit I've never given much thought to hub size.
    How critical is hub size as far as finding replacement aftermarket wheels? Inquiring minds want to know (and me too)!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Solow

Solow Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    As far as using hub centric rings, I do on mine. I did a fair amount of research on whether or not they were necessary. It's a mixed bag of opinions. So swear by them, some against. Personally, I don't feel that they are necessary. The bolt pattern will keep your wheels where they need to be without them. I purchased mine, aftermarket wheels, about a month after I got my Sling. And next month, that will be two years ago. Anyway, at the time, everyone was going on about needing hubcentric rings so I got them. And as long as I already have them, I will continue to use them, but if I were to do it over again, I'd pass. Just my two cents.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WraithSS

WraithSS Hold my beer and watch this! Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Front and back both have hubs. Front being slightly smaller than the rear at 66.1.
    The only time it would be critical is if your new wheels have a smaller diameter bore than the hub on your vehicle, they won't fit. That or if you have flat face lugs or studs. If you are using conical bases that match your wheels you will be completely fine.

4. BKL

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I found a source for hub centric rings, but I think they were around $90 or so. I always felt the conical lug nuts most vehicles use were the primary means of centering a wheel on the hub.

5. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    If your vehicle is hub centric from the factory then stay with hub centric, if it was lug centric stay with lug centric. It would be unwise in my opinion to mix the two, you might introduce opposing forces using both. The centering ring may be trying to force the tapered lug off of its centering job. Could tend to have loose nuts.

Now aftermarket wheels that have flat bosses for the lug nut may require centering rings, they may be supplied by the wheel manufacturer. In the case of my Jetta when I went to aftermarket wheels the lug bolts changed and the centering ring was supplied (and used) by the manufacturer.

LC

6. Supermoto292

Supermoto292 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    $90 is way to much for hubcentric rings. Hubcentric rings that I put on mine are aluminum and only cost like $10 off Amazon and both the front and the rear both take the same size hubcentric rings me personally I put them on all my vehicles

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BKL

Thanks Received:
    The $90 cost I referenced above was based on the assumption that if I mounted a front wheel on the rear, I would need a 66.1 to 67.1 hub centric adapter. Thinking about it a little more, even if made from aluminum, that would probably be a fragile adapter.

8. Supermoto292

Supermoto292 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    My base wheels are the same bore size front and back 66.1. My hubcentric ring are 66.1 front and back perfect fit nice and tight with my aftermarket wheels. Trust me 67.1 are to big and sloppy trust me I bought those first.

9. BKL

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info.

10. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I ordered super early and purchased 67.1 because of bad info. They have been on my Niche wheels since I installed them in early 2015.

I notice no difference in vibration in my base stock wheels and the aftermarket setup.

Hub centric rings are cheap off of Amazon and are worth buying for peace of mind.