Fuel Economy??

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Engine and Performance' started by gamellott, May 18, 2017.

1. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't find if this topic was covered previously, so here it goes....

Right now, driving it to and from work, like a pooch, I've been getting 28 MPG with no modifications. I Suspect that if I change out the exhaust with a header, at a minimum, and get a cold air intake, that it'll get better fuel economy as well as performance if I continue to drive it like a pooch.

I'm wondering if someone has done these mods and gotten better fuel economy and what are they getting now?

Aside from the wind resistance on the highway increasing as you go faster, I don't really understand why this thing isn't getting something in 30+MPG.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Guess I wasn't using the right key words :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Franchi

Franchi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering the license plate on my other car is "9 MPG LOL" I'd be happier then hell to get 28 to 30 mpg for a fun cruiser. lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    Ewww... I don't think I would want to spend that much on gas :p

No, Really, I've looked and I really can't find a direct answer. I did see where someone was getting mid 30s with a Cat Delete and non-ethanol gas.Non-ethanol gas is kinda rare in the PNW where I live.

If your compact, non-hybrid econobox is getting 30 some miles per gallon, one would assume that this could do better as well. After all, it's probably lighter than your average econobox with a bigger engine. Maybe I need to figure out what I'm getting using the el-manual way as opposed to using the built in computer, but I imagine it's pretty close.

What I'm really looking to find out is if these mods increase the fuel economy. If so, by how much. I see where they claim more horsepower, but nothing along the lines of X better fuel economy on ethanol gas. Not everyone is about speed, but I do punch it past the fartwaffle that's doing 10 under the speed limit.Cruising at low speeds has it's merits, but I have my limits :p I did like the comment someone put out there that it's a hybrid, it burns rubber and gas ;) When there isn't snow or it's raining sideways, this is my daily driver unless I have a plan to to pick up lumber or something that I just can't carry in the Slingshot. That being said, fuel economy is a consideration. And NO, I didn't get it for it's fuel economy. I just think it can do better. I'm just looking for answers on if I do X, I can expect Y in regards to fuel economy.

I did see the one on a cold air intake that claims 2-3 mpg better fuel economy, if my memory is right. That checks that box.

I also saw the one on the spark plugs. I'm gonna have to take that with a grain of salt. I don't understand how a different spark delivery would increase performance or fuel economy. Electricity follows the shortest path to ground.... Just sayin :p Now, if they're looking to give them out for testimonials, I would give it a shot and just maybe buy them if it turns out to be a No-Shitter ;) But like the other people that commented on that topic, I'm a skeptic if there is any truth to it.

Now how about the header and exhaust?

6. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Initially, I got just under 30 mpg, but as I took advantage of the fun factor, my mileage dropped to around 28 mpg. Adding a Twist Dynamics Top and Hahn CAI I ended up getting around 26.5 mpg for the last 20,000 miles or so. Unfortunately, adding a turbo is going to lower my mpg even more!:D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting about 30mpg, but if I'm 45mph or less, I use 4th or even 3rd gear. I'm sure my mileage would be much better if I were to cruise in 5th at highway speed more often.

Fully stock as released from the factory.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, now that's some good information to see, but not exactly what I expected. Sounds like your driving habits changed and your economy went down. I initially started out around 25mpg, driving it like I stole it. I got a twist dynamics top as well, driving habits falling a bit more conservative because I spent the first 6 months driving it like I stole it, got the top, slowed down, enjoying the ride a bit more, and getting a little better fuel economy.

Good info, but it makes me wonder if the CAI does anything for increasing the fuel economy now???

9. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    If I can maintain a consistent 45 mph or so in 5th gear, my mileage pops up into the low-to-mid 30s, but I just can't do that very long unless i'm forced to by traffic.

10. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    Purrrrfect ;) Thank You for your input. I see that from time to time with my rig. Hills, stops, and Cold weather warm up driving (Choke) usually knock it right back down. Since the weather has gotten warmer (above 30 something in the morning), my fuel economy has gotten better. It usually takes a couple of miles to get warmed up to come off of the choke setting.

11. EjFord

EjFord Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    If I have to worry about gas mileage I'm going to leave it parked and I park in for more than a couple of weeks in the winter in Northern
    Indiana I'm going to sell it. To much FUN to worry about GAS...

12. SlingLow

SlingLow Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello @gamellott I'm the one that said it's a hybrid. I Bought my Sling with the cold air intake installed, then put on the Alpha header and side-exit exhaust. I'm getting a steady 22.5 mpg for 5 tanks in a row calculatied by usage. The computer is within .3 mpg each time. I didn't get any miles in without the exhaust so I don't know if I would be getting 28 without it. I'm guessing not.

I should have bought a Yugo!

• Like Like x 1