Firestone tire

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Wheels and Tires' started by Maverick5990, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Maverick5990

Maverick5990 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never been a big fan of Firestone's, but this one seems to get great reviews for what I am looking for in my next set of tires. Opinions?

FIREHAWK INDY 500

2. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a good price, but I would never install an asymmetrical tire on the rear of the Slingshot.

3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    They are cheap. The reviews aren't bad. Tire Rack shows them as a closeout model.

Consumer Reviews

4. Maverick5990

Thanks Received:
    It's not that one, this is the one.
    Using Cookies

5. Maverick5990

Thanks Received:
  6. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    I went with these and have about 1500 miles on them...Very impressed even after the turbo install:

FIREHAWK WIDE OVAL INDY 500

They have a narrower footprint than the factory Kendas but the traction is much better.

7. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, why? I just returned from the tire shop where there is a very limited selection with symmetrical tires, so, I am not being argumentative, just wondering what would happen if one did install an asymmetrical tire on the rear of the SlingShot?

Bill

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    I had a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30ZR18 tire on the rear of my Slingshot. It's an asymmetrical tire and I didn't notice any problems other than it only lasting 5000 miles or so. Doing a little research, the HTR Z III needs to be mounted so that the side of the tire labeled Outside is in that position. This means the tires have the same tread pattern on the outside for both the left and right sides of the vehicle, so any traction variation due to the asymmetrical pattern would tend to cancel out. With a single rear tire, logic says the asymmetrical tread pattern might cause it to favor one side or the other of the tire in terms of traction, most likely in turns, but, like I wrote, I never noticed any handling anomalies.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Since we are talking about tires, those that have a mileage warranty, (50,000 miles for example), has anybody had issues with the tire dealer not honoring this warranty with the rear tire on the SlingShot?

Bill

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. BKL

BKL Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    I can't speak for all tire manufacturers or dealers, but I am under the impression that tires with a tread warranty, when used on vehicles where the tires can't be rotated, usually are only covered for half the normally warranted mileage. I think I heard this at Discount Tire, but I can't remember for sure.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  11. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    BUMP

OK, getting closer to having to purchase a new rear tire and thought I would give it one last opportunity for someone to share their reasoning why we should not go with a high-end asymmetrical all season tire?

Thanks,

Bill

12. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had expert opinions or data to show you, but I wouldn't run anything but a symmetric or directional tire on the rear of the SS. To me, it seems like a better option and there are several to choose from.

[​IMG]

Asymmetric Tread Patterns
    An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.

As you can see from above, an asymmetrical tire really isn't designed or made for a vehicle that has one rear or front tire. How do you determine which way is the "outside" on the rear of an SS? A directional tire tread pattern is much more suited for a vehicle with 1 rear wheel. I would guess there is some science on how it also performs better, because all of the bike trike companies use this type of tire.

At the end of the day, do what you want. I doubt it will make a huge difference, but I highly doubt there would be any reason to NOT GO with a directional tire.

@Discount TIre - Can you please chime in?

Or any other people from the rubber industry? (not you @Tripod) ;)

• Like Like x 2