Drive Belt Alignment and Tension Adjustments Explained

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Photos/Videos' started by Samowens44, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    To all Slings owners, a rear tire is a possible need about now. The Polaris Dealers do not all have the required tire changers to perform the tire change without possible scratches to your rim. I feel you should question who is going to change your tire that they have have the proper tire changer for the stock rim, if you have a special oversize, you are on your own. You should also question that they have done it before and can complete the job with no damage to your rim. Had I ask these questions I would have found that my dealers tire changing equipment was at the limits of the tire. We need to all be aware of this and let them know, "you scratch my rim, you have bought me a new one with all the labor and charges at your cost. Now, you have the knowledge to make a great decision, I wished someone would have told me. This is not a burning torch, witch hunt to destroy our dealers, they just need to understand, we have a special part of us in our Slingshots. Now you may want to explore Tire places that is their only business and work with specialty rims. We need special attention to our rims as they have a finish that can be easily scratch by improper tools or technique. Now let's hear some success stories of tire change experiences.

2. Samowens44

Thanks Received:
    Thank you Tom n carol for that info, we need only one torque wrench to complete our Belt Adjustments. This is what our Forum is all about, Answers to questions about our slingshots. This is a choice I will explore and when I get mine, a Total Belt Alignment and Tension Adjustment Video will be available soon. This is the time to do it as the recall will mess up all adjustments anyway. Looking forward to showing this to all the How- To folks that like to understand as I do. Adjustments of this nature are not for the first time kind of folks, understanding tools, safe operation of work conditions, proper setup of vehicle with wheel chocks and the many other requirement that ensure you do not get hurt. Just understanding the adjustments will be enough for most folks. Just watch if you do not know the difference between 3/8 or 1/2 drive.

3. Samowens44

Thanks Received:
    Mine is on the way, thanks, that is the perfect range of torque settings for our Slingshot needs with the wheel and belt adjustments. Here is my order info for any that want to see. The one that is at Lowes, in another reply is missing the 20 ft lbs setting needed to make the adjustments for the tension. We need this one for sure.

Torque Wrench.jpg

4. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Sam, if your dealer damaged your rim he should step up for a replacement rim. Additionally, if your dealer did the swing arm replacement/recall and did not have the belt and alignment set properly I would return it to him for correction. If he fails either, replacement of the damaged rim, and proper adjustments of replaced swing arm, I would find another dealer. Even if I had to go past him to a better dealer I would do that before putting up with substandard work and business practices.

As for the proper tire changing equiptment, most any chain tire store has the tools that are made for custom wheel/rims.

LC

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Supermoto292

Supermoto292 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    this is why I am not letting a dealer touch my sling. it will have more issues after words. when my back bearings finally go bad I will change them out my self for new ones and leave my original swing arm on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, when somebody finally gets around to doing a video of adjusting the belt tension, that will be great to be able to "see" how it is done and will help many folks, tips and tricks are always welcome and nice to share. But really, c'mon now, this is really basic mechanic 101 stuff when you get right down to it, well within the capabilities of any average Jo or Joe using a bit of common sense, you do not need to be a super mechanic. :rolleyes:

Bill

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I would strongly recommend nobody attempt to have an SS tire removed at a motorcycle shop. The SS wheels/tires are car tires, they are not motorcycle rims and there is a huge difference in the equipment used - in fact I am really surprised the motorcycle dealer even attempted it.

Any Discount Tire is equipped to properly mount/dismount these types of wheels and I have never once had them scratch any of my rims - many much more expensive than what is on the SS.

I'll ask my dealer when mine is in for warranty work but I'd bet $$ my tech will say they take them to Discount when need be.

• Agree Agree x 1