Drive Belt Alignment and Tension Adjustments Explained

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Photos/Videos' started by Samowens44, Dec 21, 2016.

1. TravAZ

TravAZ Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Good info in here! Nice work guys.

As you mentioned, I think there will be a lot of people that will need to re-adjust their belts after the swap out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VIPNiSS

VIPNiSS Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    someone should do a how to video!

• Like Like x 1
  3. George James

George James Active Member

Thanks Received:
    If they can't adjust the belts properly I have doubts about their ability to install the swing arms properly.

4. Noel Hughes

Noel Hughes Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Numbers on the belts read left the right on the top
    To make sure it's on right.
    No need to mark the belt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Samowens44

Samowens44 Sam, Gail & Snazzy

Thanks Received:
    @VIPNiSS, I will be making a how to video of both alignment and tension. I have to purchase a couple of Torque Wrenches. The torquing requirements range from 20 ft-lbs to 195 ft-lbs. so far what I have found is that most go up to 150 ft lbs then they go from about 40 to 300 ft lbs. I have a friend that has the ranges I need. Folks, I would not do this without the proper tools and meeting the proper requirements for the adjustments. Some of our power plants can deliver 360 hp to the rear wheel, Torquing is very important for all to work the way it was built. Same thing goes with your rims if you need to remove and reinstall. Knowledge is great, but has to be used with common sense. Be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Samowens44

Thanks Received:
    At this point, we should all know what the alignments look like before we take our slings in for the recall. We can then check the adjustments when we get it finished. I would look at it before you leave and if not correct, point it out and discuss the adjustments. The adjustments could possible change due to the recall, I do not know at this time. So far the documents I have seen call for the belt alignment to be close to the inboard side of the rear pulley, but not touching. The tension should be 0.63 inch deflection. It will be hard to check the torque settings, but I am going to mention to the service manager that I expect the torque settings on all bolts to be correct. This is a major part of our Slingshot, the pivot bolt of our power delivery system is going to be affected. Don't be afraid to discuss the alignment, tension, and torquing requirements with the Service Manager. This will insure, they know you are knowledgeable and they will be more alert to all their roles in the Recall. Good Luck!

7. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    As with many owners, we will most definitely give our SlingShot a cursory going over after it is returned to us, though, if we did not trust our dealer to do the job properly we would not be taking it into them in the first place! Personally, if a dealer had a customer come in right off the git go dictating to them how they are supposed to do their job, I would fully understand if they would be inclined to recommend to the owner that maybe they should take their vehicle somewhere else.

Bill and Justina

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MISTERZ06

MISTERZ06 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Samowens44

Thanks Received:
    There is a valuable saying by one of our great presidents about trusting. You probably all know him, it is the perfect information to go by.

"Trust, but Verify"! I gave no thought about a rear tire change at a dealer I trusted. Now Snazzy has been violated with rim scratches that no polishing can removed. Folks, trust is something that is EARNED! You can not buys it, trade it, or sell it. Check your belt adjustment after the Recall Change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go right back to the dealer and have him order a new wheel. If they don't do it than quit going to them and report it to Polaris.

LC

• Like Like x 1