Double Din Install

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by UYAWNT2, Dec 5, 2016.

1. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I just can not believe that Polaris did not put some kind of navigation system in the Slingshot. And the money they charged for the piece of crap they did put in is totally ridiculous. At the very least Polaris should have offered an upgrade of some sort. I am looking for a double din navigation system for my sling. Don't give a flip about the music side of it because I just don't listen to it anyhow, but would like to get lost at times and be able to find my way back home. I do use my cell for that now but would prefer an in dash unit.

LC

2. mmahoney79

mmahoney79 Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you have any issues with the slingmods mounting kit? Was it too tight with the pioneer head unit?

3. Trickle007

Trickle007 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks good. I am waiting for my double din kit from sling mods. I should have it soon and I went with a pioneer also. I am somewhat concerned with the unit not being waterproof but I could not find a double din with a 7 inch display that was waterproof.

4. UYAWNT2

UYAWNT2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    It was tight but I got it all to fit. Lots of wiring behind the radio makes it tough. I actually had to reach in from the engine compartment & kind of guide it in while a buddy pushed from the front.

5. Bohead

Bohead New Member

Thanks Received:
    mine was a tight fit too. I actually just took some sand paper (wrapped around a small piece of wood) and opened up the opening slightly. Abundant amount of wires plus the amp and amp mount kit made it tough to get it to sit completely flush. Took some playing around to get it seated well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mmahoney79

mmahoney79 Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I will be putting the pioneer 4200 nex and during my dry fit it didn't look like it was gonna fit. Did you put the radio and the mounting kit together and drop it in. Or was there a specific step by step you needed to make it fit? To me it lookes like the mounting kit is and 1/8 inch too wide.

7. mcclendons

mcclendons Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:

Did either of you use the strap on the back? I have a 4200, and trying to figure out where to screw the strap to the receiver, would appreciate any guidance. Thanks

8. UYAWNT2

UYAWNT2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    No I didn't really think I needed it. It fits tight enough that it won't move.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bohead

Bohead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same for me... it was pretty snug so no need to strap 'er in. I actually opened up the opening a bit, then wrapped the mount with a little electrical tape to give it some friction, but still be flexible if I needed to remove it.

10. mcclendons

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I appreciate the responses. Will be (re)installing mine today. I left the wires too short, and they were getting trapped under the radio. Think the only place I could bolt a strap to the pioneer may also have been hitting keeping a good fit (reason for strap question).

• Like Like x 1
  11. mcclendons

Thanks Received:
    For anyone planning to use the SlingMods kit....

I originally installed my pioneer with the double din kit. I was not careful enough, and let a wire get under the radio so it would not lay flat. When I tried to remove the radio, it was nearly impossible. I ended up sliding a very small screwdriver on each side of the radios, one at a time, and was able to pop it out. When I did, I noticed a lip on the arms of the mount where they were glued together. I sanded it slightly, then put back in. This said, I'd nicked the mount on both sides, so I ordered a new one (minor nick, but annoying).

I received the new mount kit, and sanded it as advised above prior to install. Prior to sanding, I noticed it was better put together, and did not have the same "lip" that caused the original issue. Sanded both sides slight before install. when I went to install, I was surprised to find this one a MUCH looser fit, still firm, but probably did not need to be sanded.

I would advise looking at kit when you get it, and if there is a lip where the front rectangle glues to the arms, SAND IT OFF! If the kit arms are smooth already, I would try it before sanding...you will be able to tell as soon as you start putting the radio in how tight it is. I was surprised at the difference in quality between the two kits, since same source/vendor. Maybe an old and new version -- the both worked but the new one is nicer and did not need the sanding. Also, be very careful with wires and wire length as others mentioned.