Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

DIY Rear Angle Drive Fluid Change

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sir Mixalot 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016.5 SL LE White Pearl and within only having 60 miles or so I noticed my rear pinion seal is leaking. It was leaking about the size of a quarter every time after I drove it. The dealer couldn't get me in for a couple of weeks so I went ahead and changed the fluid to Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-140 and topped it off. I know a lot of owners were complaining of noise in the angle drive which I don't notice in mine. Some people were advising after the change they noticed a quieter angle drive, some not until several hundred miles, and some not at all. However I decided I was going to do it anyways due to the pinion seal leak. Below you will find a guide on how to do it.

• quart bottle pump(amazon is where i got mine)
  • 1 quart of 75w-140. I used Mobile 1 Synthetic
  • oil pan
  • M8 Hex Socket/Key
  • Flat head
  • Star pattern socket/screwdriver

That should be it.. clean everything and re-torque fill and drain plugs between 10-14 ftlbs.

See less See more
#2 ·
I discovered I could fill/change this fluid without removal of any of the plastic body work. I used a similar plastic tube from the bottle of Mobil 1 and easily held the end of the tubing in the fill hole while filling. The easiest of all fluids to access and change.

One thing I noticed though is that the manuals says to fill with fluid until it begins to flow out of the fill hole. It also says to not over-fill. Not sure how you can overfill when the vertical fill hole overflows when full.

#3 ·
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU SLINGSHOT HAS 50OOO MILES TO SERVICE THE ANGLE DRIVE!!!
As we all know. the angle drive makes a loud whining noise. For that reason, I decided to change the fluid at about 1100 miles. I was shocked to see how much metal shavings were accumulated on the drain plug. It was piled up over a 1/4 inch. T wonder how much damage would have happened If I had waited another 49000 miles. I drained and filled with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W40 Full Synthetic. When I drained the angle drive, about 1/2 quart drained out. I will drive another 100 or so miles and do it again and again until all contamination is gone and the fluid drains clean. Then, at every time I change engine oil and filter. I use Amsoil Signature 5W30 Full Synthetic for the engine and WIX 57082XP oil filter.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.