Comment on Ecotec Motor

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Engine and Performance' started by Ulflyer, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Ulflyer

Ulflyer Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
  2. LargeCar

LargeCar Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    47k plus miles on it and he just bought it. So maybe 35k of hard driving by somebody that never changed the oil, over revved it a lot, let it idle by the hour, let it overheat a dozen times. What I'm saying is I would not put to much stock in one Ecotec burning oil. Especially with an unknown history.

LC

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Dave@ddmworks

Dave@ddmworks Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I found on oil consumption and a TSB is this -

Excessive Oil Consumption – 2010-2013 Buick Chevrolet GMC | gm.oemdtc.com

Which is for the 2.4L engine, but not the same 2.4L LE5/LE9 engine found in the Slingshot. The TSB listed is for the direct injection engines, the LAF/LEA, which do share the same engine displacement of 2.4L, but have different cylinder heads, pistons, etc than the engine in the Slingshot. Oil consumption in the LE5/LE9 engine, found in the Slingshot, has not been a big issue we have ever seen.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MRD

MRD Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems like 4 bangers use more oil after some break in, even my Canam Spyders used up to a quart between oil changes, one was a 2 and the other a 3 cylinder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
  7. sooey2u

sooey2u Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion when going on the Internet for advice I find some people really not looking for advice but just wanting to be justified (in agreement) with their opinion.
    When I make an inquiry I welcome both positive and negative responses.
    I think thats why you, Bill (& Justina) and I are so compatible. In fact we should meet and together pollute this blue Oregon air with a refined cigar and Pendleton alcohol.:cigar:
    Robert

• Like Like x 1
  8. SLINGSHOOTER

SLINGSHOOTER Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    21,000 miles & NO oil useage.;)

9. Mniron

Mniron Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    You never really know the reason of oil consumption sometimes until the engine is torn down. I purchase a vehicle with 7000 miles, well maintained, used a quart of oil every 3000 miles from the day I bought it until about 50000 miles when it would consume a quart of oil any where from 700-1500 miles with no consistency. Oil was change and documented every 3000 miles or less. I had it back to dealership for warranty claims during this time for oil consumption to no avail. Finally at 65000 mile they decided to tear the engine down to find the problem, number four cylinder was the culprit, all cylinders had even and very good compression and very little leak down. The problem was that the engine came out of the factory with no expansion spring behind in the oil ring of the number four piston. So at 65000 miles I ended up with a complete new engine! I will say however if it was not well documented maintenance records I may had been out of luck.

10. Ulflyer

Ulflyer Slingshot Supporter Slingshot Supporter

Thanks Received:
    Dave, thanks for the above . I posted the BITOG article because of the ref to TSB's, not knowing how they might apply to our motors but figured someone would be able to sort out the meaning; You did, and its much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1