Clutch safety switch failure

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Discussions' started by Jsprague1, May 14, 2017.

1. Jsprague1

Jsprague1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had my clutch safety switch fail after 487 miles. Slingshot started and took off while in gear without the clutch being depressed. Happened fast and resulted in the Slingshot running into the hotel we were staying at resulting in $8716. In damage to the machine. Polaris refused to cover damage to the Slingshot caused from a malfunctioning switch.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Expensive lesson. NEVER, EVER start a standard transmission vehicle of any kind without pushing the clutch in (even if you THINK it's in neutral)...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dochatley

dochatley Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't even know there was a safety switch in case you didn't press the clutch in. It's habit to push that sucker in when starting. Forgot on the 2 wheeler a time or two, very embarrassing. So Jsprague1, did you just keep pushing the starter button as it headed for the hotel? Trying to figure out how it happened. Had to be scary experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CodedByCorey

CodedByCorey Member

Thanks Received:
    wow that's terrible. I hope no one was injured.

5. Purplezebra

Purplezebra Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to keep pushing the starter button on the SS.....just press it once and it will continue cranking until it starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rider

Rider Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    And if it happens to be in gear (with a failed safety) it will lurch forward even if it doesn't start and continue moving until you turn off the key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wjfyfe

wjfyfe Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiosity, how old are you, Jsprague1?

Bill

8. Mike in Victoria BC

Mike in Victoria BC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure Jsprague1 realizes he made a mistake, so can we focus on the concern he raises? The safety interlock is there for a reason... because people make mistakes like this and it's a simple way to protect them from harming themselves or others. There's all kinds of safety features on vehicles to protect us, and obviously it's a problem if they don't actually work.

@Jsprague1, do you know if the switch EVER worked? I wonder how well they quality control / test that sort of thing at the factory. Is it possible it shipped like that from the factory (or went bad during shipping)? My traction control switch didn't work from day one, and it turns out a wire was loose.

I assume your damages are being covered by your insurance? So rather than you trying to deal with Polaris, it seems to me this is a matter for your insurance company to deal with (if they choose to pursue Polaris to recover costs).

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Orangeman

Orangeman ...............................

Thanks Received:

Without even looking I can guarantee in the "operation" section of the owners manual they have a disclaimer to never start the engine unless the clutch pedal is depressed and you are out of gear or something very similar to cover Polaris azz ...

10. Jay2thaC

Jay2thaC Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I cant help but question the legitimacy of this claim from someone who just joined on Friday and has only this one post. Damn internet trolls ruining my ability to trust what could be valid information.....:android:

With that said, It sounds like a terrible thing to have happened and I hope nobody was seriously injured.

But, I still dont understand how this would happen? First of all, I ALWAYS apply the clutch before starting a vehicle and I ALWAYS put the vehicle in Neutral first. Also, It sounds like you must have not been inside the vehicle when you started it. If you were, I would think that applying the brakes and ebrake would have prevented collision with the building.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sling ding-a-ling

Sling ding-a-ling Well-Known Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Wait, I am confused. If it won't start without the clutch pressed in normally regardless of gear, why were you pressing the start button without the clutch pressed? o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gamellott

gamellott Member

Thanks Received:
    On that clutch switch, I just wish they had one to kick off the cruise control at the top of the stroke as opposed to the bottom. I'm always using my cruise control and I like to tap the clutch on all of my other vehicles to disengage it. Sadly, I can't do that in the Slingshot. Frequently, the engine revs after pushing in the clutch all the way when I'm slowing down. I'm assuming this is normal or mine has been broken since day one ;)