Canadian Winter build

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Electronics' started by Bohead, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Bohead

Bohead New Member

Thanks Received:
    So with the SS being in storage for the winter in the great white north, I've decided to build up the sound system. Here is a quick list of what I have installed:

Head Unit
    IMG_20170207_105347_1920x1080.jpg IMG_20170207_105229_1920x1080.jpg
    Parrot Asteroid Android head unit. Comes with Nav, Bluetooth, wifi and functions just like an android tablet. I've rooted it, upgraded the play store and can now use android radio apps in addition to just USB and SD storage.

Pods:
    SSV speaker pods. I was going to build my own, but the price was good and they are a pretty good build/volume for the 6.5s I was planning on using so I got these to save time and focus my efforts on the rest of the build.

Amp:
    JL Marine 600/6. M600/6 Chose this amp due to the low amperage draw but high power per channel. Its a 6 channel amp @ 100/chnl which can support 6 channel inputs then bridge down for power. I have 4 channels bridged down to power my 6.5s and 2 channels bridged down to power the sub. High and low pass filters to fine tune.

speakers 6.5s:
    Polk Audio MM series 651. MM651 - Polk Audio Thes have incredible ratings. Sensitivity is incredible with great power handing to maintain super crisp sound at very high volumes. Already installed and hooked up to the amp. They push very high volumes and I am very happy with the combo.

Sub
    IMG_20170207_105423_1920x1080.jpg IMG_20170207_105408_1920x1080.jpg
    Since we have very small volume in the storages, I had to consider the setup an infinite baffle design and buy accordingly. Many subs push well if they are in a box with the appropriate cubic volume which I found were not very close to specs for many of the subs out there. I chose to source the Rockford Fosgate PM212s4 sub. Designed to function and push large volumes in an infinite baffle setup. Response rate is great and can hit the low 35hz. Rockford FosgateĀ® - PM212S4B. I built the infinite baffle mounts and mounted them in the driver side storage compartment. I modified the cover to include the grill to protect the woofer but still allow for full excursion. I have been testing my bridged amp output and it rolls nicely. Can't expect show competition levels due to the open cockpit but rumbles nicely. Turn it up too much and you can get a little nauseous since its firing right behind your head.

panels vibrate with too much bass anyways so I don't need it THAT loud. Now I need to replace the batter because this sub and amp is going to beat the hell out of that puny 2016 battery it came with.

2. Bohead

Bohead New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also wanted to add....

Since the battery is small, attaching more than one hook up is a challenge. I have the jumper ports, the tender adapter and the amp hooked up... so, a quick solution, I went with a power buss bar to manage all my power and ground needs. Don't forget to fuse everything properly!!

terminal-bus-bar-4-point-positive.jpg