Building your own turbo kit. Ideas thread.

Discussion in 'Polaris Slingshot Forced Induction' started by SpaceCowboy, May 16, 2017.

1. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I think it's an obtainable task. I have a LNF turbo sitting around. Has anyone every mocked this turbo up? I think with a turbo manifold it would be a great match for the SS. I can make my own boost charge tubes. Really would just need a intercooler, injectors, turbo manifold, and some a tune. Has anyone really explored this? Obviously summer is pretty much here, just gathering ideas for a possible winter build.

Anyone got some insight? Hater comments not needed this is a think tank kinda thing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Br4hm4

Br4hm4 I'm huge in Japan...

Thanks Received:
    The only real tough part is getting the right turbo manifold to make it fit right and essentially the tuning. The rest of it in theory should be pretty straight forward as long as you have some experience with it. I'd also recommend upgrading the injectors and making sure you have a 2 bar map sensor.

3. SpaceCowboy

Thanks Received:
    Yea I mentioned injectors and the map sensor is a must.

4. Turbosling

Turbosling Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:

Piecing a kit together is not hard. Its the tune that's a tuffy on these machines. Their is no real good software like HP tuners, mega squirt, efi live etc.... for the end user to tune the ecu for boost. You could get a generic turbo tune from bob and sometimes it works sometimes it does not. If you need any DIY parts lmk we can supply you with raw piping bends, injectors etc...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SpaceCowboy

Thanks Received:
    Always good to hear from a fellow cheese head. You answered a big question of tuning. Is it digital wrench that makes it difficult? We have ZZP out here in Michigan but they probably can't tune through Polaris language.

6. Br4hm4

Thanks Received:
    So far all that has responded are cheeseheads! Go Pack Go! I also spent a few years out in MI. It's where I called home before moving to CO.

7. SpaceCowboy

Thanks Received:
    I live near Detroit and miss good ole Wisconsin. I went to school in Minnesota and then moved to Michigan for a job. I will never be a lions fan. Only local team I support is the Red Wings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Br4hm4

Thanks Received:
    I'm very familiar with Ypsi... went down there for a few Gus Macker tournaments in my younger days. Also have some friends that live in the area. Might have to take a road trip back to MI sometime to say hi.

9. SpaceCowboy

Thanks Received:
    Always welcome

• Like Like x 1
  10. Turbosling

Turbosling Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:

No its not digital wrench. ZZP will not be able to access the ECU. The slings ecu is MEfi thats GM's marine division. All cars even the ones that used this engine is OBD. Mefi and OBD do not work with one or another. It would be like speaking French in Japan to Japanese people that only know Japanese.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dave@ddmworks

Dave@ddmworks Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Thanks Received:
    Also, just as an FYI the LNF K04 will not bolt up to the stock LNF exhaust manifold and clear the frame rails on the Slingshot. You can make a custom exhaust manifold for mounting the stock K04 on the 2.4L and probably be able to clear the frame rails, but the flange on the stock K04 is a little different than normal with the dual scroll layout that it has. If you do get it to fit up though, you can drill and tap the thermostat housing on the 2.4L and you will have the water supply for the turbo pretty easy (can use the stock LNF water line) and the oil supply line to the turbo (can also use the stock oil supply line from the LNF). The oil drain is pretty easy to do and the water return for the turbo can be easily plumbed back into the upper radiator hose.

The 2 bar MAP sensor is available from a couple places, we have it on our site for sale and I believe Alpha does also. The injectors everyone are using are common and also available on our site (not sure with Alpha on that one) and also the spark plugs we are using are also available on our site.

2 Bar - 2 bar map sensor with conversion wire
    Inectors - 2.4L Performance 63# Fuel Injectors
    Spark Plugs - Slingshot Turbo / Supercharger NGK Spark plugs, Set o f4

If you do get the K04 to bolt up and clear the frame rail, the response of the K04 on the 2.4L is fantastic, closest thing we have driven to a supercharged response. We have done these installs on the 2.4L Solstice/Sky several times and they are a lot of fun.

As for tuning, Bob@mefiburn is the only game in town right now. ZZP does not have any software to flash the ECM, the only thing that was/is out there is the software from CBM, but my understanding is that it only works with 2015 models, not sure if they were able to get it to work with the newer versions yet, you might check with them.

If you need any help, just ask.
    Hope that helps you out

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. SpaceCowboy

Thanks Received:
    So let's say I have a buddy at Mercury Marine. Would they be able to help?